Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anti-dated Marriage license

Hi to All, is anti-dating marriage certificate considered a valid marriage cert.?

My friend came here with a fiance visa which of course requires her to get married before the 90 days expire otherwise she'll be sent back to her country. A day before the 90 days expire, she and her so-called husband obtained a marriage license from the probate court. Her bf led her to believe that they are already married by just getting a marriage license. Of course it doesn't require a lot of common sense to figure out what was going on so she tried to keep asking questions... which became one of their major arguments (of course she don't want to be illegal) until finally the truth came out that they weren't married. In short, 90 days passed and yet they're still not married. Since her so-called husband wants her to stay in the US, a month after the 90 days he contacted a friend who can notarize the marriage certificate. They anti-dated it to make it look like they got married before the 90 days. They started to file the petition to adjust her status. Luckily she got approved with a conditional residence status. One more thing, the certificate comes with three copies. My friend kept one copy but the other two copies is in her husband's safe deposit box (that suppose to be sent to the judge to have record at the court that the marriage really happened).

Is the marriage considered valid?

Hi to All, is anti-dating marriage certificate considered a valid marriage cert.?

My friend came here with a fiance visa which of course requires her to get married before the 90 days expire otherwise she'll be sent back to her country. A day before the 90 days expire, she and her so-called husband obtained a marriage license from the probate court. Her bf led her to believe that they are already married by just getting a marriage license. Of course it doesn't require a lot of common sense to figure out what was going on so she tried to keep asking questions... which became one of their major arguments (of course she don't want to be illegal) until finally the truth came out that they weren't married. In short, 90 days passed and yet they're still not married. Since her so-called husband wants her to stay in the US, a month after the 90 days he contacted a friend who can notarize the marriage certificate. They anti-dated it to make it look like they got married before the 90 days. They started to file the petition to adjust her status. Luckily she got approved with a conditional residence status. One more thing, the certificate comes with three copies. My friend kept one copy but the other two copies is in her husband's safe deposit box (that suppose to be sent to the judge to have record at the court that the marriage really happened).

Is the marriage considered valid?

Comment

Hello Charity,

Welcome to the forum.

I'm sure you will find help here.
      Do all the good you can, in all the ways you can, as long as ever you can.

--John Wesley

Comment

Correction: I mean ante-dating marriage license... Thanks Mrs B.

Comment

You're welcome.

I'm also curious as to what the other senior members here will say.
          Do all the good you can, in all the ways you can, as long as ever you can.

--John Wesley

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Charity:

Is the marriage considered valid? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Were they actually married by someone who had authority? I would be a bit concerned about back-dating the marriage certificate.

Comment

Davdah: wow, it's a lot complicated than i thought.

ProudUSC: i think so because notary public is authorized in Charleston, SC. No need for witnesses either.

What they did was just signed the papers, notarized it, that's it.

Comment

By the way, she confronted her husband or bf about him hiding the other two copies of their marriage certificate. He told her that maybe he's shy and he don't want other people esp his family and friends to think that they married too soon. He even mentioned to her that they can have another wedding in her country and they will get another marriage certificate from charleston, submit the new one to the county and declare that the previous license has been lost or misplaced. However, my friend thinks her bf just don't want people to see that he got married for the 3rd time and she really don't think that the wedding in her country will happen. It's just an easy way to avoid the subject.

So are you saying Davdah that their marriage was fake?

Comment

They obviously have no record at the county that they're married, what they have is a proof that they get a copy of marriage license but no marriage date. She spoke to someone from the probate court and asked what if her husband misplaced the copies that supposedly for the county, they told her that she and her husband need to get another license and signed it before the judge. But she was informed that as long as she have original copy in her possession, the marriage is valid (but of course she didn't mention that their license was ante-dated)

Comment

What his family and friends knew is that she is a gf visiting him here. She even get tired of people esp some of his family members asking her if she's planning to stay in the US permanently as if like she's a threat to everybody. They don't have a wedding ring. Speaking of record, you can pull up public records from charleston county website ( I don't know if this is what he's shy about) Sooooo hard... She felt like the guy she knew from the very beginning has changed to a total monster. They don't get along too well. So, maybe you're right Davdah that it will be his ticket if things go bad. Too bad for my friend who gave up her career in her country and opportunity to work abroad because of him. As simple as that eh, send her back.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Charity:

Is the marriage considered valid? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is typical uscis incompetence and lack of security and laziness ... and/or no clue. it would have been very easy for them to check the validity of the marriage certificate but.. noooo they probably just accepted the certificate.

She is a party to fraud. and the notary has put her license on the line. it is very strict these days becuase of a lot of backdating documents.

if she leaves him .. she must return to her country becuase she came here on k1. wont be able to marry anybody else without returning to home country first.

She should feel fairly safe in case he tries to blackmail her about this fraud. She will fire back that she did not know until later and that he and the notary cooked this plan up. they are equal paties to the fraud with her.

This is the kind of thing that can blow up if she ever applies for citizenship and the I/o decides to check it out if a tip was dropped to uscis. bye bye.. she should have returned home. she knew and was aware of the conditions of the visa.

What is done in the dark will eventually come out in the light.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation