Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVC vs CIS

I got a approved I-130 petition. When I applied I was not in US but when it was approved and finally my priorty date passed I was in the US.

So I filed an I-485 complete with all the supporting forms and documents(work and travel authorizations, medical records, affidavit of support) with CIS. I got the initial notices and a fingerprinting appointment.

When I filed I-485 I also notified NVC as my visa category changed. (from child of LPR to child of a citizen). Now I received an information package from NVC asking for a adjustment of status fee and saying that after that they will be sending an I-864 form to be filled. (I already sent a I-864 to USCIS)

Now I'm confused. Do I do what NVC tells me to do or do I just wait for CIS to process my I-485? Any help will be appreciated.

I got a approved I-130 petition. When I applied I was not in US but when it was approved and finally my priorty date passed I was in the US.

So I filed an I-485 complete with all the supporting forms and documents(work and travel authorizations, medical records, affidavit of support) with CIS. I got the initial notices and a fingerprinting appointment.

When I filed I-485 I also notified NVC as my visa category changed. (from child of LPR to child of a citizen). Now I received an information package from NVC asking for a adjustment of status fee and saying that after that they will be sending an I-864 form to be filled. (I already sent a I-864 to USCIS)

Now I'm confused. Do I do what NVC tells me to do or do I just wait for CIS to process my I-485? Any help will be appreciated.

Comment

Which sponsored you? An LPR or a US citizen?

The NVC deals with visas issued at consulates - CIS deals with internal AOS.

It depends - when do you turn 21 and who filed for you?

Comment

I'm already over 21 and my father filed for me.
        When he filed he was a LPR and now he is a citizen.
        I was not in US when he applied but I'm in US now.

Comment

Send the NVC a photocopy of your father's naturalization certificate. They need the actual proof. You can adjust within the country and you do not have to send them money or forms. CIS will process you I-485 - but watch for your priority date.

You may wish to consult a lawyer. A consultation does not cost that much and they can clarify for you.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation