Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deportation - Urgent

This is my first visit to Immigration Discussion and I am anxious to get some feedback on a very urgent matter. My husband has been a landed immigrant in Canada for approximately 22 years. In 1992 he was convicted and served 8 months for an assault charge with came with a warning of deportation. From the time of his release he managed to maintain full time work until 1994 when we decided it was time for me to go to work and for him to stay at home with our 3 children (now ages 10, 6, and 4). We have been together for 11 years and married in 2000. In 2003 he was charged and convicted of drug charges relating to a sting performed by local police detachment where they got an informant to set him up to buy drugs and sell to the him. When he was ready to go on day parole to a halfway house, they informed him that he would be seeing an immigration officer in regards to deportation. The officer sent of the paperwork to Ottawa where they decided that deportation was approved. I want to know if this is a final decision? Are there grounds for an appeal or a stay? Should he have a immigration lawyer present at this hearing or is it just a formality? I am desperate to keep my family together. I have no family to help me and if my husband is deported back to Jamaica I will be left to raise these 3 children completely alone. Can anyone help?

This is my first visit to Immigration Discussion and I am anxious to get some feedback on a very urgent matter. My husband has been a landed immigrant in Canada for approximately 22 years. In 1992 he was convicted and served 8 months for an assault charge with came with a warning of deportation. From the time of his release he managed to maintain full time work until 1994 when we decided it was time for me to go to work and for him to stay at home with our 3 children (now ages 10, 6, and 4). We have been together for 11 years and married in 2000. In 2003 he was charged and convicted of drug charges relating to a sting performed by local police detachment where they got an informant to set him up to buy drugs and sell to the him. When he was ready to go on day parole to a halfway house, they informed him that he would be seeing an immigration officer in regards to deportation. The officer sent of the paperwork to Ottawa where they decided that deportation was approved. I want to know if this is a final decision? Are there grounds for an appeal or a stay? Should he have a immigration lawyer present at this hearing or is it just a formality? I am desperate to keep my family together. I have no family to help me and if my husband is deported back to Jamaica I will be left to raise these 3 children completely alone. Can anyone help?

Comment

You need a lawyer. As a rule- foreigners caught with drugs go home. At least it sounds like he is getting deported to Canadia.

Comment

Old Man

He is already in Canada detained. I spoke with a lawyer this morning and he told me that there was a 99% chance in favor of deportation. I was just interested in knowing the procedure of appealing this decision and if there was the opportunity to apply for a stay for humanitarian or compasionate reasons. thanks for replying

Comment

You are Canadian in Canadia and he is being shipped to Jamaica? I'm sorry, but I don't know the ins and outs of Canadian immigration law. Work with your lawyer. (Barrister, eh?)

Comment

Thanks anyway

Comment

Most people on this forum are subject to the U.S. immigration laws and unless you have the somewhat unlikely event that someone who is familiar with the Canadian immigration laws responding to you, your best bet is probably an attorney as 'old man' suggested to you.

Or you can search for Canadian immigration forums, immigration sides. Good luck!

Comment

you may want to check www.britishexpats.com

I think they are a fairly decent forum (in some ways better than this one) and they have a section specifically for canadian immigration.

Comment

Here are two names you can contact. I have no personal experience with either of them, but they do know now Canadian Immigration.

Jim Humphries (Former Visa Officer)
                  jhumphri@shaw.ca

Andrew Miller
                  Immigration Consultant
                  Vancouver, British Columbia
                  email: AndrewMillerREMOVE@REMOVEcanada.com
                  (delete REMOVE from the above address before sending email)

Comment

22 years in canada?

what a dumbass. Didn't he know he could've gotten can. citizenship after *3*???

He's had 19 years to be a citizen. Why should canadians care if he gets deported. He's had almost 2 decades to NOT be in a position like this.

Oh and tell him to stop dealing drugs. Nice to see her learned the first time.

See you in Jamaica.

-= nav =-

Comment

"We decided it was time for me to go to work"

So he could stay to run is Home Office based Business? ;-) YA Mon!

There is always the option of you and your children following him back to Jamaica to be together. I am sure he can start a business there. He sounds like quite an entrepreneur.

Comment

Deport criminals.
                        Sweet Madame Belu

Comment

It is always refreshing to see that people are more concerned about someone's actions and are ready to make a judgement rather than worry about the welfare of innocent children caught up in the crossfire. If the circumstances of the arrest were explained in more detail, all you "judges" out there would be singing a different tune. I did not come onto this site to ask your opinion of the "crime", I came on this site to see if there was anyway I could keep my children's fathers in their lives, to keep them from becoming a statistic, to keep our family whole. But I guess that isnt the point to y'all! Thanks for all your uneducated advice.

Comment

To all of you on this site who did offer advice instead of judgement, I sincerely appreciate it! Thank you. To all of you who didn't can kiss my ***!!!

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation