The Matter of REAL ID card

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Then this REAL ID going to be some third type of ID which will say your status as well, or what? o.O
    Jeanine,

If this rule goes into effect as it stands now, the follow is what may happen:

You go to the DMV to apply for a REAL ID card. The first thing they will do is take your picture. Then you will provide them with evidence of your immigration status (i.e. if you are a citizen, you can show your passport, birht certificate, etc. If you are LPR then you show your GC card).

They will make copies of this document, and forward them to DHS/CIS for verification. If things check out right, you get a REAL ID card. On the other hand, if your documents/status are false, then you probably will receive a letter rejecting your REAL ID Card application. This may be followed by CIS officer showing up at your door to haul you away.

This is why Chertoff himself said that only three categories of individuals(Terrorists, illegal aliens, and Con Men) need to be worried by this new rule.

However, there are citizens/LPRs who are also bothered by the fact that this REAL ID card will have chips embeded in it, that will allow the authorities to "track" anyone, and know exactly where they are at any given time. The chips in the REAL ID card can be "pinged" or queried, and they will respond, sending signal as to where the card holder is. Conceivably, they can know when you are on the freeway or at home. This is one of the privacy issues that bothers some people, regadless of immigration status.

Now, the reational for this REAL ID card is "national security".

Comment

Originally posted by WaitingToExhale:
      [However, there are citizens/LPRs who are also bothered by the fact that this REAL ID card will have chips embeded in it, that will allow the authorities to "track" anyone, and know exactly where they are at any given time. The chips in the REAL ID card can be "pinged" or queried, and they will respond, sending signal as to where the card holder is. Conceivably, they can know when you are on the freeway or at home. This is one of the privacy issues that bothers some people, regadless of immigration status.

Now, the reational for this REAL ID card is "national security".
      How about that, Big Brother will be watching you!!!!

Comment

Hey "WaitingToExhale",

That kindda sounds cool...I like that. When this may become effect because then I'll renew my ID and DL just for the sake of having new ones...
        Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there.

Comment

Talking of chips..
          My UK passport is the new type with the chip in the back, eventually all UK passports will be like that. Its a good idea really.
          -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          God Bless America - God Bless Immigrants - God Bless Poor Misguided Souls Too

National Domestic Violence Hotline:
          1.800.799.SAFE (7233) 1.800.787.

Comment

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources