X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about non immigrant visa

Hi everyone,
    I am new here and I hope someone can take the time to explain some things to me. I am trying to help my friend who needs information. Does anyone know how long it takes to process a B2 (pleasure) visa from Europe? Thanks!

Hi everyone,
    I am new here and I hope someone can take the time to explain some things to me. I am trying to help my friend who needs information. Does anyone know how long it takes to process a B2 (pleasure) visa from Europe? Thanks!

Comment

That would depend on which Consulate, they have varying waitng times for appointments.

Most Europeans can use the VWP, do not need a B2.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Theone. I think my friend needs the B2 because she is planning on staying more than 90 days to take care of a sick family member. The country is Ireland. She has a criminal record, although it was over 20 years ago and I don't think she is eligible for the VWP, I'm not sure, but I don't think so. Does she need some kind of waiver too?

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JamiesGirl:
          Thanks for the reply Theone. I think my friend needs the B2 because she is planning on staying more than 90 days to take care of a sick family member. The country is Ireland. She has a criminal record, although it was over 20 years ago and I don't think she is eligible for the VWP, I'm not sure, but I don't think so. Does she need some kind of waiver too? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It depends on the crime committed. If it falls under the CIMT (Crime In Moral Turpitude) category, then a waiver may well be needed. If not, probably no. Then again, it's more than 20yrs ago so it may not matter anyway.
          "What you see in the photograph isn't what you saw at the time. The real skill of photography is organized visual lying."

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JamiesGirl:
            Thanks for the reply Theone. I think my friend needs the B2 because she is planning on staying more than 90 days to take care of a sick family member. The country is Ireland. She has a criminal record, although it was over 20 years ago and I don't think she is eligible for the VWP, I'm not sure, but I don't think so. Does she need some kind of waiver too? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very unlikley to get a Visitor Visa for this, classified as work.

Comment

Theone is correct. Assisting with a sick relative is usually considered work, unless it is a parent or child and, of course, there is no renumeration. There is a possibility of a B-2 visa, but the Embassy/Consulate will examine your request closely and their records will be available to CBP at the border when you are interviewed for admission. Any discrepancies will probably result in your expidited removal. So tell the truty. If you are denied a visa, your chances of admission on the VWP are also seriously in doubt. Those people who apply for and are denied visas are usually refused under the visa waiver program.

Comment

No, she's not getting paid.

Comment

doesn't matter if she is being paid or not...she would be receiving room and board...and what she proposes to do is considered work, and work of any kind, paid or not, on behalf of a relative or not, is not allowed using a tourist visa. Now, some of you may disagree.,...all I ask is that you find a section in the Immigration & Nationality Act that says otherwise...that one can work for a close relative....and please....let's not suddenly hear how she's "only going to visit" for six months (no one gets a paid vacation for 6 months) and no one would believe this miraculous change of purpose.

Comment

You are correct about the law, but there is a defacto exemption that let a parent or child come in to assist the family in the house, basically mom helping daughter during pregnancy. And, correct, no one gets six months vacation, but again, providing room and board to a visitor, such as parent or child, is not illegal, but a common practice. Now, if any other relationship, obviously it does not fall into the unofficial exemption.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation