X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aroha
    replied
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hudson:
    Your wife can turn in her Green card when she leaves the U.S. It will not harm her if she wants to visit the US at a later date. Nor will there be any serious immigration issue either. Before she leaves, and if she has worked in the US, make sure she gets an alien clearance form from the IRS. Furthermore, the two of you can still file jointly toegether and will still be required to report her worldwide income. There will be some avenues to offset any potential double taxation issues. If you live also in India, you too must report all worldwide income. But again, there are avenues to offset the double taxation issues. Good Luck to you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

All Americans living abroad are required to file taxes in the US.

As far as abandoning her status, I don't believe there would be any serious implications provided she was legal while living there. You will have to start from scratch should you decide to go back though, and there will most likely be a bit of a wait since her name will come up as having a previous immigration history and they'll do extra checks.

Your best bet would be to consult a lawyer on this issue.

Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• Theone
    replied
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hudson:
    If she retains the green card and she is out of the country for more than a year, she will have abandoned her status. But again, no serious immigration issues. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe, maybe not, a very complicated issue.

Leave a comment:

• Hudson
    replied
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Olive4u77:
    I am US citizen and my wife is a condition greencard holder, we have filed jointly for condition removal , but in the mean time we are moving back to my wifes country and we want to live their permanently. Since our daughter and myself areUS citizen , I hope my wife dont have any problems if she abondon interview for greencard or greencard?what are the rsiks she will face? we dont have intention of comining back here?I will join my wife and child in later on years in her country?any advise on this plz </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Your wife can turn in her Green card when she leaves the U.S. It will not harm her if she wants to visit the US at a later date. Nor will there be any serious immigration issue either. Before she leaves, and if she has worked in the US, make sure she gets an alien clearance form from the IRS. Furthermore, the two of you can still file jointly toegether and will still be required to report her worldwide income. There will be some avenues to offset any potential double taxation issues. If you live also in India, you too must report all worldwide income. But again, there are avenues to offset the double taxation issues. Good Luck to you.

If she retains the green card and she is out of the country for more than a year, she will have abandoned her status. But again, no serious immigration issues.

Leave a comment:

• SonofMichael
    replied
    Don't let the door hit you on the way out !

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    ...then expect some occasional difficulties until you establish yourself in India....that is just the way it is...but good luck.

Leave a comment:

• Olive4u77
    replied
    my wifes country doesnt permit dual citizenship. she is not intrested in losing her indian citizenship. our child will educate and study in india . My wife doesnt have any relatives in US other than myself and our minor child.so I like to settle in India in later years my wife and our child doesnt want to return US.And our child is US citizen,and Myself.

Leave a comment:

• SonofMichael
    replied
    Learn English and then somebody might believe you are a USC

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I agree with the previous poster...let enough time to go by so your wife can gain US citizenship, after that, nothing matters.
    While it is true that she could later obtain a tourist visa to go the US (when her GC expired), she could run into problems about being perceived as an intending immigrant and go thru a whole bunch of this and that to finally (maybe) get the visa....let her get citizenship, then, nothing else matters (unless her country doesn't like dual citizens...)

Leave a comment:

• 4now
    replied
    Well Ol

I think this is a foolish move . you and daughter are us citizens.

if the uscis decide to interview you for the 751 and both of you do not attend. then her greencard will terminate. period. At least if you got her the 10yrs card.. you would have a better chance at keeping it active.. and within another 9 months she could apply for citizenship based on marriage to you. THIS is the MOST IMPORTANT part of this process. Once she obtains her citizenship, then she will be no different than you and your daughter. It wont matter if she never comes back to usa, as she will always remain a us citizen,

Dont be foolish on this one

Leave a comment:

• Olive4u77
    replied
    I am US citizen and my wife is a condition greencard holder, we have filed jointly for condition removal , but in the mean time we are moving back to my wifes country and we want to live their permanently. Since our daughter and myself areUS citizen , I hope my wife dont have any problems if she abondon interview for greencard or greencard?what are the rsiks she will face? we dont have intention of comining back here?I will join my wife and child in later on years in her country?any advise on this plz

Leave a comment:

• Olive4u77
    started a topic Dont want to live in US

Dont want to live in US

I am US citizen and my wife is a condition greencard holder, we have filed jointly for condition removal , but in the mean time we are moving back to my wifes country and we want to live their permanently. Since our daughter and myself areUS citizen , I hope my wife dont have any problems if she abondon interview for greencard or greencard?what are the rsiks she will face? we dont have intention of comining back here?I will join my wife and child in later on years in her country?any advise on this plz
Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation

Attorney2Attorney