Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WANT TO BRING FATHER FOR VISIT

I am a US citizen, husband is LPR. We would like to bring his father over here to cisit. What would be the protocol for us to bring him here. I know we need affidavit of support, but what else. If anyone can let us know, please help.

I am a US citizen, husband is LPR. We would like to bring his father over here to cisit. What would be the protocol for us to bring him here. I know we need affidavit of support, but what else. If anyone can let us know, please help.

Comment

Bring him here to live? It will be quicker (not much) if your husband is a citizen. Your husband must first file an I-130. Then when that is approved you must wait for the priority date. Then you can file I-485. If your husband is a citizen, he can file both I-130 and I-485 at the same time.

Comment

To visit: depending on what country he (your father in law) is from, he will have to get a Visa - not an affadavit of support.

Go to Dept of State website for visa information.

Comment

If he just wants to come over for a visit, you shouldn't need an affidavit of support. He'll just need to get a visitor's visa. He might have to prove that he has sufficient reason to return to his home country in order to get a visa. That could be proving that he has a job, property, family, etc. in his country that he will want to go back to.
          Have a nice day

Comment

I myself am a father of LPR and visited her 3 times in the past 5 years. Your father-in-law simply requires a visit visa (B2). Now it depends on him how he can convince the American Counsel that he has sufficient ties in his home country which will compell him to come back to his country after the proposed trip to USA. I think it is not a big deal. When I got the visa, the officer was very nice and he asked me a few questions and issued us (my wife & myself) a B1/B2 visa.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation