Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inheritance and marriage

Two and a half years ago I had inherited from a good friend of mine who I took care during his illness some properties. I am married now to a us citizen and I am trying to adjust my status. I delayed my application due to a diffilcult pregnancy and now I have decided to begin applying.
    My question is do I have to inform immigration how I got these properties?
    thanks
    J

Two and a half years ago I had inherited from a good friend of mine who I took care during his illness some properties. I am married now to a us citizen and I am trying to adjust my status. I delayed my application due to a diffilcult pregnancy and now I have decided to begin applying.
    My question is do I have to inform immigration how I got these properties?
    thanks
    J

Comment

Where are the properties?
      Did you get the possession?
      What is the estimated value?
      What is your tax liability?

In any case, this is something you will have to inform IRS about, not USCIS, and there are latest tax laws that you will need to inquire about with certified accountant.

Comment

Actually no,

However, if you sell the properties, you will pay the tax regardless of location if you elected to be treated as a resident alien for tax purposes, ie filed a joint return with your spouse.

There are no reporting requirements under IRS rules nor USCIS. If you need additional help, refer to Treasury Department form 90-22.1 if you are required to report assets in financial institutions, like banks, mortgages, etc, if those assets are greater than $10000. If you moved the money from the home country to the US, you may need to file Form 3520. If the properties are located in the US, make sure you give a signed statement, like a W-9 showing your are a resident alien for tax purposes so that the real estate agent does not withhod 10%.
        "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams on Defense of the boston Massacre

Comment

All taxes and paid. These are rental properties and I filled taxes with IRS every year about them. Do I have to justify to immigration how I got the propertie, they are listed in my tax returns.
          thanks
          J

Comment

Juicyjous,
            YOu do not have to justify how you acquired the properties for immigration purposes. They are irrelevant for the most part.

But I do have a question, are you preparing for some type of interview with the USCIS?
            "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams on Defense of the boston Massacre

Comment

Yes hundson, I am preparing for the interview and I thought if they asked me how I got the properties I would have to provide them with a copy of the will. I just want to be prepare, that's all. I dont kow what they doat INS.
              thanks
              J

Comment

If the immigration officer asks, you can simply state I inherided the property from [name the person]. I am very certain that the immigration officer will not ask this type of question.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation