Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is a Lawyer necessary?

I am a college student, filing for my husband for permanent residence. I am a US citizen, and everyone has scared me and said I need to have a lawyer represent me and go over my files. But I cannot afford, the prices in my area, while being a full time microbiology major in college. Can anyone offer advice in the whole process. He is here on a B-2, we got married 2 months ago, and his status is still legal.

I am a college student, filing for my husband for permanent residence. I am a US citizen, and everyone has scared me and said I need to have a lawyer represent me and go over my files. But I cannot afford, the prices in my area, while being a full time microbiology major in college. Can anyone offer advice in the whole process. He is here on a B-2, we got married 2 months ago, and his status is still legal.

Comment

No, you do not need a lawyer. You can download all of the forms you need from http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/LPRApplication.htm
      Have a nice day

Comment

well i did, that, but people are saying that if i put certain things on the forms they can hold it against me and not grant my husband permanent residence

Comment

Obviously there is a lot she is not telling us/ Only criminals need lawyers. This is clearly a fraudulent marriage. Get out.

Comment

What are you saying micheal, I was just trying to be cautious, I hve been in school since I was 2, I had no time to commit fraudulent activity, I apologize, if I sounded suspicious.

Comment

Don't worry about what Michael says, he always say so, you do not need a lwayer as long as you are being truthful

Comment

Thank you very much Freddy.

Comment

If you are a full-time student at a decent-sized university, they may have some sort of legal service that is free or inexpensive for students. That would at least be a place to start to find out if there are any complications in your case. But if he doesn't have a criminal record and isn't out of status immigration-wise, it doesn't seem like there should be any problem.

Comment

Lawyer necessary...not at all, or at least as long your marriage is legitimate and your spouse hasn't been out of status over 180 days. It is just as much of paperwork as you've got to go through while studying in college, believe me! It isn't a rocket science and the positive side of doing everything by yourself is that you SAVE a lot of money

Comment

You don't need a lawyer. I filled out all of the paperwork for my wife and everything was fine. She's with me here in the U.S. now so there's the proof!

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation