Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

N-400 while I-751 pending and how long for NSC?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• N-400 while I-751 pending and how long for NSC?

Hello!

I'm sure that this has been discussed here before but I could just not find the right search phrases to find it:

Is it possible to file an N-400 while the I-751 is pending? How long does the N-400 take for the (NSC)? Any experiences?

Thanks,
    Joe

Hello!

I'm sure that this has been discussed here before but I could just not find the right search phrases to find it:

Is it possible to file an N-400 while the I-751 is pending? How long does the N-400 take for the (NSC)? Any experiences?

Thanks,
    Joe

Comment

Hello. Yes, you can file the N-400 while the I-751 is pending. Chances are that you may get naturalized before your I-751 would have been approved. In case this happens, the I-751 is automatically approved by virtue of your naturalization. In general, it takes between 1 year to 18 months for a naturalization from beginning to end. Good luck!

Comment

Hello NYCImmParalegal!

Thanks for the info! When can I file the N-400? 90 days before the three year anniversary of my Permanent Resident Status or right on the date of it?

Thanks again,
        Joe

Comment

NYCImmParalegal,

Not to be pedantic but technically the I-751 must be approved before the N-400 can be processed. This may occur only minutes before the N-400 is adjudicated by the USCIS officer. The N-400 cannot legally be approved until the I-751 is approved. Nonetheless, the processing of the N-400 can certainly hasten the I-751 adjudication time.

Comment

Sphyrapicus -

But I can still file the N-400 ... right?

Thanks,
            Joe

Comment

Duchtel,

Yes, by all means you should file your N-400. All that I am saying is that the adjudicating officer will have to approve your I-751 before he/she can proceed with the N-400. Sometimes things are slowed up because your district office needs to get the I-751 info from the Service Center. They must have your file in front of them to process the I-751 information if it has not already been processed.

Comment

Sphyrapicus -

Great ... thanks! But there is not a 90 day rule that allows you to file 90 days before the expiration of the Permanent Resident Card like for I-751?

Thanks again,
                Joe

Comment

Joe,

Yes, you can file 90 days prior to the 3 year anniversary of obtaining LPR status, assuming you meet all of the conditions.

Comment

Cool ... thanks so much for the information!

Joe

Comment

D,
                      You may want to look at a thread started by "Daniel" regarding this. In his case (if I remember correctly) there was a delay on N-400 interview because his I-751 file had not made it to the office where the N-400 interview was to take place. Once file was there and he was interviewed the office processed the I-751, then the N-400, as Sphyr said. You might find reading about his experience interesting or helpful.

Comment

Does the conditional GReen Card come under the category of LPR ?

Is it 90 days prior to 3 year anniversary of obtaining LPR status or Conditional LPR ?

Comment

Conditional Green Card comes on the LPR category, because you are a LPR 'on a conditional basis'

Yes, you can apply for n400 2 years and 9months after the day you were adjusted to CPR.

Comment

Thanks Aguila.

I will be a father in June. Do you think having a child and writing that on N400 will make processing go any faster or smoother ?

Comment

AK500:

Congratulations for becoming a father, unfortunately that won't matter for USCIS...you just have to be patient :-)

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation