X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Entering US after 8 months gap

Hello,

My father has 10-year multiple entry visitors visa. He was in US from Oct 2002 to Oct 2003. He intends to return back to US in July 2004. What kind of questions should he expect at port of entry, San Francisco?

Thanks
    immifive.

Hello,

My father has 10-year multiple entry visitors visa. He was in US from Oct 2002 to Oct 2003. He intends to return back to US in July 2004. What kind of questions should he expect at port of entry, San Francisco?

Thanks
    immifive.

Comment

Normally authorised stay in u.s. for visitor is six months. If your father stayed in u.s. for one year without extending his visa, he will not be allowed to enter u.s. and will have to go back

Comment

What kind of a visa is a "10 yr multiple-entry visitors visa"?

ARQU

Comment

Javed,

My father had legally extended his I-94 when he stayed for 1 year from Oct 2002 to Oct 2003.

Wondering whether the immigration officer at port of entry will question as to why he is coming back to US within just a few months?

Comment

10 years visa valadity is meant for multiple visits.Generally immigration officers do not ask as to frequencies of visits but they may ask purpose of visit.

Comment

Javed,

Can you suggest some convincing answers to questions on purspose of visit?

Comment

Your father might have no problem at the time of entry but next time if he does the same thing, INS will determin that he is managing to stay in the US for a longer period of time as compared to living abroad and they might deny entry but this time, he should be ok.

Comment

Vistor visa's are issued to qualified vistors to US, Visa issued and stamped in your passport is not that you will be granted entry into the US. It all depends upon the Inspector at the port of entry. He can deny any one or allow any one into US. This will be the luck of your father. But he will have to face some questions before he is allowed entry into US.
                  Is he from one of those countries who has to Register upon arrival?

Comment

Adam.

My father is an Indian citizen. As far as I know Indians are not required to register upon arrival. Would that help?

Thanks
                    immifive.

Comment

Now every one is required to register. Indians are no exception.

Comment

Thanks Tak: you are right. I din't read the last para. Thanks

Immifive: All have to register upon arrival.

Comment

Immifive:
                          Word of advice - Make your father postpone his travel plans at least until it is 1 yr anniversary since he came back to India. I know of one case of a 10yr visa holder who came back in less than a year and was not let in the States for that particular reason (no other reasons). I also have the parents of many of my friends, who were warned on multiple occasions by the immigration officers that if they come back in less than a year, they will not be let in the country. Afterall, you dont want him to travel back and forth to India in two days just because he didnt wait.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation