Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Information that may help K1/Fiancee' visa applicants

I got this from the official site of the US consulate in Davao, Philippines. I just thought this will help.

This is the transcript from the chat on the Fiancée Visa Process hosted by the Virtual Consulate Davao on February 8, 2006.

Due to the high level of participation during the chat, not all questions could be answered during the time allowed. However as a courtesy to our users, the questions that were not posted during the chat have been listed here with the answers.

LIVE CHAT TRANSCRIPT:

CONSUL: Good Morning and thank you for joining us for the fiancée visa chat. We will be happy to answer your questions but we will not be able to answer questions that are not of general interest. For your case specific questions you may email consivmanila@state.gov.

User Asked: - What is the timeline for the interview and receive of the packet after the petition has been approved?

CONSUL: The packet will be sent approximately 4-6 weeks before the scheduled interview date. US embassy Manila is scheduling the interviews for approximately 6 months after the date the petition is received from the National Visa Center.

User Asked: Jim - Hi, I'm a LPR in the Philippines. Can I get a K1 visa in the Philippines to take my fiancée to the states to be married there?

CONSUL: the petitioner must file a K-1 visa petition in the United States. The petitioner must be an American Citizen.

User Asked: mjpat - Is there a chance to be denied if the K visa applicant did not put his/her minor children in the application?

CONSUL: You can add your children to the K petition during the interview process. If you choose not to list or take your children on the K, you may be able to petition for them at a later time.

User Asked: kid - Much of the documentation my fiancée will present during her interview in March is from about 3 months ago because we completed everything early. Is there any problem with our paperwork being that old? Everything is still current, no changes of significance in that time.

CONSUL: Some of the documentation necessary for the K-1 visa application does expire, e.g. the local police clearance, the medical. None of the relevant documents expire within a three-month time period.

User Asked: stels - As the U.S. citizen, do I need a citizenship certification number for the entire process (from filing a petition to the issuance of my fiancée's visa)?

CONSUL: I'm not sure what a citizenship certification number is. But you will need a valid form of U.S. citizenship either a valid U.S. passport, a certificate of naturalization, or a birth certificate.

User Asked: ilovegreg - is it possible to apply k-1 if you are already married here in the Philippines?

CONSUL: If you are already married you are not eligible for a K1. Your spouse must file a K3 or IR1 for you.

User Asked: jams - on my NOA#2 it says that it is valid for 4 months ... how does that effect the 6 month delay now in Manila? Will my notice run out of time?

CONSUL: An approved K-1 visa petition is valid for a period of four months from the date of USCIS action and may be revalidated by the consular officer any number of times for additional periods of four months from the date of revalidation, provided the officer concludes that the petitioner and the beneficiary remain legally free to marry and continue to intend to marry each other within 90 days after the beneficiary's admission into the United States.

User Asked: enigma - Where can we inquire regarding the status of a specific case?

CONSUL: For questions about specific cases, please call the Manila Call Center at 1-909-101-7878 or email consivmanila@state.gov

User Asked: enigma - If the beneficiary's address for the delivery of the packet cannot be located by the courier, how do you notify the petitioner/beneficiary?

CONSUL: We send packets to the petitioner and the beneficiary. If the address is incorrect please tell us immediately. Applicant may also pick up the appointment packet at St. Lukes Medical Extension Clinic

User Asked: mikaela - IS IT 100 PERCENT POSSIBLE FOR A K1 APPLICANT CAN PASS THE INTERVIEW IF HER FIANCE WILL ACCOMPANY HER ON THE SCHEDULE DATE AT THE EMBASSY?

CONSUL: Mikaela;
    The presence of the petitioner at the fiancée visa interview is optional. About 90% of our fiancée visa interviews take place without the petitioner being present. If there is information that the petitioner can present in the interview that will be useful, they are welcome to attend but again it's not mandatory.

User Asked: jgapinoy - it seems from the USCIS site that no I-129Fs have been done since December, while other visa applications have been done. Why?

DHS: For information about processing times, visit www.uscis.gov.
    User Asked: mr higgins - Can a petitioner participate in the interview via the telephone?

CONSUL: The petitioner cannot participate in the interview by telephone, but the consul may call the petitioner in the U.S. if there are issues that need to be addressed

User Asked: cherrytan - Hi! I'm an American citizen living in the Philippines and I've recently gotten married to a Filipino citizen. Does this automatically grant him a Green Card?

CONSUL: No you must file the petition and go thru the process. Please see www.travel.state.gov and check the visa section. Also www.uscis.gov

User Asked: Bing - can I do my interview in Davao?

CONSUL: No all interviews must be done in the Embassy in Manila

User Asked: Steve - what is the actual waiting time for the packet?

CONSUL: Our current waiting time for an interview is more or less 180 days the date we receive the K1 petition from the National Visa Center. Both the applicant and petitioner will be receiving an appointment letter about 30 days before the scheduled interview date. You may also check out our website philippines.usembassy.gov for the list of visa interview appointments, the list is updated every 15th day of the month.

User Asked: Philip - Does the marriage have to be held in the United States after approval? Can the petitioner come to the Philippines to get married and will that marriage be valid in the U.S. and satisfy the K-1 question of marriage? Or will there still have to be another marriage once they come into the United States?

CONSUL: Philip
    If you have been issued a K-1 visa DO NOT get married before leaving for the U.S. You must get married within 90 days of arriving in the U.S. but if you marry before you leave then you are entering the U.S. as a spouse of an American Citizen. You have been issued a visa stating that you are a fiancée of an American Citizen. If you are the spouse, then you are entering the U.S. illegally

User Asked: pathdoc78 - I didn't see an answer to my question I posed. Is age a factor in the visa being granted?... for instance, is there an age cutoff, since I heard it may be more difficult to get a visa if the applicant is under the age of 30...please advise

CONSUL: There are no restrictions on the age of K-1 visa applicants other than meeting the legal age of marriage, but all factors will be considered when determining if the relationship is genuine.

User Asked: karenbabao - should I get approved first before taking the medical exam?

CONSUL: No you must get the medical exam done before the interview

User Asked: barvroel - good morning, are personal photographs a strong evidence of a fiancée relationship?

CONSUL: photographs, letters, remittances etc can be helpful indicators of a good relationship.

User Asked: User asked - Do we need an NBI Clearance?

You must have a valid NBI clearance at the time of the interview. In the Philippines the NBI and Police Clearance are the same thing. The NBI clearance is valid for all of the Philippines and local police jurisdiction clearances are not necessary. If the applicant has lived in another country for 6 months or longer, he/she will need a police clearance from that country as well.

User Asked: Jim - the question is as an American residing permanently here in the RP can I get a fiancée visa for my fiancée so we can be married in the U.S.? If not what would be the best and fastest route so we can go the states together on my next trip to the U.S., which will be in July 2006

CONSUL: You must be able to show that you have domicile and residency in the US to have the visa approved.

User Asked: lasprec - is there a limit on the number of visas that are approved in the Philippines?

CONSUL: There is no limit to the number of K-1 visas that may be issued in any country.

User Asked: Mac - Is it true that one of the requirements is having known each other for at least 2 years?

CONSUL: You must have met in person within the two years prior to the filing of the petition

User Asked: mjpat - When can know that we pass or failed medical, is it during the interview or prior the interview?

CONSUL: Mjpat
    If they have a communicable disease they will be notified at the medical examination so they can seek treatment. If they have some other medical condition that prohibits entry into the U.S., they will be notified at the interview.

User Asked: Marcie - Sir, Good Morning, I have just receive information from a third party that I have an interview at the Embassy about my Visa Petition on February 16th, but due to the time restriction how can I get the appointment rescheduled as I have children in school until mid-March and want to bring them with me. Thank you

CONSUL: Please send an email request to Consivmanila@state.gov or fax to 632-338-4129 and we will reschedule your appointment

User Asked: barvroel - what are the necessary documents needed during the interview?

CONSUL:

1) A Form DS-156, Nonimmigrant Visa Application, in duplicate for each applicant;
    (2) An original Form DS-156K, Nonimmigrant Fiancée Visa Application, (Supplement to Form DS-156);
    (3) Valid passport (with at least 6 months validity) for each applicant;
    (4) The principal applicant and derivatives must undergo the standard immigrant visa (IV) medical examination at St. Lukes Medical Extension Clinic in Manila;
    (5) Each applicant must present NSO copy of their birth certificates;
    (6) Each applicant over the age of 16 must present NBI clearances;
    (7) The principal applicant must present proof of termination of previous marriages, if applicable;
    (8) Each applicant must present police certificates of each of the country he/she stayed for more than 6 months outside the Philippines, since attaining the age of 16, if applicable;
    (9) The principal applicant must present proof of relationship to the petitioner at the time of the interview;
    (10) The petitioner must submit present income and asset information. You may utilize the I-134, Affidavit of Support form duly signed by the petitioner. Applicant must also demonstrate to the consular officer's satisfaction that they will not become a public charge. Applicant may submit a letter from the petitioner's employer or evidence that they will be self-supporting.

User Asked: elly - can I petition my fiancée? I'm a U.S. immigrant, do I have to get a citizenship first to file a petition?

CONSUL: You need to be an American Citizen to file for a fiancée petition

User Asked: Adolf triebernig - is my question not being heard?? I've sent a couple and none have been answered. Just wondering if you're receiving them. Thank you.

CONSUL: we have many questions to answer and are trying to answer as many possible.

User Asked: Dan oconnell - can my fiancée come to America on a nonimmigrant visa while we wait for her k1 visa appt?

CONSUL: If your fiancée has a nonimmigrant tourist visa, she can still travel to the U.S. while her petition is pending. If she is applying for a tourist visa she needs to show that she has significant ties to the Philippines and plans to return after her trip.

User Asked: Patrick - What form of Financial Documentation is/are required for my fiancée's interview process???

CONSUL: You may use the I-134 affidavit of support form as well as the last three years of tax returns. You must show that she will not become a public charge.

In follow up to the financial question we need to see income and asset information to ensure that the person will not become a public charge

User Asked: springdays - What are the most common reason of Administrative Reviews and Denials of K1?

CONSUL: Springdays;
    A common reason for administrative review for K visa applicants is the Marriage Index (MI) check. We generally run an MI check to determine whether or not the K visa applicant has an existing marriage to the petitioner or to someone else. You cannot enter the U.S. as a fiancée of an American Citizen if you have an existing marriage that has not been legally terminated.

User Asked: enigma - What are the other documents needed for the Affidavit of Support? Is it a mandatory requirement?

CONSUL: There is no specific Affidavit of Support form required for a K-1 visa. However, the applicant must present sufficient proof that s/he will not become a public charge in the U.S. reliant upon government or public financial support. The form I-134 is a convenient format and is often accompanied by the petitioner's tax documents.

User Asked: Chris mcdermott - Are there any additional fees that will be needed before or during the interview process?

CONSUL: Each applicant is required to pay a US$100.00 non-refundable application fee. This fee is payable in US Dollars or its current Peso equivalent and is paid at an accredited branch of Citibank or the Bank of the Philippine Islands.

User Asked: eunice_austina - hello...I asked earlier what other proof of engagement can be presented aside from snail mails...because you see we are in computer age now and a lot of more sophisticated way of communication are available can we print emails and chat sessions and bring them during the interview?

CONSUL: Proof of relationship can take many forms and no specific form is required other than personally meeting during the last two years. However, the applicant must be able to demonstrate that the relationship is genuine.

User Asked: asrc_xu - Julie: can a fiancée visa be refused?

CONSUL: Even if the paperwork has been completed correctly there are some common problems with K1 visas that can prevent the issuance of the visa. These include: prior unterminated marriage, lack of domicile etc. If the consul determines that the applicant is not eligible the consul will either: explain in writing how the applicant can correct the problem by submission of lacking or additional documentation OR they will give the applicant a written explanation of the ineligibility and return the petition to CIS

User Asked: jannah - Good morning! Jannah here. Could I proceed with my fiancée visa application even if my friend in the U.S. still has a pending divorce case?

CONSUL: Jannah, Both the petitioner and the applicant must be eligible for marriage at the time the petition is filed.

User Asked: pathdoc78 - how much time prior to the interview, is the medical exam usually scheduled?...I was told by some petitioners that their fiancée had the med exam a day or two before the interview...please advise

CONSUL: The medical exams are usually scheduled at least one week prior to the scheduled interview date.

User Asked: gildomlazaro - I'm now living here in the Philippines for the last 6 yrs, can I apply to petition my fiancée even if I'm not in the U.S.?

CONSUL: Gildomlazaro; The petitioner can live anywhere when the petition is filed in the U.S., but at the time of visa issuance, the petitioner and applicant must demonstrate that they will be domiciled in the U.S..

User Asked: enigma - How do you send the packet of instructions? Via postal mail or via courier?

CONSUL: via postal mail so please tell us if your address has changed

User Asked: eunice_austina - what is the set up of the interview? is it in a room and one on one with the consul? how long does it take for the interview to last?

CONSUL: Eunice_austina
    The interview is one on one. Most interviews last less than 10 minutes.

User Asked: asrc_xu - joy: what is the process to have the conditional resident status for my spouse removed?

DHS: To get the CR removed, file an I-751 within 90 days of the second anniversary of the immigrant visa issuance anniversary. Please see www.uscis.gov

User Asked: Dorothy - why is the fiancée visa process faster than a spousal visa?

CONSUL: Dorothy
    The K1/K3 process was designed to be faster than the IR process because of the delays in the IR process. The IR process is getting faster. There might eventually be a time when the K3 process will not be necessary.

User Asked: ed fields - can I phone via globe lines now ? thank you

CONSUL: Ed Fields; The Manila Call Center currently accepts only PLDT and Smart landlines

User Asked: mikaela - IS IT POSSIBLE THAT THE K1 APPLICANT WHEN SHE IS ALREADY IN THE US CAN WORK THERE

DHS: A k1 can apply for work authorization but it is not automatic

User Asked: eunice_austina - what if my fiancée who applied for the petition was married here in the Philippines but both of them are now U.S. citizens and the wife applied for a divorce there which was granted and now they are divorced? can that be a point of denial for the applicant?

CONSUL: Valid divorces in a U.S. court are accepted as proof that a marriage has been terminated. Both the petitioner and the applicant must be single and otherwise eligible to marry at the time the petition is filed.

User Asked: Patrick - Will three years of Income Tax Return be sufficient enough plus the I-134 form???

CONSUL: IF your income on your tax returns and the W2s indicates that you meet the Federal poverty guidelines, it normally is sufficient

User Asked: asrc_xu - lily: I will not marry within 90 days of my fiancée's arrival in the U.S. Can we still apply for a fiancée visa?

CONSUL: Asrc_xu2
    No. If you are issued a K visa you must get married within 90 days of your fiancée's arrival in the U.S. If you do not marry your fiancée he/she must return to the Philippines and another petition must be filed. A K visa holder cannot adjust status or extend the stay in the U.S.

User Asked: jams - What if a fire took tax returns but you still have W-2's...will they be sufficient enough?

CONSUL: You can contact the IRS for copies of your tax returns

User Asked: ilovegurney - will the k1 visa will be much faster if the applicant got pregnant by her fiancée?

CONSUL: In general no, but in cases of documented medical emergencies we will consider early appointment requests

User Asked: lasprec - I filed my tax returns electronically, how can I receive copies of my tax returns?

CONSUL: You should check the IRS website for more information or contact your accountant

User Asked: kansas_city_usc - if my Philippines fiancée worked in a foreign country for over 6 months, but cannot get a police certificate from there because it is on the list of places where a person must be physically present to receive police certificate then will the manila embassy still require that police certificate, even thought it is impossible for her to get?

CONSUL: Kansas City; Police clearances are not required from countries from which they are not available. Information on individual countries is available from travel.state.gov/visa/reciprocity/index.htm

User Asked: lasprec - are transcripts of my tax returns acceptable?

CONSUL: yes as long as they show the complete income information

User Asked: mikaela - DOES THE EMBASSY WILL ALLOW AND HOLD MARRIAGES IN YOUR PREMISES?

CONSUL: No we don't hold marriages at the Embassy

User Asked: mattp - hi, can my fiancée wait in manila and pick up visa there directly?

CONSUL: Mattp; Under some circumstances the consul will consider personal pick-up of a visa, but most visas are not approved at the time of the interview, so the applicant should not assume this will be possible.

CONSUL: Here are some helpful websites.

http.uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/fiancee.htm

www.travel.state.gov

www.unitedstatesvisas.gov

www.chanrobles.com/executiveorderno209.htm for Philippine family code

immigration forms: http.uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/I-129f.htm

User Asked: psyche26 - Will it help to bring my US citizen fiancée at the interview?

CONSUL: Psyche26
    Attendance of the American Citizen fiancé is not mandatory and will not necessarily help your case. About 90% of our fiancée interviews take place without the Amcit petitioner present. If the American Citizen fiancé has information that needs to be presented at the interview, then their participation is welcome. But again, American Citizen fiancé presence is optional.

User Asked: mjpat - Do you inform at once if the applicant is pass or failed the interview?

CONSUL: Mjpat; At the conclusion of the interview the applicant is informed whether all the documentation is in order or what additional documentation or processing may be necessary.

CONSUL:

To contact the National Visa Center from the US the telephone number is 603-334-0700

Or you may email them at nvcinquiry@state.gov

TO contact the CIS National Center please call 800-375-5283 from the US and 785-330-1048 from outside the US

User Asked: jams - Is it true that you are trying to get rid of back log by opening up more days of the week besides Friday for interviews?

CONSUL: James; We conduct K-1 visa interviews every business day.

User Asked: elly - hi I'm a U.S immigrant and I have a month old kid now to my fiancee. Im presently in the Philippines because I got my student re-entry and I'm going back to US after two years, will it be possible to bring my kid with me in the U.S.? what application I need to apply?

CONSUL: Elly;
    We need to know more about your case to help you. Please email us at consivmanila@state.gov with the detailed particulars of your case. Are you an American Citizen or an LPR? Where was your child born? Is your fiancée an American Citizen or from the Philippines? What kind of visa are you on now in the RP?

CONSUL:

Thank you for your participation. We apologize if we didn't answer all of the questions but you can use the contact information that we have provided throughout this chat to contact the appropriate offices. Thank you the chat is now closed. A transcript will be posted on this website within a week.

I got this from the official site of the US consulate in Davao, Philippines. I just thought this will help.

This is the transcript from the chat on the Fiancée Visa Process hosted by the Virtual Consulate Davao on February 8, 2006.

Due to the high level of participation during the chat, not all questions could be answered during the time allowed. However as a courtesy to our users, the questions that were not posted during the chat have been listed here with the answers.

LIVE CHAT TRANSCRIPT:

CONSUL: Good Morning and thank you for joining us for the fiancée visa chat. We will be happy to answer your questions but we will not be able to answer questions that are not of general interest. For your case specific questions you may email consivmanila@state.gov.

User Asked: - What is the timeline for the interview and receive of the packet after the petition has been approved?

CONSUL: The packet will be sent approximately 4-6 weeks before the scheduled interview date. US embassy Manila is scheduling the interviews for approximately 6 months after the date the petition is received from the National Visa Center.

User Asked: Jim - Hi, I'm a LPR in the Philippines. Can I get a K1 visa in the Philippines to take my fiancée to the states to be married there?

CONSUL: the petitioner must file a K-1 visa petition in the United States. The petitioner must be an American Citizen.

User Asked: mjpat - Is there a chance to be denied if the K visa applicant did not put his/her minor children in the application?

CONSUL: You can add your children to the K petition during the interview process. If you choose not to list or take your children on the K, you may be able to petition for them at a later time.

User Asked: kid - Much of the documentation my fiancée will present during her interview in March is from about 3 months ago because we completed everything early. Is there any problem with our paperwork being that old? Everything is still current, no changes of significance in that time.

CONSUL: Some of the documentation necessary for the K-1 visa application does expire, e.g. the local police clearance, the medical. None of the relevant documents expire within a three-month time period.

User Asked: stels - As the U.S. citizen, do I need a citizenship certification number for the entire process (from filing a petition to the issuance of my fiancée's visa)?

CONSUL: I'm not sure what a citizenship certification number is. But you will need a valid form of U.S. citizenship either a valid U.S. passport, a certificate of naturalization, or a birth certificate.

User Asked: ilovegreg - is it possible to apply k-1 if you are already married here in the Philippines?

CONSUL: If you are already married you are not eligible for a K1. Your spouse must file a K3 or IR1 for you.

User Asked: jams - on my NOA#2 it says that it is valid for 4 months ... how does that effect the 6 month delay now in Manila? Will my notice run out of time?

CONSUL: An approved K-1 visa petition is valid for a period of four months from the date of USCIS action and may be revalidated by the consular officer any number of times for additional periods of four months from the date of revalidation, provided the officer concludes that the petitioner and the beneficiary remain legally free to marry and continue to intend to marry each other within 90 days after the beneficiary's admission into the United States.

User Asked: enigma - Where can we inquire regarding the status of a specific case?

CONSUL: For questions about specific cases, please call the Manila Call Center at 1-909-101-7878 or email consivmanila@state.gov

User Asked: enigma - If the beneficiary's address for the delivery of the packet cannot be located by the courier, how do you notify the petitioner/beneficiary?

CONSUL: We send packets to the petitioner and the beneficiary. If the address is incorrect please tell us immediately. Applicant may also pick up the appointment packet at St. Lukes Medical Extension Clinic

User Asked: mikaela - IS IT 100 PERCENT POSSIBLE FOR A K1 APPLICANT CAN PASS THE INTERVIEW IF HER FIANCE WILL ACCOMPANY HER ON THE SCHEDULE DATE AT THE EMBASSY?

The presence of the petitioner at the fiancée visa interview is optional. About 90% of our fiancée visa interviews take place without the petitioner being present. If there is information that the petitioner can present in the interview that will be useful, they are welcome to attend but again it's not mandatory.

User Asked: jgapinoy - it seems from the USCIS site that no I-129Fs have been done since December, while other visa applications have been done. Why?

DHS: For information about processing times, visit www.uscis.gov.
    User Asked: mr higgins - Can a petitioner participate in the interview via the telephone?

CONSUL: The petitioner cannot participate in the interview by telephone, but the consul may call the petitioner in the U.S. if there are issues that need to be addressed

User Asked: cherrytan - Hi! I'm an American citizen living in the Philippines and I've recently gotten married to a Filipino citizen. Does this automatically grant him a Green Card?

CONSUL: No you must file the petition and go thru the process. Please see www.travel.state.gov and check the visa section. Also www.uscis.gov

User Asked: Bing - can I do my interview in Davao?

CONSUL: No all interviews must be done in the Embassy in Manila

User Asked: Steve - what is the actual waiting time for the packet?

CONSUL: Our current waiting time for an interview is more or less 180 days the date we receive the K1 petition from the National Visa Center. Both the applicant and petitioner will be receiving an appointment letter about 30 days before the scheduled interview date. You may also check out our website philippines.usembassy.gov for the list of visa interview appointments, the list is updated every 15th day of the month.

User Asked: Philip - Does the marriage have to be held in the United States after approval? Can the petitioner come to the Philippines to get married and will that marriage be valid in the U.S. and satisfy the K-1 question of marriage? Or will there still have to be another marriage once they come into the United States?

CONSUL: Philip
    If you have been issued a K-1 visa DO NOT get married before leaving for the U.S. You must get married within 90 days of arriving in the U.S. but if you marry before you leave then you are entering the U.S. as a spouse of an American Citizen. You have been issued a visa stating that you are a fiancée of an American Citizen. If you are the spouse, then you are entering the U.S. illegally

User Asked: pathdoc78 - I didn't see an answer to my question I posed. Is age a factor in the visa being granted?... for instance, is there an age cutoff, since I heard it may be more difficult to get a visa if the applicant is under the age of 30...please advise

CONSUL: There are no restrictions on the age of K-1 visa applicants other than meeting the legal age of marriage, but all factors will be considered when determining if the relationship is genuine.

User Asked: karenbabao - should I get approved first before taking the medical exam?

CONSUL: No you must get the medical exam done before the interview

User Asked: barvroel - good morning, are personal photographs a strong evidence of a fiancée relationship?

CONSUL: photographs, letters, remittances etc can be helpful indicators of a good relationship.

User Asked: User asked - Do we need an NBI Clearance?

You must have a valid NBI clearance at the time of the interview. In the Philippines the NBI and Police Clearance are the same thing. The NBI clearance is valid for all of the Philippines and local police jurisdiction clearances are not necessary. If the applicant has lived in another country for 6 months or longer, he/she will need a police clearance from that country as well.

User Asked: Jim - the question is as an American residing permanently here in the RP can I get a fiancée visa for my fiancée so we can be married in the U.S.? If not what would be the best and fastest route so we can go the states together on my next trip to the U.S., which will be in July 2006

CONSUL: You must be able to show that you have domicile and residency in the US to have the visa approved.

User Asked: lasprec - is there a limit on the number of visas that are approved in the Philippines?

CONSUL: There is no limit to the number of K-1 visas that may be issued in any country.

User Asked: Mac - Is it true that one of the requirements is having known each other for at least 2 years?

CONSUL: You must have met in person within the two years prior to the filing of the petition

User Asked: mjpat - When can know that we pass or failed medical, is it during the interview or prior the interview?

CONSUL: Mjpat
    If they have a communicable disease they will be notified at the medical examination so they can seek treatment. If they have some other medical condition that prohibits entry into the U.S., they will be notified at the interview.

User Asked: Marcie - Sir, Good Morning, I have just receive information from a third party that I have an interview at the Embassy about my Visa Petition on February 16th, but due to the time restriction how can I get the appointment rescheduled as I have children in school until mid-March and want to bring them with me. Thank you

CONSUL: Please send an email request to Consivmanila@state.gov or fax to 632-338-4129 and we will reschedule your appointment

User Asked: barvroel - what are the necessary documents needed during the interview?

CONSUL:

1) A Form DS-156, Nonimmigrant Visa Application, in duplicate for each applicant;
    (2) An original Form DS-156K, Nonimmigrant Fiancée Visa Application, (Supplement to Form DS-156);
    (3) Valid passport (with at least 6 months validity) for each applicant;
    (4) The principal applicant and derivatives must undergo the standard immigrant visa (IV) medical examination at St. Lukes Medical Extension Clinic in Manila;
    (5) Each applicant must present NSO copy of their birth certificates;
    (6) Each applicant over the age of 16 must present NBI clearances;
    (7) The principal applicant must present proof of termination of previous marriages, if applicable;
    (8) Each applicant must present police certificates of each of the country he/she stayed for more than 6 months outside the Philippines, since attaining the age of 16, if applicable;
    (9) The principal applicant must present proof of relationship to the petitioner at the time of the interview;
    (10) The petitioner must submit present income and asset information. You may utilize the I-134, Affidavit of Support form duly signed by the petitioner. Applicant must also demonstrate to the consular officer's satisfaction that they will not become a public charge. Applicant may submit a letter from the petitioner's employer or evidence that they will be self-supporting.

User Asked: elly - can I petition my fiancée? I'm a U.S. immigrant, do I have to get a citizenship first to file a petition?

CONSUL: You need to be an American Citizen to file for a fiancée petition

User Asked: Adolf triebernig - is my question not being heard?? I've sent a couple and none have been answered. Just wondering if you're receiving them. Thank you.

CONSUL: we have many questions to answer and are trying to answer as many possible.

User Asked: Dan oconnell - can my fiancée come to America on a nonimmigrant visa while we wait for her k1 visa appt?

CONSUL: If your fiancée has a nonimmigrant tourist visa, she can still travel to the U.S. while her petition is pending. If she is applying for a tourist visa she needs to show that she has significant ties to the Philippines and plans to return after her trip.

User Asked: Patrick - What form of Financial Documentation is/are required for my fiancée's interview process???

CONSUL: You may use the I-134 affidavit of support form as well as the last three years of tax returns. You must show that she will not become a public charge.

In follow up to the financial question we need to see income and asset information to ensure that the person will not become a public charge

User Asked: springdays - What are the most common reason of Administrative Reviews and Denials of K1?

CONSUL: Springdays;
    A common reason for administrative review for K visa applicants is the Marriage Index (MI) check. We generally run an MI check to determine whether or not the K visa applicant has an existing marriage to the petitioner or to someone else. You cannot enter the U.S. as a fiancée of an American Citizen if you have an existing marriage that has not been legally terminated.

User Asked: enigma - What are the other documents needed for the Affidavit of Support? Is it a mandatory requirement?

CONSUL: There is no specific Affidavit of Support form required for a K-1 visa. However, the applicant must present sufficient proof that s/he will not become a public charge in the U.S. reliant upon government or public financial support. The form I-134 is a convenient format and is often accompanied by the petitioner's tax documents.

User Asked: Chris mcdermott - Are there any additional fees that will be needed before or during the interview process?

CONSUL: Each applicant is required to pay a US$100.00 non-refundable application fee. This fee is payable in US Dollars or its current Peso equivalent and is paid at an accredited branch of Citibank or the Bank of the Philippine Islands.

User Asked: eunice_austina - hello...I asked earlier what other proof of engagement can be presented aside from snail mails...because you see we are in computer age now and a lot of more sophisticated way of communication are available can we print emails and chat sessions and bring them during the interview?

CONSUL: Proof of relationship can take many forms and no specific form is required other than personally meeting during the last two years. However, the applicant must be able to demonstrate that the relationship is genuine.

User Asked: asrc_xu - Julie: can a fiancée visa be refused?

CONSUL: Even if the paperwork has been completed correctly there are some common problems with K1 visas that can prevent the issuance of the visa. These include: prior unterminated marriage, lack of domicile etc. If the consul determines that the applicant is not eligible the consul will either: explain in writing how the applicant can correct the problem by submission of lacking or additional documentation OR they will give the applicant a written explanation of the ineligibility and return the petition to CIS

User Asked: jannah - Good morning! Jannah here. Could I proceed with my fiancée visa application even if my friend in the U.S. still has a pending divorce case?

CONSUL: Jannah, Both the petitioner and the applicant must be eligible for marriage at the time the petition is filed.

User Asked: pathdoc78 - how much time prior to the interview, is the medical exam usually scheduled?...I was told by some petitioners that their fiancée had the med exam a day or two before the interview...please advise

CONSUL: The medical exams are usually scheduled at least one week prior to the scheduled interview date.

User Asked: gildomlazaro - I'm now living here in the Philippines for the last 6 yrs, can I apply to petition my fiancée even if I'm not in the U.S.?

CONSUL: Gildomlazaro; The petitioner can live anywhere when the petition is filed in the U.S., but at the time of visa issuance, the petitioner and applicant must demonstrate that they will be domiciled in the U.S..

User Asked: enigma - How do you send the packet of instructions? Via postal mail or via courier?

CONSUL: via postal mail so please tell us if your address has changed

User Asked: eunice_austina - what is the set up of the interview? is it in a room and one on one with the consul? how long does it take for the interview to last?

CONSUL: Eunice_austina
    The interview is one on one. Most interviews last less than 10 minutes.

User Asked: asrc_xu - joy: what is the process to have the conditional resident status for my spouse removed?

DHS: To get the CR removed, file an I-751 within 90 days of the second anniversary of the immigrant visa issuance anniversary. Please see www.uscis.gov

User Asked: Dorothy - why is the fiancée visa process faster than a spousal visa?

CONSUL: Dorothy
    The K1/K3 process was designed to be faster than the IR process because of the delays in the IR process. The IR process is getting faster. There might eventually be a time when the K3 process will not be necessary.

User Asked: ed fields - can I phone via globe lines now ? thank you

CONSUL: Ed Fields; The Manila Call Center currently accepts only PLDT and Smart landlines

User Asked: mikaela - IS IT POSSIBLE THAT THE K1 APPLICANT WHEN SHE IS ALREADY IN THE US CAN WORK THERE

DHS: A k1 can apply for work authorization but it is not automatic

User Asked: eunice_austina - what if my fiancée who applied for the petition was married here in the Philippines but both of them are now U.S. citizens and the wife applied for a divorce there which was granted and now they are divorced? can that be a point of denial for the applicant?

CONSUL: Valid divorces in a U.S. court are accepted as proof that a marriage has been terminated. Both the petitioner and the applicant must be single and otherwise eligible to marry at the time the petition is filed.

User Asked: Patrick - Will three years of Income Tax Return be sufficient enough plus the I-134 form???

CONSUL: IF your income on your tax returns and the W2s indicates that you meet the Federal poverty guidelines, it normally is sufficient

User Asked: asrc_xu - lily: I will not marry within 90 days of my fiancée's arrival in the U.S. Can we still apply for a fiancée visa?

CONSUL: Asrc_xu2
    No. If you are issued a K visa you must get married within 90 days of your fiancée's arrival in the U.S. If you do not marry your fiancée he/she must return to the Philippines and another petition must be filed. A K visa holder cannot adjust status or extend the stay in the U.S.

User Asked: jams - What if a fire took tax returns but you still have W-2's...will they be sufficient enough?

CONSUL: You can contact the IRS for copies of your tax returns

User Asked: ilovegurney - will the k1 visa will be much faster if the applicant got pregnant by her fiancée?

CONSUL: In general no, but in cases of documented medical emergencies we will consider early appointment requests

User Asked: lasprec - I filed my tax returns electronically, how can I receive copies of my tax returns?

CONSUL: You should check the IRS website for more information or contact your accountant

User Asked: kansas_city_usc - if my Philippines fiancée worked in a foreign country for over 6 months, but cannot get a police certificate from there because it is on the list of places where a person must be physically present to receive police certificate then will the manila embassy still require that police certificate, even thought it is impossible for her to get?

CONSUL: Kansas City; Police clearances are not required from countries from which they are not available. Information on individual countries is available from travel.state.gov/visa/reciprocity/index.htm

User Asked: lasprec - are transcripts of my tax returns acceptable?

CONSUL: yes as long as they show the complete income information

User Asked: mikaela - DOES THE EMBASSY WILL ALLOW AND HOLD MARRIAGES IN YOUR PREMISES?

CONSUL: No we don't hold marriages at the Embassy

User Asked: mattp - hi, can my fiancée wait in manila and pick up visa there directly?

CONSUL: Mattp; Under some circumstances the consul will consider personal pick-up of a visa, but most visas are not approved at the time of the interview, so the applicant should not assume this will be possible.

CONSUL: Here are some helpful websites.

http.uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/fiancee.htm

www.travel.state.gov

www.unitedstatesvisas.gov

www.chanrobles.com/executiveorderno209.htm for Philippine family code

immigration forms: http.uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/I-129f.htm

User Asked: psyche26 - Will it help to bring my US citizen fiancée at the interview?

CONSUL: Psyche26
    Attendance of the American Citizen fiancé is not mandatory and will not necessarily help your case. About 90% of our fiancée interviews take place without the Amcit petitioner present. If the American Citizen fiancé has information that needs to be presented at the interview, then their participation is welcome. But again, American Citizen fiancé presence is optional.

User Asked: mjpat - Do you inform at once if the applicant is pass or failed the interview?

CONSUL: Mjpat; At the conclusion of the interview the applicant is informed whether all the documentation is in order or what additional documentation or processing may be necessary.

CONSUL:

To contact the National Visa Center from the US the telephone number is 603-334-0700

Or you may email them at nvcinquiry@state.gov

TO contact the CIS National Center please call 800-375-5283 from the US and 785-330-1048 from outside the US

User Asked: jams - Is it true that you are trying to get rid of back log by opening up more days of the week besides Friday for interviews?

CONSUL: James; We conduct K-1 visa interviews every business day.

User Asked: elly - hi I'm a U.S immigrant and I have a month old kid now to my fiancee. Im presently in the Philippines because I got my student re-entry and I'm going back to US after two years, will it be possible to bring my kid with me in the U.S.? what application I need to apply?

CONSUL: Elly;
    We need to know more about your case to help you. Please email us at consivmanila@state.gov with the detailed particulars of your case. Are you an American Citizen or an LPR? Where was your child born? Is your fiancée an American Citizen or from the Philippines? What kind of visa are you on now in the RP?

CONSUL:

Thank you for your participation. We apologize if we didn't answer all of the questions but you can use the contact information that we have provided throughout this chat to contact the appropriate offices. Thank you the chat is now closed. A transcript will be posted on this website within a week.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation