Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• when I can file for citizenship

I got my Permanent GC based on marriage last month, still happily married, My card's exp date is 5/4/18 and it says i am resident since 5/4/2000

when I can file for citizenship?

I got my Permanent GC based on marriage last month, still happily married, My card's exp date is 5/4/18 and it says i am resident since 5/4/2000

when I can file for citizenship?

Comment

Hi Hpasha and welcome to ILW

When you said you were a resident since 2000, was that when you received your Conditional Green card?

If so, you could have applied for Citizenship back in 2003..basically 90 days before 3rd anniversary since getting your Green card (marriage based).Conditional GC counts towards time.
      -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      God Bless America - God Bless Immigrants - God Bless Poor Misguided Souls Too

National Domestic Violence Hotline:
      1.800.799.SAFE (7233) 1.800.787.

Comment

Actually I am confused..you said you were a resident since 2000, but only got 10yr GC last month?
        -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

yes thats where I am confused myself, Here how it happened:

came as student F1 5/4/2000
          married 11/21/2002
          interview 9/2/2003 approved but name check pending
          Got Permanent GC 5/4/2008

I Never left USA since 2000.

Comment

and No I never for any Tem GC, just Perm (10 year) last month

Comment

You can apply three years after the start of your permanent residency. So...5/4/2011.

Five years on a name check, huh? Bet you were sweating. LOL
              --------------------
              "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. " - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Ok..well as you only got your GC last month, that means you will have to wait until 90 days before your 3rd anniversary from when you received your GC.

I never got a temp one either..and waited long time for 10yr. It is unfortunate how it has worked out, but you will have to wait another just under 3 yrs from now.

Comment

Bad luck with the namecheck c-rap you had to go through. It su-cks you have to wait till 2011 before applying for Citizenship too.
                  "What you see in the photograph isn't what you saw at the time. The real skill of photography is organized visual lying."

Comment

you're not considered resident back in 2000
                    your under F1 visa (non immigrant visa)

JC is right you can apply for citizenship
                    somewhere in 2011

Comment

Excatly,
                      you were not a resident of the US in 2000.You became a resident of the US the day U got your conditional greencard and not a day before.Which is,this Year 2008!
                      You are a resident since 2008. That is very important,make sure you do not tell Social security or the dmv U have been a resident since 2000 lol You are a resident since 2008.

Being a student in the US and living here on a student visa does not make you a resident,you were a student,and nothing else then.

Your name check depended 100% on from what country U are originally from I won;t guess what country, but often its certain countries.Because the name check and background check takes forever to get answers and results from.
                      Be ready,you might face that timeline,when u apply for citizenship!

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation