Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is $3000 an acceptable amount for lawyer services?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is $3000 an acceptable amount for lawyer services?

i'm in florida.
    how much were you charged to have lawyer file i-130, i-485, i-765, affidavit of support, and other supporting forms? i found one immigration lawyer who quoted me $3000 us dollars. is that too expensive?

i'm in florida.
    how much were you charged to have lawyer file i-130, i-485, i-765, affidavit of support, and other supporting forms? i found one immigration lawyer who quoted me $3000 us dollars. is that too expensive?

Comment

to answer that question, just ask yourself how long you think it would take YOU to fill out those forms....I would guess somewhere around 3 hours, since you've never done it before....and an immigration attorney would not need 3 hours to fill them out, since they have completed them before....so you'd be paying $1000 an hour to have some immigration attorney's paralegal do this "work"....now, what do you think about this projected bill? (it's a complete ripoff)...even if you spent 5 or 6 hours doing this, you'd be ahead of the game....none of these forms require a college degree to complete ...just a ballpoint pen and some time....immigration attorneys will try to convince you that their 'assistance' is crucial to the outcome, but in reality, their 'assistance' just costs a lot of money and doesn't have any positive effect on the outcome....but you decide....

Comment

Law School costs $100,000; the bar exam and license fees cost $5000 or more. You should pay whatever he asks and be greatful - You are getting $100,000 worth of advice !

Comment

Dear Duracell:

My name is Cheryl D. Uzamere. I live in Brooklyn, New York.

Please visit the Legal Aid Society. They are located in New York City, but they might be able to tell you where you can get free legal assistance for yourself or for people you know that don't have a lot of money to pay immigrations attorneys. The Legal Aid Society is a very reputable organization of attorneys who represent individuals for the public good.

Their contact information in New York City is:

Legal Aid Society Headquarters
          199 Water Street
          New York, NY 10038
          Tel: (212) 577-3300
          Fax: (212) 509-8761

A few Legal Aid attorneys are immigrants just like you. They understand that there are a few unscrupulous immigration attorneys who will take advantage immigrants who are desperate. However, they will not take advantage of you. They will sit down with you and help you. They will not rip you off.

Give them a call.

If you want to, let me know what happened.

I hope I was able to help.

Welcome to America, my friend. I hope you enjoy your stay with us.
          I AM A VICTIM OF A GREEN CARD MARRIAGE SCAM. THE PERPETRATOR IS SENATOR EHIGHE EDOBOR UZAMERE. THE IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS WHO PROVIDED SERVICES THAT HELPED HIM USE SUBTERFUGE TO TRICK ME ARE ALLEN E. KAYE AND HARVEY SHAPIRO. THIS IS THE TRUTH -- AND

Comment

This video will help you

http://youtube.com/watch?v=beGjncfEPt8

Comment

Durasell-

You gave us very little information with your post about your case. If you have a complicated case involving criminal or immigration violations, then it will probably require more of the attorney's time and effort. Is the attorney well regarded and have lots of immigration experience, or not? Does the $3,000 include the filing fees or not? Does the $3,000 include having the attorney go with you to the adjustment interview, include translations of foreign documents, etc? Let's put it this way, if the $3,000 includes the filing fees to the USCIS then you are getting a good deal, no matter what. If it doesn't then it probably depends on the situation.
              Note: This is not legal advice. For legal advice contact a competent immigration attorney. http://asylumlaw.blogspot.com

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Someone12:
                to answer that question, just ask yourself how long you think it would take YOU to fill out those forms....I would guess somewhere around 3 hours, since you've never done it before....and an immigration attorney would not need 3 hours to fill them out, since they have completed them before....so you'd be paying $1000 an hour to have some immigration attorney's paralegal
                do this "work"....now, what do you think about this projected bill? (it's a complete
                ripoff)...even if you spent 5 or 6 hours doing this, you'd be ahead of the game....none of these forms require a college degree to complete ...just a ballpoint pen and some time....immigration attorneys will try to convince you that their 'assistance' is crucial to the outcome, but in reality, their 'assistance' just costs a lot of money and doesn't have any positive effect on the outcome....but you decide.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

for once, a very good advice
                "If there is anyone out there who still doubts that America is a place where all things are possible, who still wonders if the dream of our founders is alive in our time, who still questions the power of our democracy, tonight is your answer." -US Pr

Comment

The correct way to analyze this is not to calculate how much you save by doing the forms yourself, but how much money you will lose by messing up and getting put into deportation proceedings. Society has the moral obligation to pay for lawyers because lawyers are the guardians of liberty.

Comment

A lawyer does much more than just file the paper work. The mere presents of an attorney's name on the application almost guarantees that the CIS will not discriminate against you. or play any games. When you go it yourself, you put yourself into a very vulnerable situation.

If the interviewing officer happens to not like you, for any reason or non-reason. Without an attorney present anything said or not said at that interview has no witness. The officers word will always be taken above the word of the applicant. For example, if the officer states that you confessed a visa violation during the interview. (even if you did not) That lie will take you down. The officer would never even bother to try and lie, if an attorney was a witness during the interview.

An immigration attorney is like health insurance. You may never need it, but if you do, you really do!

Counter point:
                    Remember, the attorney's main objective is to extract money from you. So depending on the type of case you have, should help you decide.

Comment

Dear Cyberposters:

I have to agree with Unique. The most important job in the world is that of being an attorney. Without interpreters of law, there is no justice. Where there is no justice, there is chaos.

Whether the attorney's specialty is immigration law, corporate law, real estate law or any other type of law, a person is always blessed to have an attorney who will fight vigorously to defend his/her client. A good attorney knows the law and will always interpret it to benefit his client.

Remember: Having rights is useless if you don't know them. Attorneys know.
                      I AM A VICTIM OF A GREEN CARD MARRIAGE SCAM. THE PERPETRATOR IS SENATOR EHIGHE EDOBOR UZAMERE. THE IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS WHO PROVIDED SERVICES THAT HELPED HIM USE SUBTERFUGE TO TRICK ME ARE ALLEN E. KAYE AND HARVEY SHAPIRO. THIS IS THE TRUTH -- AND

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cheryl D. Uzamere:
                        Dear Cyberposters:

I have to agree with Unique. The most important job in the world is that of being an attorney. Without interpreters of law, there is no justice. Where there is no justice, there is chaos.

Remember: Having rights is useless if you don't know them. Attorneys know. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Excellent good advice !!!!

Comment

ONLY CRIMINALS NEED LAWYERS !

(And most people on this board fit that criteria!)

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SonofMichael:
                            ONLY CRIMINALS NEED LAWYERS !

(And most people on this board fit that criteria!) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Charming! Watch out Michael..Cheryl will sue you next for defamation or something lol
                            -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            God Bless America - God Bless Immigrants - God Bless Poor Misguided Souls Too

National Domestic Violence Hotline:
                            1.800.799.SAFE (7233) 1.800.787.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">i'm in florida.
                              how much were you charged to have lawyer file i-130, i-485, i-765, affidavit of support, and other supporting forms? i found one immigration lawyer who quoted me $3000 us dollars. is that too expensive? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi durasell2008,

Welcome to ILW,

Yes $3000 is expensive. They usually charge
                              $2000 the most for service thats includes your interview.( you can bring the lawyer on your interview)

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation