•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tkalush
    replied
    Hi Bronzelady
    What I wanted to find out is how a country can get 31,600, another one 27,000 etc. if the maximum is 50,000. Another part of the bulletin i don't understand is the statement "Section 202 prescribes that the per-country limit for preference immigrants is set at 7% of the total annual family-sponsored and employment-based preference limits, i.e., 30,130 for FY 2004.

Leave a comment:

• BronzeLady
    replied
    There are 50,000 (the numbers are reduced for NACARA & HRIFA green cards) visas available. Not 50,000 per region but 50,000 for ALL of the regions combined. That's why the number is different for different regions.

Leave a comment:

• tkalush
    replied
    Just a question about the visa bulletin and DV lottery numbers, the way I understood it the maximum number of visas in this category is 55000, how come there are certain countries being listed as having 31,600 27,600 etc. How can this be?

Leave a comment:

• Mo
    replied
    For those with little knowledge for I-130 and I-485 (AOS) processings...

Source: Murthy.com

The USCIS defines a backlogged case essentially as any case that has been with the USCIS more than three to six months from any given date, depending on the case type and the target processing times. Based on this definition, the USCIS has determined that there were approximately 3.4 million cases in the backlog at the end of 2003.

At present, the worst backlog is in the petitions for relatives, Form I-130, with 81% of the cases backlogged. The current average waiting time for adjudication of Form I-130 is 35 months or almost 3 years! Of course, this is due in part to the lower priority in processing given to Form I-130 for those relatives with substantially backlogged priority dates. Because many of the categories of relatives cannot benefit from the I-130s for at least several years, even with an approval, these cases were viewed as far less urgent.

One form that does create problems due to the backlogs is Form I-131, when used for reentry permits. This type of case has a 72% backlog, with an average processing time of 11 months. Many MurthyDotCom and MurthyBulletin readers are familiar with the I-140 Petitions filed in connection with employment-based immigration cases. These petitions have a 31% backlog, also with an average time of 11 months. Another familiar form with extended processing times is the Application for Adjustment of Status, Form I-485. These applications have an average processing time of 23 months (or approximately 2 years), resulting in a 62% backlog.

The USCIS believes that Applications for Change / Extension of Status, Form I-539, should be processed within 3 months. Therefore, though the average processing time is currently 4 months, the USCIS calculates a 45% backlog in I-539 cases. Finally, citizenship applications, Form N-400s, have a 57% backlog, with the average decision time of 14 months. Clearly, the backlogs are a problem and lengthy adjudications create numerous difficulties and unjust situations.

Backlog Reduction Plan

There are currently more than 6 million cases pending at the USCIS, with an average annual receipt of nearly 6 million cases. Therefore, until the backlog is reduced, the USCIS has estimated that they will need to adjudicate more than 7 million cases per year. This level of effort represents almost a 20% increase in productivity for the USCIS.

The USCIS has developed milestones for particular cases for which backlogs are an issue. The goal, essentially, is to reduce the processing time for each type of backlogged case each year.

I-130 Goals :

An example of the milestones for the most backlogged petition, the I-130 shows an improvement that, if accomplished, would be quite remarkable. The I-130 petitions are targeted to be reduced from the current 35-month processing time to a 30-month processing time by the end of this fiscal year. This processing time will then, under the plan, be further reduced to 16 months by the end of FY2005, and to 6 months by the end of FY2006.

Good Luck People... You need it.

Leave a comment:

• Sunita
    replied
    Hi K2003 our priority date is 8 september 1998 so you are well before us which is good atleast it will make your waiting a little easier knowing a lot of others are behind you .my neighbour is August the15 1999 and I am happy I am infront that I don't have so long to wait in comparison to them.Well let's hope by xmas we passed a four months waiting time which will be easier on us all.I think what kept our waiting period so long is because a lot of parents acquired their their citizenship then upgraded their children petition from f2b to f3 so their children went and get married and their entire family qualified for an f3 visa and that put a strain on our petitions that was originally filed as f3.At the time I was sponsered it was only three years waiting time.Anyway all we have to do is wait and wait

Leave a comment:

• k2003
    replied
    Well, it had been moving along...and we had hoped to be there by now. I am really hoping now that it will pick up...we are only out about 6 months.
    If it went back to moving forward 1 month every month, we would be ok...if not, then we had better start looking at other options!
    I am waiting to see what happens in FY2005 (first few months),then we will make a decision if we need to change strategies.
    Surely to goodness, it couldn't be 6.5 years....we have already waited that long!!!

Leave a comment:

• Mo
    replied
    April 98? - and I though I was far-off from my priority date - which is only 59 days from the current cut-off date in F1.

April98 is about 6.5 years gap to this date, and is continuing to extend, based on what's happening these days.... I hope they get to you very soon. Best wishes to all who are suffering under this system.

Leave a comment:

• k2003
    replied
    Sunita,
    I too have sent my P3 into NVC (in Dec 03)...and my AVM still says "if you have not heard anything within 8weeks...please press "0"". They have said that we have to sit and wait for a Visa number...but all processing is complete. What is your priority date? Ours is April 98.

Leave a comment:

• Sunita
    replied
    Everyone I am in an F3 sponsership and I have filled up and return packet3 six months ago so I am wondering how i would know if consulate received our files.I am also hoping along with everyone on board that the new fiscal year is good to us.

Leave a comment:

• Mo
    replied
    The new fiscayl year (FY2005) starts October 1st. I am not sure if next month's bulletin will be part of FY2005, I would think so. If so, All the cut-off dates in relative preferences will resume back to their positions - as in the begining of FY2004 cut-off dates (if there was retrogressions). If there was no retrogressions, they will be staying at exactly where they are now... unless a new retrogressions pop-up in the new FY2005. Let's hope that won't be the case.

I am in F1, and that preferce didn't advance in the last 7 months. The USCIS says this is due to the new backlog reduction plan on people who are waiting for green-card. Once that backlog is reduced, the cut-off dates should start to move at a faster rate. Recent reports have showed that the backlog is cutting down (compared to last year), however, no one knows what level the USCIS wants the backlog to be down to (interms of applications, since they are in the millions), and how long it will take them.

This is an area that will continue to be discussed in the FY2005.

Good Luck

Leave a comment:

• k2003
    replied
    Sorry for another request for clairification...however do you mean that the numbers should begin moving again in Oct? I am sure hoping so...F3 has moved 1 month forward in the last 9 months!

Leave a comment:

• BEBE
    replied
    Thanks Mo. Appreciate your info. Good luck to you too.

Leave a comment:

• Mo
    replied
    BEBE

I will share with you with what I know.

The role of NVC will be effected by the new I-130 rule, where the I-130 will not be processed until it's close to / or when a visa becomes available for the beneficary. So, from this language, it means that I-130 and the visa bulletin will be walking together side-by-side for I-130 to be processed. Once a visa is about to become availabe, your I-130 application will be reviewed by USCIS.... and the necessary paper-work will be requested by the USCIS through CPs. They are trying to use this route to solve and improve on existing methods of I-130 processings.

Again, the focus for I-130 beneficiaries should be on the DOS visa bulletin from now on. Priority dates sometimes move forward quickly and later retrogress, or go backward. That is, a date that is current one day may not remain current the next month or several months or years later. Priority dates are based upon an estimate of demand for immigrant visa numbers. If, for some reason, there is an unexpected demand in a particular category, then the immigrant visa numbers in that category could retrogress. Thus, any delay in processing the cases once the priority dates become current can further delay a case if the priority dates retrogress.

My I-130 has been approved, but I am waiting for my priority to become current. I guess the people who will check the monthly visa bulletin will grow as more I-130's are filed, and significantly jump (or already jumped) after this new I-130 rule.

I hope I answered your question.

Good Luck

Leave a comment:

• BEBE
    replied
    Sorry Mo, I've placed my question on the wrong post. Here it is again and hope you can enlighten me a bit. I'm sure that the DOS/VO allots visa nos. and divides them into 12 months for the upcoming fiscal year. Which means that they already knew what case no/s would be current for the final process at a foreign post. Then shouldn't the NVC be sending the completed files of the beneficiaries who have been alloted visa numbers to the post close to their interview date? Why is it that some have to wait such a long time even the case has been sent to the consular? Really confused about CP waiting period.

Leave a comment:

• Mo
    replied
    Packet 3 is sent out to beneficiaries when their priority date is getting closer... about 90 days from the current date to the priority date. The question is, how long does it actually take for a particular relative preferce category to advance 90 days. Only the DOS know the answer to that. In the worst cases, it can take years... so the packet 3 can wait until priority date becomes current for it to be reviewed by the foreign post.

Good Luck

Leave a comment:

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed