Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KYL AMENDMENT WOULD REMOVE ESTIMATED 1,000,000 PEOPLE FROM ELIGIBILITY FOR LEGALIZATI

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KYL AMENDMENT WOULD REMOVE ESTIMATED 1,000,000 PEOPLE FROM ELIGIBILITY FOR LEGALIZATI

The Kyl Amendment that has become the focal point for the current impasse in the Senate would exclude criminal aliens. Pro-Immigration Senators don't have a problem with that provision. Where they take issue is a "poison pill" provision in the amendment that would exclude anyone who has been subject to expedited removal or removal in an immigration court. The expedited removal group is the largest. According to an interview in the San Francisco Chronicle, Frank Sharry, director of the National Immigration Forum, estimates that 1,000,000 of the 11 to 12 million undocumented immigrants in the US would be removed from eligibility under the provision.
    # posted by Greg Siskind @ 12:09 PM

The Kyl Amendment that has become the focal point for the current impasse in the Senate would exclude criminal aliens. Pro-Immigration Senators don't have a problem with that provision. Where they take issue is a "poison pill" provision in the amendment that would exclude anyone who has been subject to expedited removal or removal in an immigration court. The expedited removal group is the largest. According to an interview in the San Francisco Chronicle, Frank Sharry, director of the National Immigration Forum, estimates that 1,000,000 of the 11 to 12 million undocumented immigrants in the US would be removed from eligibility under the provision.
    # posted by Greg Siskind @ 12:09 PM

Comment

SENATE STILL HUNG UP ON THE KYL AMENDMENT

The Senate has still not agreed on proceeding with voting on amendments because of disagreement over an amendment offered by Senator Jon Kyl (R-AZ) that would bar criminals, those subject to deportation orders and those who overstayed visa waiver I-94ws from participating in guest worker programs. The Democrats are refusing to take up the amendment unless changes are made to the language and Republicans are refusing to make changes and to take up additional amendments unless the Kyl amendment gets a vote. Senator Frist has given until the end of the weekend to get to a floor vote on the bill and it is not clear whether the Senate will be able to meet the deadline without resolving this impasse.
      ------------

"expedited removal" & "removal in an immigration court"<---- those 2 item are really whats holding up the bill and cause democratic leaders to kill the bill.

Can anyone tell me what is an expedited removal?? is it when you had been given a FINAL deportation order?

Also,"removal in from of a judge" meaning, if you are currently facing a judge, you cant apply?....my irish came from ireland and she overstayed her visa and she'll be facing a judge on asylum claim,so hopefully she would still be able to adjust.

anyone knows what those 2 wordings means?

Comment

this is the meaning of expedited removal-- all individuals who arrive illegally by sea will be placed in expedited removal proceedings and when they are immigration court called "removal in an immigration court".They are not felons.go to

http://uscis.gov/graphics/publicaffa...mnotice_ST.htm

Comment

I also read that the AFL - CIO Chairman Mr. Sweeny put pressure on the Senate to stop the bill because the guest-worker provisions would flood the U.S. with cheap labor and drive down wages for American workers.

http://www.wpherald.com/storyview.ph...5-081442-1848r

Comment

So you really think sweeney can stop a guest worker program from passing???..If you think so, then you ovviously dont know what you're talking about, this guy is the president of one small branch in the union and i doubt he has to power to offset the pro immigration co holition that is building around the guest worker...now we have fresh poll that suggest the american public supports guest worker.

Im sure you might be happy by sweeney statement, but like i said, more union groups would have to setp forward with his claim to stop this.

Comment

The AFL-CIO is only the biggest Union in the U.S. They are acting to protect the "guest-workers" from unfair labor practices. They want assurances for fair wages for all legal workers and are protecting the jobs of Americans. This is in their best interest and our country's workforce. Or would you rather have a slave class of workers in this country? I guess as long as you get your amnesty nothing else matters right? Besides, the rumor is he leaned on Sen. Reid and that was another reason why the bill stalled.

Anyways, President Bush called for Congress to work on the tax cuts and healthcare ASAP during his most recent radio address. These things need to get get done before Congress adjorns. He made no mention of the immigration bill. I think it's because Mexico, the AFL-CIO, and others are putting pressure on him. I also think he realizes that his party is too divided to get anything done this year. He and the Republicans need to push something big through for the upcoming elections. The tax cuts take priority because big business stands to benefit immediately from them. If nothing gets done on immigration this year, it's really not a big deal to big business since the illegals will keep coming regardless until they secure the border. Patience, your amnesty is coming in 2007.

As far as a labor shortage, who needs Congress when there's a secret backdoor guest-worker program just got created without them. It's focusing on ag, but they plan on expaning it.

http://www.yakima-herald.com/page/dis/285851692442338

Comment

Enought-dont play dumb..the afl.cio president had nothing to do with the bill faltering..not even 10%..if you knew anything, you'd know that this amnesty bill is inevitable, specially with the new polls that suggested that the american people are now on our side..The american people are the only person that could stop this, i must admit, and with the new polls, i can guaranty you passage of the amnesty sometimes this year....One guy WOULD NOT, SHOULD NOT stop this...

The bill was stalled because reid and the democrats were able to detect a poison bill on kyl's amendment and tried to block a vote on this amenedment because they werent sure whether they had enought votes to kill kyl's amendment...this is the only reason the deal stalled and not anything else.

If you knew any better, ud know the reid have asked bill frist to bring the same bill back to the floor after the recess...so if it was true that the president of afl.cio pressured him, then why would he ask frist to try to bring it back??

my guess is mccain kenney and other lawmakers convinced reid that they have enought vote to kill the poison-pill amendment, so this is why he's confident to proceed ahead with the bill after recess.

Comment

Jean..you're desire for amnesty is blinding you from the facts. This is understandable. I wouldn't want to be in your situation either. Having to leave the U.S. would s-u-c-k. However, the only one playing dumb is you for ducking the facts.

Since you're so into polls maybe you've seen the ones that show that immigration isn't the top concern for Americans. Healthcare, Social Security, and affordable energy top the list. Here is a site with a summary. The real Gallup site requires membership:

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2006/3/28/145858/311

Or just look at your own post here that shows immigration is low on Americans list of concerns:

http://discuss.ilw.com/eve/forums/a/.../m/22010118231

And you keep bringing up that one poll that states that 79% of Americans support a guest-worker program. Note that such a program is a lot different than amnesty. Here take a look at a reputable poll which gives a better idea of how Americans feel:

http://www.zogby.com/news/ReadNews.dbm?ID=1100

If you heard Bush on his radio address then you would know that he called on Congress to work on Healthcare and make his tax cuts law. He didn't mention immigration. First thing on the agenda is the Appropriations bill to fund the war effort, then I bet they'll tackle the tax cut, then healthcare. The Republicans need to pass something or they put themselves in a worse position in November. Now why would they tackle immigration instead of something that actually has a chance to pass and that is a bigger priority for Americnas?

http://www.huntingtonnews.net/nation...ns-budget.html

Or you can listen to it yourself here:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/

Of course Reid would ask Frist to put immigration back on the table because he knows that he can't. He has to tackle more pressing issues. It's a win-win situation for the Democrats. Just relax. I'm sure they'll get around to amnesty in 2007 and it will be a better bill because it won't be rushed. In case you haven't read the Senate bills, they have a lot of problems and the issue is too divisive and time is running out. At least next year H.R. 4437 will die and I can assure you nothing like that will pass the House again for awhile. The House can introduce a comprehensive companion bill to anything that's in the Senate and the reconciling process will be smooth. So just kick back and drink a Corona. 2007 will be a good year for you. Why rush into a bad situation because you're impatient?

Comment

im glad you are at least admitting that amnesty will be here...Thats one bigot down and more to go....i do not care whether is passes today or in one year, as long as it passes...i really think that it should pass as soon as possible.

I want to stick it in the face of aliba,sundevilusa,enought, someone12,paddy, and the rest of the kkk members when the bill pass..i want to spit in the bigots faces...when the amnesty passes, i want to see what the bigots will say.

Comment

Like I said before. I just want something that is fair. Current laws and the propossed bills lack fairness across the board. It's a shame that you can't see that. You're only concerned with saving your own skin and calling people names when they present you with the facts. You lack the ability and reason to present your argument and so childish insults are you're last resort. You want to call me a bigot, go ahead, because I'm not.

You live detatched from reality and I feel sorry for you. One day you claim to be black, now you're an illegal Mexican named Juan. What will it be tomorrow? Childish. So let me get down to your level for a minute: I hope you get caught by ICE, get deported and are disqualified from any amnesty ever. Our country needs and welcomes quality individuals not nut cases like you. So please find another forum to troll and leave the adults alone. Adios.

Comment

During HR.4437 passage in december, you and your friends, the minute-men, demonized mexicans like me and you guys were having fun and called for mass deportation...now im glad to say that the tables have turned, and now you are upset and calling for my deportation....people like you are the people that really hurt this country...ive been living in this country for 12 years, probably speaks better english then you, pay my taxes and never received a speeding tickets or anything like that.

Comment

have you ever seen a bird that looks like a zebra...well I mean its colors..I have! I am sitting here reading these comments when I look up and out side my window on this gigantic tree is a little bird its green, the top of his head is redish-ornage and the wings are striped black and white just like a zebra..I think it was a wood******...but its sooo cute....AH MAN it left...

Comment

Jean, the one who keeps making "Mexican" synonymous with "illegal aliens" is you--and the people supporting amnesty.

The fact that you've obeyed other laws while you're here doesn't change the fact that your presence here violates the law, and if you're working illegally, that violates it as well. If you're using fake ID, you're committing fraud, also against the law. But it doesn't really matter how well you speak English (you don't write it well), you're not an American and you're not even a legal resident. That you can't admit your own wrongdoing, or even that of your parents, shows that you haven't grasped the basic problem with illegal immigration: illegal aliens think breaking the law, any law, is perfectly OK, as long as it suits them.
                            Illegal aliens you read about obeying the law and paying taxes are doing so not out of respect for the law, but because they're either afraid of deportation or think that paying taxes will show they're "good citizens" and get them amnesty.

Comment

The use of any form of identification that is false does not necessarily indicate fraud. This generalization would not fly in any court.
                              Also, assuming that every illegal individual who files taxes does so with some specific "subjective" intent is irrelevant and cannot be sustained. Opinions are not facts, opinions are to be regarded as one's view of the events, not always a correct or fair characterization of said events.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation