Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Matter of REAL ID card

It is said that a person cannot get a REAL ID card unless he/she is a citizen or LPR.

It is also said that a person cannot enter any Federal building without a REAL ID card.

Now, what about those who are not citizens and are not yet LPR, but still need to do business in a Federal building e.g., file application, check status or even attend an interview with CIS in a Federal building?

Buy the way, what disgrace or tarnishment does a Federal Building suffer, just because a non-LPR or non-citizen enters that building? Does the building suddenly becomes devalued?

Is it not true that "illegals/undocumented" have been entering and exiting these buildings for many years now? In fact, some of them may have been entering these buildings in the dead of night to do janitorial work. So, it is rather baffling that the idea of entering a building is so significant for this law.

Waiting to Exhale: I'm not sure whether you're truly unaware of the situation regarding entry to Federal buildings, or whether you're trying to cause panic and sympathy for illegal aliens and others.

You're correct in saying that certain people will be unable to obtain a REAL ID card, however a REAL ID card will NOT be the only acceptable form of identification for entry to a Federal building.

A valid passport will be acceptable identification, for example. So, you can rest easy...unless, of course, you don't have a valid passport.

Comment

Sundevil is correct, before I received my work permit and GC, my passport was only form of ID in this country. I showed my passport to enter any Federal building without problems.
      -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      God Bless America - God Bless Immigrants - God Bless Poor Misguided Souls Too

National Domestic Violence Hotline:
      1.800.799.SAFE (7233) 1.800.787.

Comment

Granted that one can use "Valid" Passport, but how many of the so-called "Undocumented" actually carry a passport?

Secondly, with all this talk about the prevalence of fake documents, how would the security guard ascertain the validity of a passport? In other words, what constitutes "VALID" in this case?

Furthermore, if "a valid passport" is acceptable, why isn't a state driver's license acceptable?

Comment

As I stated above, it may be acceptable "NOW", "TODAY", use passport to enter a federal building, but come May 2008, it doesn't appear likely that this will be the case. Below is a quote from DHS:

"At a news conference Friday in Washington, Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff said the phased-in program gives states greater flexibility in implementing it.

Under the new timetable, people under the age of 50 must be issued Real ID - compliant identification cards by the end of 2014. For people over 50, enrollment may be extended to the end of 2017.

The new ID cards will be needed for boarding a plane or entering a federal building."

Nothing in the quote above mentions anything about "Valid Passport".

Comment

A valid drivers license is ok too. My husband used his to enter a Fed building.
            -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

...you haven't read the entirety of the rules.

Comment

Has that Real ID thing been pushed back for some years now? From what I heard most State appose it too, and its costly.

Comment

Here you go, the latest on the subject:

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-984...tag=nefd.pulse

Comment

This is taken directly from page 1 of the 162-page rule:

"This rule proposes standards to meet the minimum requirements of the REAL ID Act of 2005, including: information and security features that must be incorporated into each card; application information to establish the identity and immigration status of an applicant before a card can be issued; and physical security standards for locations where driver's licenses and applicable identification cards are issued."

Notice this statement: "application information to establish the identity and immigration status of an applicant before a card can be issued"?

So, this matter is not just about identification or valid passport. In fact, part of the its intent is to is to fish out "illegals", and track "legal aliens", this cannot be done with passport or driver license alone, hence the idea or REAL ID, which is only obtainable if the person is not "illegal".

Chertoffs own words:

"Only three categories of people need be "disappointed" by the forthcoming identification cards, the Homeland Security chief told attendees at a midday press conference here: terrorists, illegal immigrants, and con-men."

Therefore my question remains. An "illegal/undocumented" has just started the process of legalizing, he/she needs to enter a federal building (e.g. CIS/DHS), has no REAL ID card, what happens?

Comment

When I have entered any Federal Building, they only look at my ID, they don't run checks on it or anything.
                      I have been to DHS, they never asked me to show ID to enter the building. Only need ID if I need something from them.

I do know what you are saying though, but Real ID thing has not been finalized and still some flaws in it from what I have heard.

In my State, due to the new laws, to obtain a drivers license or renew one, you have to prove legal status here, otherwise you can't get one and you will be reported.
                      You can also get arrested if you cannot prove to the Police if you are pulled over, if you can't prove your status here.
                      Gradually they are cracking down and finding ways to stop undocumented people.
                      Not sure how they get around Fed buildings now in this State, without proper documents and ID.

Comment

Hi Sprint, I think what waitingtoexhale is saying, is if an Illegal/undocumented who has no form of ID, how would they get into a federal building, if you remeber when we got our letters to go for fingerprints etc., we had to bring our passports along with the letter.

Would the Illegals /undocumented have some sort of ID from there own country ie drivers licence.

Comment

Well...illegal aliens aren't even supposed to be in America, therefore, they shouldn't be going to Federal buildings. Case closed!!

Comment

This thread is for people who can reason, who can intellectualize.

My orginial post and my last post laid out the scenario. A currently illegal/undocumented somehow has a legal footing for adjusting his/her status (e.g. those CSS/LULAC/LIFE Act applicants whose cases are still pending), needs to enter a federal building. What happens?

Notice that the rules did not even mention the use of EAD (document produced by DHS itself) as an alternative acceptable document.

May be what will happen is that, if such applicant shows up at the federal building (e.g. CIS), the disgruntled CIS officer will have to come to the front door and vouch for the applicant to be let in? This means one should add years to the application process.

Comment

The ruling isn't final, I bet there'll be more changes before its fully implemented in 2011 (if that doesn't get push back further).
                              Regardless, RealID act is a good thing for this country.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation