•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOVING WITH A GREEN CARD

Bs'd

Hi,

My husband and me decided to move to another country, after me receiving a green card!
    He's an american citizent, also my daughter, but I just have a green card!
    I don't want to loose my opportunity and freedom to go back to america... but I want to reside in another country from now on!

What will happend with my green card? And if a apply to be citizent of another country will make me loose my green card?

Also, if a give birth in another country... my future children will be american?

I'd really appreciate any reply!!!

Thanks, and have a good day!!

Bs'd

Hi,

My husband and me decided to move to another country, after me receiving a green card!
    I don't want to loose my opportunity and freedom to go back to america... but I want to reside in another country from now on!

What will happend with my green card? And if a apply to be citizent of another country will make me loose my green card?

Also, if a give birth in another country... my future children will be american?

Thanks, and have a good day!!

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sheilior:
      Bs'd

Hi,

Thanks, and have a good day!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
      If you are planning to move to another country for an extended period of time, you may lose your green card status. If you plan to return, you may need to either have your husband reapply through the embassy or consulate or you may have to file form I-131, depending on how long you have been out of the country. Any future children born in another country may become USC as long as one parent is a USC. There will be a form for your husband to fill out at the same US embassy or consulate.

Just asking, is the move employment related? That is either you or your husband have been transferred? Or is this more like a permanent move. Also remember that your husband, and you if you choose to file jointly, will still be required to file tax returns. Please see publciation 54 for more information.
      "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams on Defense of the boston Massacre

Comment

Bs'd

Thank you for your reply!

NOW... if I lose my green card, I lose the opportunity to get in the usa completly? Or I'll still be able to go back?
        Let's say... I apply to be a permanent recident for 10 years... I'd be able to stay in another country for long time? without coming back for a 1 at least...

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sheilior:
          Bs'd

Thank you for your reply!

NOW... if I lose my green card, I lose the opportunity to get in the usa completly? Or I'll still be able to go back?
          Let's say... I apply to be a permanent recident for 10 years... I'd be able to stay in another country for long time? without coming back for a 1 at least... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
          No, your husband will need to reapply for the Green Card (assuming you are moving back permanently to the U.S.) or obtain a visitor visa (assuming you and your husband are not moving back permanently to the U.S.) or using the visa waiver program if you and your family move to one of the countries participating in the program.

However, if you are out of the country for more than six months, you may lose your green card status because you abandoned your permanent residency. It all depends on the facts and circunstances of how long your are living outside the United States.
          "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams on Defense of the boston Massacre

Comment

sheilor, you know the best how permanent this move will be (like going to your home country as opposed of having 2 year employment contract in 3rd country).
            It may be a good idea to apply for re-entry permit before you leave. That way you'll have 2 years to see how the things develop.. With a re-entry permit you are allowed to stay outside the USA for 2 years and you are kind of announcing that you'll be back and want to keep your residency in the USA. Anyway, it is also a good idea to keep some ties with the USA: bank accounts, driver license, credit cards... on top of filing taxes (a must).

... unless you can get the USA citizenship before the move

Comment

Bs'd

Firts of all, thank you for your reply!
              Now... How does it work to apply for a passport? Meaning citizenship? Do I need to stay in usa all the time? Will i be able to go out the usa while i'm applying for citizentship? I need to apply first for permanent recidency or I can just go straight and apply for citizenship?

Thank you!

huston, what does it mean weaver visa? Something like that you wrote me back?

Thanks!

Comment

How long have you been a Permanent Resident in the US, if you have been married to your US citizen spouse and lived in the US for at least 3 years, I think you can apply for your citizenship, dont know how long the process is for citizenship tho, it may be worth finding out before you decide to leave, and lose you Greencard.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">if you have been married to your US citizen spouse and lived in the US for at least 3 years, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This issue always confused me as a PR. If that is the case, then why the hell do we have to wait 5 years before applying for ctizenship?

Comment

This issue always confused me as a PR. If that is the case, then why the hell do we have to wait 5 years before applying for ctizenship?[/QUOTE]

Hello bouree

This is a special priviledge given to spouse of USC. It is a benefit for the USC. same as military has a special privledge in obtaining early citizenship.

employment based and all others are required to wait the 5 years.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation