Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Being held for Deportation

a friend of mine was picked up by and is being held in county jail for immigration services; facing deportation. An x- gf turned him in for not having a visa. What can i do to stop him from being deported? I have an attorney to contact in Maimi tomorrow, but his family and I would like to know if there is even a chance to keep him here. They will not set any bond on him to be released so he has to stay in there until I can figure out how to help him..

a friend of mine was picked up by and is being held in county jail for immigration services; facing deportation. An x- gf turned him in for not having a visa. What can i do to stop him from being deported? I have an attorney to contact in Maimi tomorrow, but his family and I would like to know if there is even a chance to keep him here. They will not set any bond on him to be released so he has to stay in there until I can figure out how to help him..

Comment

Immigration doesn't usually bother with investigating, much less detaining and deporting, people who have ONLY been turned in by exes. There's probably more to it than that, such as an old deportation order or a conviction that makes him eligible for deportation. If that's the case, your best bet is to hire a good lawyer, but even then, since he entered without inspection, I doubt there'd be much a lawyer could do.

Comment

AliBA - she filed an injunction (restraining order) on him in Jan - and even according to the jail officials that is what is holding him for deportation.

Comment

Are you sure he hasn't violated some order? It seems odd to me that a county jail would incarcerate him on the basis of an allegation. Did he receive removal orders from USCIS? If he has not received such a notice, wouldn't a writ of habeas corpus work here?
          The above is simply an opinion. Your mileage may vary. For immigration issues, please consult an immigration attorney.

Comment

Sappy - he is here illegally with no visa.. I contacted and attorney and I am meeting with him Monday, so hopefully it will all get resolved.. Of course beware - the minimum charge for taking this case is 7500.00!!! Any donations?

Comment

I have no clue as to what he is facing but if she had a restraining order I wonder if there has been domestic violence incidents between them. If so, I believe domestic violence is a crime of moral turpitude and makes him deportable.

Comment

Native - there was NO domestic violence between them. Him and I were in a public place and she was there also and called the police. We immediately left when we knew she was there. It's more of a jealousy factor. It's been 2 weeks and they are holding him with NO formal charge.

Comment

If the user Mohan is still out there and someone knows how to get in touch with him, please let me know..

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation