X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PASSPORT ISSUE??!

HELLO EVERYONE,
    I need to go home to see my Dad, my conditional green card is on its way, the only concern i have is that my passport has my maiden name in it not my married, and it takes 3 months to have it changed, i dont have that much time.
    CAN I SAFELY RETURN WITHOUT GETTING INTO ANY PROBLEMS WITH AUTHORITIES, ONLY HAVING MY BLANK PASSPORT (NO VISA IN IT, WHEN I LOST IT I GOT A NEW ONE) NOW IT WONT MATCH MY MARRIED NAME ON MY GREENCARD, WOULD THIS BE A PROBLEM??

HELLO EVERYONE,
    I need to go home to see my Dad, my conditional green card is on its way, the only concern i have is that my passport has my maiden name in it not my married, and it takes 3 months to have it changed, i dont have that much time.
    CAN I SAFELY RETURN WITHOUT GETTING INTO ANY PROBLEMS WITH AUTHORITIES, ONLY HAVING MY BLANK PASSPORT (NO VISA IN IT, WHEN I LOST IT I GOT A NEW ONE) NOW IT WONT MATCH MY MARRIED NAME ON MY GREENCARD, WOULD THIS BE A PROBLEM??

Comment

Hi Csunkala,

Have you called the Embassy here? In most cases you should be able to get your passport renewed quickly for emergency purposes, like having to go and see your sick father.
      The British one for example can expedite a new passport within days..sometimes even 48 hrs.
      Try calling your embassy and ask the timeline to have it expedited back to you as you need to leave soon.

Was there a reason why you didn't change your name on your passport when you got the new one?

Anyhow.. even though I have known people to have used their passport with their maiden name still on them..some have come across problems, like further questioning and so on. Whatever you do, make sure you take your marriage license and any other supporting documentation like immigration etc..

Since security had stepped up, they will ask why you have not changed your name in all this time.

Also you need to check with the airline..whether you need to book as per passport or Green card. Most often they require the same as passport. International flights are stricter than domestic. Rules keep changing.

Remember when you re-enter the US, you only need to show your Green Card. (unless they ask of course)
      -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      God Bless America - God Bless Immigrants - God Bless Poor Misguided Souls Too

National Domestic Violence Hotline:
      1.800.799.SAFE (7233) 1.800.787.

Comment

Hey,
        When i got my new passport that was over 6 years ago, i wasnt married then, but why haven't i changed it since i'vebeen married (over a year ago) well, to be honest, i wasnt planning to travel for awhile, and i sure didnt expect this to happen. :-(( I lost my Mom already now my Dad is slipping away. its so unfair!!**** it. anyway, i might just wait for my passport i dont want to get in any trouble.

Comment

I am so sorry for your loss and your father being sick.. I have been there too and I know how stressful it can be waiting for Green Card or papers etc so you can fly out as soon as possible.

You can fly out still with your old passport..some people have done this, and there is no requirement to take your husbands name anyway. The fact you don't have your old visa in your passport, will be when you need to show your Green Card coming back if asked.
          But remember coming back at port of entry..you will only need to show your Green Card, unless they ask for more.
          Just take your marriage license with you to show why it was changed on Green Card.

If you have time..I would rather renew my passport and have it expedited. You can write a note to say your father is sick. Best thing to do is call your Embassy tomorrow, and ask them what are your options. If you can get it back in days, then it would be worth it.

If not, check the airline you want to travel with and ask them what name do you need to book with..passport name or new married name (GC).

Don't worry, many have flown with maiden name.

My thoughts are with you and your family, hope everything will go smoothly for you.
          -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Thanks Sprint for your support, yeah, I guess I'll wait but call tomorrow to find out if i can expedite it, although i called the embassy today in New york they said they cant, but i just might have to a little bit more assertive.
            i thought having the greencard is the main key and they wouldnt ask any further question. i really dont understand why they would make problems out of it if they do at all?!
            so if i have my new passport with my married name but still wont have visa in it, would that be another issue then? or its mainly the fact that they want to see my name matching in passport and greencard?

Comment

No, the visa isn't a problem. The Green Card is what you need to re-enter the US. You may need to show it at check in when you are leaving the said country you are visiting if they require a visa to visit the US. You would be more familiar with that than me.

Once you got your Green Card, the visa doesn't mean anything now, you don't need one, in fact it would have expired now anyway.

The Green card shows that you are legally here as a permanent resident in the US. No visa required anymore.

If you have no joy at the embassy (remember to tell them you need to go and visit sick father and need to fly out very soon, you can still fly out with old passport with maiden name.

Just check what name you have to book your tickets under with airline. The Green card will basically be needed as you leave and when you re-enter. Mostly for re-entering at port of entry, that is when the Green Card is most important to show immigration that you are a legal resident here.

Don't worry..as long as you have your marriage license with you, if you go with old passport.. there isn't a lot they can do. Just make sure you take Green Card too ok.

Like I said..many many people have traveled with maiden name before..you won't be the first. Often newly weds don't have time to change name on passport, so this happens a lot.

Comment

Oh one more thing...very important. As you got your passport 6 yrs ago..be sure to check that your passport is the new biometric one..that is a requirement to travel to the US with. In fact some other countries require it too.
                Best to check before you leave, your home country rules too.

They put it in force a year ago or two..so check that your passport is in fact the new acceptable one.
                The newer ones that are being issued by some countries (like the UK) actually have microchips in them too, but not yet a requirement.

Comment

i had to deal with that same problem.. in my embassy they took our passport and gave it back to us the same day when we went to change my name on my passport.. it just takes hours i think we waited 2 hours or so to get it back... so maybe they will do that for you to..

Comment

THANK YOU BOTH OF YOU!! My passport is not the new kind,... :-( not the biometric one, shoot, im calling the authorities tomorrow, I mean tonight theres a few our differences, and see if they can do it without going to the consulate here in New york.
                    i will let you know . thanks for preparing me and giving me all this info. I appreciate it.

Comment

You're welcome csunkala.

I think the passport has to be a machine readable one or something. The newer types are not mandatory yet.
                      I am sure your consulate will be able to tell you whether you can still travel on the passport you have or not. Best to check like I said. Hope they help you

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sprint_girl07:
                        Oh one more thing...very important. As you got your passport 6 yrs ago..be sure to check that your passport is the new biometric one..that is a requirement to travel to the US with. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> As far as I know, that's the requirement only if one wants to enter the USA on VWP. (or more precise it is requirement that the country that particapates in VWP is issuing those passports. Old ones, only machin readable, if from such country, can also be used)

Comment

Dear Sprint,
                          Where did you get this very important info, that the new biometric passport is a mandatory to enter the US??? I'd like to read into it, because there's so many of us whose passport has not expired, so we all should change it to the new ones eventhough they're still valid?thanks Sprint for your time!!!

Comment

Hi csunkala,

Aneri is right, the biometric one so far is required for people arriving on the VWP to the US.
                            I know of people who have been asked to change it when returning to the US, to the machine readable one, but having read about it, I can't see any legal requirement that they have to. They are Green Card holders so really they are not required to as yet.

Passports started to change to machine readable ones then the microchip ones over these past years.

Some other countries require that you have the machine readable ones at least, for security purposes and its easier for them to scan. You need to check with the country you are going to, and see if they require a particular passport to enter. IF you can speak to someone about it, your consulate here should have it on their website about it.

If the country you are visiting does not have a VWP agreement with the US..and you use your old passport... be sure to show them the Green Card upon returning here, as they may check your passport for a valid visa so you can visit the US. Your Green Card will be proof you can come to the US without a visa.

Airlines and check In desks are different everywhere, some ask to check documents first, some don't.

If you chose to use your old passport..the only thing that could happen is that they will question you further at Port of Entry here because of the different name and may ask why you haven't updated passport yet. (that is if the ask to see it of course) They can't do anything, it happens a lot, just a nuisance having to be asked more questions that is all.
                            Just make sure if you do..take your marriage license with you too (and have it on your carry on).

Personally if it was me and I had time...I would get the new passport in new name. That way all my ID's were the same.

Comment

thanks a bunch, Sprint, well i checked with my consulate and I was lucky enough to talk to the head of the consulate, after a millions of phone calls and he told me that the old passport should be just fine, it's not mandatory by my country to only use the new e passports.
                              so we that said, what is the worst case scenerio, just some questioning u think or they oculd also deny my entry.? :-(

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation