Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traveling out of USA with I-751 NOA/Extension

Hi, my husband just received his NOA for our jointly filed I-751. We are planning a short trip out of the US to visit his family.

My husband is anxious about traveling out of the country with an expired GC and NOA as he is worried that other countries who check his GC upon entry (they did this in Denmark and Lithuania) wont understand the NOA as a legal extension of his GC. Has anyone had experience actually traveling with an NOA? Has anyone had any problems with this? We are mostly concerned about other nations and not so much with re-entry through US customs.

Thanks, Ona

Hi, my husband just received his NOA for our jointly filed I-751. We are planning a short trip out of the US to visit his family.

My husband is anxious about traveling out of the country with an expired GC and NOA as he is worried that other countries who check his GC upon entry (they did this in Denmark and Lithuania) wont understand the NOA as a legal extension of his GC. Has anyone had experience actually traveling with an NOA? Has anyone had any problems with this? We are mostly concerned about other nations and not so much with re-entry through US customs.

Thanks, Ona

Comment

My daughter and I have both travelled to Canada with the extension letter. Once the immigration officer told me that I was already expired and I pointed out to her the letter stated a one year extension. She went to her superior and then told us to have a great flight. Make sure you take *both* the letter and the GC with you when you travel, along with your other identification.

Comment

Hi Ona,

I am confused. To enter any country other than USA, all one (USA resident) needs is valid passport and visa for that country (if required). At least, that's my experience.
        I've entered many countries while having expired GC and NOA, including Denamrk, and all I had to do is to show my passport.
        It is a different story on the way back - to the USA, as the airline people have to make sure one has proper documentation to enter the USA. I simply say: here is my GC,... but it expired, so I have this letter that extends it... most of the time they don't even look at the NOA. No problem so far...

Have a nice trip

Comment

I have posted about this in the past and can confirm that there will be no issues RETURNING to the US with an expired GC, the NOA, and for good measure, a valid passport from your country of citizenship.

As far as entering other countries, I always do that under my passport not my GC. So any issues at the point of desitnation would depend on visa requirements for citizens of your actual country of citizenship.

IE: I carry a Canadian poassport. When I enter counties like Belgium, Japan, UK, etc - I get in on their tourist or business traveller visa rules for Canadians.

Hope that helps.

ARQU

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs