Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interview in 2 weeks Need HELP!!!!!

Hi I am new here and I need your help. In 12/02 i met my now husband on line. We had lots of things in common including education. At the time I was taking an online course, and I found it quite difficult not have a teacher and all. We spoke some more and he looked in to a college in his home town. On one of my visits he took me by the college and I fell in love with it. It had the small teacher/student ratio I was looking for. He asked me to marry him the first time we met, I didnt believe of course because he hardly knew me. That was in 1/03 then he proposes again in 4/03 with a ring this time. I had already applied to school and I really didnt know what to do. I was very unsure about the whole situation so that is why I didn't go the K1 route, plus I already applied for the F1. I moved down 7/03 and started school. Once I am here he continues to ask me to marry him. I would tell him later, not now I am not ready and he would get upset with me. So finally in 11/03 he asked me again that morning and I agreed. We went to the court house just him and I. I filed for AOS a couple month after and now I am comming up to my interview shortly. I am concerned that the immigration officer might precieve this as visa fraud. I am still in school and working part time. It's really hard to get to know someone when you live thousands of miles away. I really didnt know where this would go and I was afraid of getting hurt again. Please let me know if you would consider this fraud and if so what can be done about it. I do have a valid marriage, I am just very scared that i will have a lifetime ban and that my AOS will be denied.

Madpg

Hi I am new here and I need your help. In 12/02 i met my now husband on line. We had lots of things in common including education. At the time I was taking an online course, and I found it quite difficult not have a teacher and all. We spoke some more and he looked in to a college in his home town. On one of my visits he took me by the college and I fell in love with it. It had the small teacher/student ratio I was looking for. He asked me to marry him the first time we met, I didnt believe of course because he hardly knew me. That was in 1/03 then he proposes again in 4/03 with a ring this time. I had already applied to school and I really didnt know what to do. I was very unsure about the whole situation so that is why I didn't go the K1 route, plus I already applied for the F1. I moved down 7/03 and started school. Once I am here he continues to ask me to marry him. I would tell him later, not now I am not ready and he would get upset with me. So finally in 11/03 he asked me again that morning and I agreed. We went to the court house just him and I. I filed for AOS a couple month after and now I am comming up to my interview shortly. I am concerned that the immigration officer might precieve this as visa fraud. I am still in school and working part time. It's really hard to get to know someone when you live thousands of miles away. I really didnt know where this would go and I was afraid of getting hurt again. Please let me know if you would consider this fraud and if so what can be done about it. I do have a valid marriage, I am just very scared that i will have a lifetime ban and that my AOS will be denied.

Madpg

Comment

As long as it ISN'T fraud why on earth would you be scared?

Comment

considering he asked you 3 TIMES to marry him, I would not consider this marriage fraud and eventually you said YES. This has to be conveyed to the immigration officer, however you will need to show your e-mails, the court documents, your apartment lease, and anything showing a valid relationship. You may want to show pictures, groups gatherings, etc to the immigration officer to provide the proof.
        "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams on Defense of the boston Massacre

Comment

I am afraid that they are going to say that I didnt use the right visa. My husband asked me to marry him several times before I moved here. I was very unsure about the relationship. It is the intent part that worries me.

Comment

YOU WILL BE DEPORTED IMMEDIATELY AFTER THE INTERVIEW !!!

Comment

If you are feeling scared, I would recommend legal assistance when you have the interview. However, since your husband asked you three times to marry him, I do not believe this is marriage fraud. Furthermore, the only thing you may have to do is pay a penalty for being on the F visa instead of going throguh the K visa. Consult the free legal advice you school may offer. But I seriously doubt this is marriage fraud.
              "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams on Defense of the boston Massacre

Comment

Hi madpoogie,

relax... you came as a student and you are still going to school. When you entered the US as a student, you wanted to study here and had no definitive intention to marry and stay, correct?...based on that, I would say you used a correct visa.

You'll be OK.

Hudson: what kind of penalty you are talking about?

Comment

SHE WILL FACE 5 YEARS OF JAIL TIME BECAUSE SHE CAME HERE ON F-1 AND SUBSEQUENTLY MARRIED !!!

Comment

Alright so say I will be deported and go to jail. Do you have proof of this? So what happens to people who come to the US on a tourist visa and get married? DO they get deported and go to jail for 5 years to???? I came on this board for help, not to be ridiculed.

Comment

YOU ARE GUILTY UNLESS PROVEN INNOCENT !!!

(YOU WILL HAVE 5 YEARS IN JAIL TO CHALLENGE YOUR SENTENCE - ISN'T IT ENOUGH TIME FOR YOU? )

Comment

Show me the part of the law that states I will have 5 years in prison. Are you a lawyer or an Immigration officer, or do you like to play with peoples heads? I came here to go to school, yes I knew him before, but I didnt know where the relationship was going to go. There is no crime In marrying a USC.

Comment

IEA Section 682 (A)(3)(b)(7):

"Any person who knowingly obtains the student visa and marries at any time after arrival is guilty of aggravated felony and subject to up to 5 years imprisonment or 250.000 fine or both".

Comment

And how old is that law? Because I just got off the phone with an attorney and that is not what he said. I came into this country legally not illegally. I think you are refering to a law that was before 1996, because I read somewhere when Clinton was in Office that an F1 could adjust status while in the states. So I hope your not trying to say that all students are going to go to jail for 5 years because they fell in love with a USC? I think you need to do your homework first, before making accusations

Comment

As long as you can prove to the adjudicating officer that you came under genuine intent of study as prescribed under your F1 visa, you should be allright. The fact the marriage doesn't took place until over 4 months of entry will help your case. Don't worry too much about the 5year or whatever garbages being spouted.

Concentrate on presenting supporting documents that you do have a legitimate marriage (bank statement, bills, wedding photo, statement from parties that know you both, etc,etc,etc). You're not the first person to marry a USC while on F1, and you won't be the last.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation