Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AR-11 advice needed

How's everyone from New York coping with the waiting time for I-485 interview? I got ***med and left New York last Christmas eve and move to Florida for good. It's been 30 months since i filed and no interview, no response from USCIS. The website only says they received my fingerprinting last January 2004 and processing is resumed. I asked help from my congresswoman but proved to be useless. The letter arrived saying that my case is being processed in Missouri (i know that already!). I also went to Federal plaza and the officer at the counter is as clueless as i am. So, i packed my bag and left. I am so frustrated with the system. Before i left, i dropped by at my lawyer's office who advised me not to file for a change of address as it will prolong the interview time or the paperwork can be lost during the transfer. He said that we'll just wait for the interview letter and decide if we write a change of address or just go for the interview at NYC and explain what happened. In your opinion or based in your experiences, what will you suggest?

Thanks a lot, once again.

How's everyone from New York coping with the waiting time for I-485 interview? I got ***med and left New York last Christmas eve and move to Florida for good. It's been 30 months since i filed and no interview, no response from USCIS. The website only says they received my fingerprinting last January 2004 and processing is resumed. I asked help from my congresswoman but proved to be useless. The letter arrived saying that my case is being processed in Missouri (i know that already!). I also went to Federal plaza and the officer at the counter is as clueless as i am. So, i packed my bag and left. I am so frustrated with the system. Before i left, i dropped by at my lawyer's office who advised me not to file for a change of address as it will prolong the interview time or the paperwork can be lost during the transfer. He said that we'll just wait for the interview letter and decide if we write a change of address or just go for the interview at NYC and explain what happened. In your opinion or based in your experiences, what will you suggest?

Thanks a lot, once again.

Comment

Well...

The law is clear - if you move and you no longer receive mail at the prior address, you must file an AR-11 within 10 days...

That being said - your lawyer is probably right about the delays and so on... But...

So how is that for a non-answer?

ARQU

Comment

Oh yes,

If you do decide to change your address, you need to do more than file an AR-11.

You must also send a notice in writing to any office (Regional or District) that you have an application pending at (ie: Missouri).

Also, make sure you file a change of address with the Post Office as the BCIS is notorious for not handling change of address notifications correctly or in a timely manner. Any notice to you may still be sent to your old address - if you don't get it and respond, your application may be in jeaprody.

ARQU

Comment

do you think filing for AR-11 when i receive my appointment for interview letter will create problem? That's what the lawyer suggested, i don't know if he is right....

Comment

How would you get the interview letter if you don't change the address? Is it the lawyer's address they have on file?

I think your lawyer is giving you reasonable advice; any change of address just might gum up the works a bit. However, technically - failing to file an AR-11 is a deportable offense... So...

In my humble (and unprofessional) opinion, I would drag my feet a 'bit' on filing the AR-11 and hope something shows up soon. But I would not advise dragging it out too long...

Make sure your USPS mail is being forwarded. BTW - If you can still receive mail at your old address (ie: relatives house) you don't need to file a change of address...

I would listen to your lawyer - for a while perhaps. Then if you get squimish - tell him you want to file the AR-11 (after all that is what you are supposed to do).

But please decide on your own - I am only expressing my gut feelings on this an am not an immigration lawyer or anything.

ARQU

Comment

AR-11 do not garanties changing you address in your cases. Also, USPS does not forward official mail. They return it to senders. And lastly don try to fool the system, sooner or later they will find out!

Comment

USPS will forward this mail as there is no "Offical Mail / Do Not Forward" on the envelopes.

They are simply window envelopes and look like every other mail you get... At least that is what the envelopes I have gotten are like...

If you notice, I did advise paula to change her address. Twice. However, she is paying a lawyer for advice so who am I to tell her otherwise.

ARQU

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed