X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• writing a bad check - filing for the fiancee visa later

Here is my story.
    I've lived in the U.S. for 3 years. I overstayed my non-immigrant visa. Then I left the country and now I'm appling for the fiancee visa.
    I've had my interview already. I acknowledged my overstay and applied for I-601 Waiver.
    But during the time I lived in the U.S. I wrote 2 checks that bounced. It happened wright before my departure, and, therefore, I didn't take care of this issue.
    The checks were under $100, one to the major department store and another one to some small boutique. Account was active.
    Theoretically speaking, they can prosecute me for these checks. But it has been over a year since then and as far as I know there were no certified letters from these companies coming to my house in the U.S. and nobody came to supinate me or look for me.
    My question is what are the chances that this "sin" is going to come up during the waiver process? And what are the chances that district attorney have something on me, although they did not come to supinate me?
    Do the Immigration suppose to do the county check on me? And if they do does it take place during the I-129 fiancee petotion process or during the I-601 process? When you apply for I-129 you suppose to list all the countries you resided in for more that 6 months. I did list the U.S. And since the U.S. is on the exception list of the countries from there the police report is not required, how do they check if you have been involved in anything criminal during the time you have been living in the U.S.? I think this last question will be interesting for a lot of us.
    Thank you for any comments&suggestions.

Here is my story.
    I've lived in the U.S. for 3 years. I overstayed my non-immigrant visa. Then I left the country and now I'm appling for the fiancee visa.
    I've had my interview already. I acknowledged my overstay and applied for I-601 Waiver.
    But during the time I lived in the U.S. I wrote 2 checks that bounced. It happened wright before my departure, and, therefore, I didn't take care of this issue.
    The checks were under $100, one to the major department store and another one to some small boutique. Account was active.
    Theoretically speaking, they can prosecute me for these checks. But it has been over a year since then and as far as I know there were no certified letters from these companies coming to my house in the U.S. and nobody came to supinate me or look for me.
    My question is what are the chances that this "sin" is going to come up during the waiver process? And what are the chances that district attorney have something on me, although they did not come to supinate me?
    Do the Immigration suppose to do the county check on me? And if they do does it take place during the I-129 fiancee petotion process or during the I-601 process? When you apply for I-129 you suppose to list all the countries you resided in for more that 6 months. I did list the U.S. And since the U.S. is on the exception list of the countries from there the police report is not required, how do they check if you have been involved in anything criminal during the time you have been living in the U.S.? I think this last question will be interesting for a lot of us.
    Thank you for any comments&suggestions.

Comment

2 bad checks under $100.

DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT. They will not even discover it.

Comment

I really hope you're wright. But one of this checks was written to a small independant boutique and my fiancee, who is a small business owner himself tells me that in the small businesses where they count every penny and where they do not have much stuff to do like in the big companies they can actually go to the District Attorney and prosecute me, just to teach me the lesson.
        But let's say they filed the complaint with the district attorney, so in my local City Hall they have a file on me which states, basically that I wrote a bad check, which means committed a crime. I know it wouldn't go to the FBI, since it's not a federal offence, and the INS do the FBI checks, so I must be fine. But do they do state/county check?

Comment

Sounds like at least 2 misdemeanors (of moral turpitude) to me.

I'd contact the bank and try to straighten it out, out of court. Maybe you can pay it off and avoid court.
          Sweet Madame Belu

Comment

If you have friends or family here in USA ... why wouldn't you give them all information in details and they can take care of it....inquire and if there is something wrong...they can just pay for that.... I don't think less than 200$ would be a problem for them and you to take care of it and be on safe side with mental peace. Good luck...

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation