Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F1 to H1B

I am in F1 status. I am planning to graduate this summer. Yesterday, I got the offer of job of a professor in a community college. The college intends to hire on OPT status for one year and then in H1B. I am going to apply for OPT next week. If OPT takes time, I would rather request the college to start H1b process. I don't know which one is better and faster. I am just wondering what the college will have to do to get H1b for me. It's a community college. So I am not sure if they know the process well. I am just curious what would I do? Wait for the OPT and then start the process of H1b later or ask the college to start H1b now? Anyway, what is the way to get H1b if I have to take the initiation? Please shed light on this matter. Your suggestion will be highly appreicated.

Thank you.

I am in F1 status. I am planning to graduate this summer. Yesterday, I got the offer of job of a professor in a community college. The college intends to hire on OPT status for one year and then in H1B. I am going to apply for OPT next week. If OPT takes time, I would rather request the college to start H1b process. I don't know which one is better and faster. I am just wondering what the college will have to do to get H1b for me. It's a community college. So I am not sure if they know the process well. I am just curious what would I do? Wait for the OPT and then start the process of H1b later or ask the college to start H1b now? Anyway, what is the way to get H1b if I have to take the initiation? Please shed light on this matter. Your suggestion will be highly appreicated.

Thank you.

Comment

OPT could buy you one year of additional time that you would lose otherwise if you start your job with H1. As you know probably, H-1 is issued for 6 years and then if you do not initiate your Green Card process atleast before the last year of your H-1, you go back to your country for one year and re-start your H-1 process. So in case of OPT, you get an additional 7 th year, that can prove usefull in crunch situation.
      But if this community college does not apply for H-1, then I would suggest start looking for another job right away, while working there, so that you are able to apply for H-1 before the expiration of your OPT.

The process of applying for H-1 B is simple, and any lawyer can start this process with the cooperation of your employer. It could cost you anywhere between 1500 to 2500 dollars depending on lawyer. But most of the employer are familiar with the process and have their own lawers who can take care of the issue. Sometimes employers can pay for your H-1.

So my suggestion is get your OPT, then apply for H-1 just for the matter than you get one more year of work time with OPT

Comment

It took me a couple of months to get my OPT accepted. I'd go for OPT first and the the H1B, so you get an extra year. You are very fortunate to already have the opportunity to get an H1B, don't waste it! Good luck.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation