Expiring I-551 Stamp on the passport...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expiring I-551 Stamp on the passport...

Hello folks,

About the I-551 passport stamp;

***If an adjustment grant has been made, the passport can be stamped by an Information Officer for the proof of I-551 issuance. The stamp will be valid for one (1) year. If the laminated "green card" has not arrived within a year, extensions of the stamp can also be placed in the passport.***

My question is, when do you exactly have to go to renew the passport stamp? The problem is my I-551 stamp expires in December 2004, I will be in Army Aviation training at Ft. Eustis VA and I am not going to be able to have the chance to go and renew the I-551 stamp. The earliest chance I will be able to go and do it would be around April 2005, 5 to 6 months after the passport stamp expires. Is this permissable, does it effect the LPR status?

Second part of the question, at that I will not have a valid passport and I won't be getting a new one from the government of my birth country. Does USCIS still stamp I-551 on a I-94 card with a picture on it?

Thanks folks...
    SEMPER VIPER / Army Strong!

Hello folks,

About the I-551 passport stamp;

***If an adjustment grant has been made, the passport can be stamped by an Information Officer for the proof of I-551 issuance. The stamp will be valid for one (1) year. If the laminated "green card" has not arrived within a year, extensions of the stamp can also be placed in the passport.***

My question is, when do you exactly have to go to renew the passport stamp? The problem is my I-551 stamp expires in December 2004, I will be in Army Aviation training at Ft. Eustis VA and I am not going to be able to have the chance to go and renew the I-551 stamp. The earliest chance I will be able to go and do it would be around April 2005, 5 to 6 months after the passport stamp expires. Is this permissable, does it effect the LPR status?

Second part of the question, at that I will not have a valid passport and I won't be getting a new one from the government of my birth country. Does USCIS still stamp I-551 on a I-94 card with a picture on it?

Thanks folks...

Comment

Renewal of I-551 should be prior to expiration date not after. stamp can be renewed 6 months with the proof of non avilablity on the date of expiration. Also can be renewed at consulate too.
      Its a discussion, not a legal advise..

Comment

Dear Mohan,

Thanks for the response;

***Renewal of I-551 should be prior to expiration date not after.***

This is the Temporary I-551 stamp renewal I was wondering about, isn't what you say is about the actual I-551??

***stamp can be renewed 6 months with the proof of non avilablity on the date of expiration.***

Ok yes this is the issue. I am just trying to get the solid info because I don't want to mess up my status, 1-800 National Customer service rep told me that I can go to any INS office to renew the I-551 passport stamp after anytime of the expiration.

Mohan if my understanding is correct "can I go to the local INS office to renew my passport stamp with a letter from the US Army AFTER (or before???) 6 months of expiration of the I-551 stamp in the passport?

Sorry for not understanding correctly...

Comment

to be very clear.
          there are two stamps one "applied For and another Apporved.
          If its approved then its six months time to renew, its before expiration of one year not after( usually plastic will come within a year).
          Yes you can go to local INS office to get extension if you think you will be on assignment for longer where you don't have American consulate. letter will be enough.

If its a stamp that you applied for adjustment then you have to wait for your application will be called on.

Comment

Mohan my AOS was approved so I will go down to my local office this June (6 months BEFORE) the stamp expires to get an extension. I will have a letter from my commander. I won't have a valid passport but I am assuming that they would stamp a I-94 with a pic on it other than that I would just wait the actual card.

One more thing;

I am under Nebraska Service Center, My greencard should come from Nebraska RIGHT?

So I should use the greencard inquiry form for Nebraska Service center am I correct?

Comment

Providing an I-94 is at the officer's discretion. Where a passport can be obtained by the applicant CIS will usually not issue an I-94. If you are in the military, though, they will probably accomodate you.

Comment

the letter from commander will be enough to get extension but I-94 is not the way to extend. there will not be any I-94 stamped but you will have extension with your air force ID.
                I-94 is history now, it only goes with Valid passport and for Non immigration status , Not for GC holder.

Comment

Thanks for the responses.

I am a soldier in the US Army and my loyalty lays in the US. On the other hand, my birth country doesn't give me a passport unless I serve for their military which I will never. So getting a passport from them, is out of question. It is not really obtainable. And to be a loyal and trustworthy soldier who will require security positions in the future, I am not supposed to have ties and contacts with other governments. I am better off without it.

I remember Sioux Falls SD office telling me that they can stamp a I-94 but like you guys said it is an old procedure I guess and it is at officer discretion. I am not going to sweat it, I will just go there and present my situation and give them the letter from my squadron commander.

Thanks folks and have a splendid evening

Comment

If you use Green Card status inquiry form, it will take for ever. You just go to your local office and tell them about your assignment overseas in military, take any proof of assignment if you have one. They will put another stamp -- now they are putting stamps for even two years. I have seen one situation. So just go to local INS office and talk with them. It is matter of just one visit and couple of hours.

Comment

Dear Tak,

Thanks, eventually that is what I will do. My DO is 10 hours drive St Paul MN. Sioux Falls office is an ASC but they stamp passports too, and that is 5 hours drive In June I will be going there with a friend on a vacation sort of thing and take care of the immigration stuff inthe meanwhile.

Also I have talked to a National customer service center supervisor today, in case the office can not help me, they told me to let the stamp expire and then go to local office wherever I am stationed at after my training.

Comment

Bushmaster:

You need to get some assistance with this one - talk to your CO!

1) As far as I know, the INS will only stamp an I-551 into a VALID passport. Additionally, when you go in to talk to someone at the INS, they will only accept a passport as ID. This one I know from personal experience - no passport? Go away and come back when you have one. (Verbatim).

2) There will be a problem trying to renew more than 6 mos before the expiry - once again, talk to your CO and ask to have some legal assistance provided!!!!!

Good Luck - and thanks for protecting my freedom...

ARQU

Comment

Let me ask one more question,

Say I let this stamp expire and never got the plastic greencard, when I am applying for naturalization how do I prove my residency?
                          Because right after tech school next year I am applying for citizenship but I highly doubt that I will have a plastic greencard by then. I am planning to enlist the help of base JAG at that point but I am wondering what would INS do in this case?

Comment

Bushmaster,

Mohan is not quite correct. If your passport is expired. Bring 4 photos (the kind you sent with your AOS application) and they can make an I-94 for you that will have your picture on it and temporary proof that you are a lawful permanent resident (just like the stamp they put in your passport). As I said, this is at the discretion of the officer, but with proof that you need to go overseas this should be no problem.

Comment

John, please write your feedback when you done, lets see who is correct who's not.
                              Your case is not Political asylum case.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs