Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foreign Residency Requirement???

Is this always the case for F1 visas and what does it mean? My girlfriend is applying for
    an F1 visa and I'd like to know what its about.

thanks.

Jay

Is this always the case for F1 visas and what does it mean? My girlfriend is applying for
    an F1 visa and I'd like to know what its about.

thanks.

Jay

Comment

hello!
      i eneted the USA using an F1 visa and have been maintaining my F1 status since 1999.

i'm not really sure what your question is. can you give us more information. thanks!

Comment

HRR - home residency requirement, although it is sometimes called foreign residency requirement -- only applies to J-1 and J-2 visas. F-1 is for international students, and DOES NOT have home residency requirement. Rest easy!

Comment

Lucy - Thanks

PCR - How hard/simple is the F1 application process? I know for a fact that one has to have the financial means to support their studies/stay here in the US for the first year which is somewhere in the $20K. Do you have to
          show proof the you have that much money every year to keep the F1 status?

Comment

No, you only have to show it to actually receive the status in the first place and to get F-1 visa. Status is given to you for 4 years + 60 days grace period for Bachelor's degree, 2 years for Master's and 4 years for PhD.

Once you enter on F-1 visa, you can remain in the States for the duration of your status, as long as you do not violate the provisions of your status (such as illegal work, or taking less than full load without prior authorization).

As for the ease of getting F-1, it depends on the country. In any case, besides the financial side, you will have to prove sufficien ties to your own country, and that you will return there upon completion of your program. good luck!

Comment

The amount of money you will have to show depends on the University. For graduate programs it runs well in the 30K range.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation