Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Illegal from England needs your help

My boyfriend is from England: Heres the story and I want to help him become legal.

He came to the US in 2/02 with a visa. He came here under good terms and eventually married in '03. Since then he divorced in 5/06. While married he did not get his papers completed and is now in dire need.

What is the process that he will go through. He does not want to return to england and I am will to sponsor him/help with attorney/and he has a minial cash paying job that might help hime as an employer.

Any advice would be helpful. I'm in Houston.

Thanks

My boyfriend is from England: Heres the story and I want to help him become legal.

He came to the US in 2/02 with a visa. He came here under good terms and eventually married in '03. Since then he divorced in 5/06. While married he did not get his papers completed and is now in dire need.

What is the process that he will go through. He does not want to return to england and I am will to sponsor him/help with attorney/and he has a minial cash paying job that might help hime as an employer.

Any advice would be helpful. I'm in Houston.

Thanks

Comment

If you do not marry him (I assume you are a US citizen) -- he is out of luck due to his overstay.

Comment

He better learn our language first ! These d a m n foreigners better learn to speak good American before they get any benefits !!!

Comment

I am a us citizen.

And he's English, of course he knows are lanuage, speaks it better than most Americans I know. :P

Comment

I have met many English people and they talk funny; he better learn to talk good like us !!!!

Comment

Marry him...You can get divorced later on ("Things just didn't work out")

Some of them are classy and intelligent. Look at the one in Apprentice.

Comment

Don't listen to that **** Micheal. He's an immigrant himself. Learn English - please! ignore him. I'm from England, what do you want to know?

Comment

Hi Janmieann,

- you say he did not get his papers from previous marriage, but papers were filed. How that ended? At what stage? Did he have interview?

- you can sponsor him if and when you marry him. Will that be simple or not, depends on the questions above.

Comment

Aneri,

No, he never completed any papers during his prior marriage. (nothing was every filed period). So he is here, divorced, no papers, and way past his visa limits.

I don't plan on marrying him now, we are only dating and I'm trying to help.

Comment

Well, he has to get married or wait for something to fall out of the current immigration debate. He has no other way of gaining residency. Marriage is the best bet.

Comment

Marriage is the ONLY bet. They will forgive his staying beyond his Visa's expiration only if he has a relative (wife) sponsoring him (or if he has a child that was born in the US and is now 21 yrs old or older).

I married my husband (British) this past February, thinking I could sponsor him. Didn't research requirements thoroughly ahead of time. As I compiled all of the paper work needed for the initial interview, I discovered that I wouldn't be able to meet the financial requirements. I became pregnant with his child in May of 2005 and applied for MediCal. Long story short... if I show income for 2005, I get in huge trouble with MediCal (not to mention IRS). Had to back out of sponsorship. If I had someone to co-sponsor, I could still do it. I know of no one willing to take that kind of committment (10 years of financial responsibility).

Should you decide to do this for your boyfriend, you become financially responsible for all of his US debts for 10 years (even if you divorce). Think long and hard about this.

Comment

Didn't you apply for bus-job alreadly?

Comment

Jamieann,
                            Completely missed the part about 2/02 entry date.

Although most have assumed your bf overstay started in 02, I am not sure. Your BF chances will depend on when the out of immigration status started, in 03 or 5/06. If 5/06, then your BF will have an easier tiem adjusting status and you sponsoring him on a work visa if your company sponsor him. And I am not too sure if marriage will work either. It would depend on the circumstances of both his marriage and divorce even though he never filed the paperwork (I am assuming apploying via I-130 and I-485). If the overstay started in 02 b/c your boyfriend came on a student visa or visitor visa, then marriage will be the only way to sponsor him.

Which visa did your BF came on in 02 will be most appreciated since it would help with some assumptions certain board members have stated.
                            "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams on Defense of the boston Massacre

Comment

SPOUSE OF ****STER = ****STER !

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs