Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visa Help for Fiance

My Fiance is a South African citizen who has lived here in the United State since his freshman year in high school 11 years ago. He came I believe on a student visa to live with his Aunt and Uncle who always handled his immmigration matters. His aunt and uncle left the states and few years ago and he has since not dealt with immigration at all yet. He was taking college classes until last October when he could not afford to go for a year. He is planning on starting up classes again in January and has been working and paying taxes in the US sinc ehe was 15. We have planned a trip to south africa in October that we have recently discovered won't happen because his visa status is questionable since he stopped class for a year. We want to get married and he wants to be able to go to school and continue work legally. PLease help!?! I am trying to understand what to do, but really have no idea. Can anyone give me a suggested route ot follow? Please. I love him so much and don't want anything to happen to him. We are willing to get married ASAP if that is the easiest way, but I don't know. Please help. Thank you so much

My Fiance is a South African citizen who has lived here in the United State since his freshman year in high school 11 years ago. He came I believe on a student visa to live with his Aunt and Uncle who always handled his immmigration matters. His aunt and uncle left the states and few years ago and he has since not dealt with immigration at all yet. He was taking college classes until last October when he could not afford to go for a year. He is planning on starting up classes again in January and has been working and paying taxes in the US sinc ehe was 15. We have planned a trip to south africa in October that we have recently discovered won't happen because his visa status is questionable since he stopped class for a year. We want to get married and he wants to be able to go to school and continue work legally. PLease help!?! I am trying to understand what to do, but really have no idea. Can anyone give me a suggested route ot follow? Please. I love him so much and don't want anything to happen to him. We are willing to get married ASAP if that is the easiest way, but I don't know. Please help. Thank you so much

Comment

hi DB,

if u marry him ... u can start the AOS process...visit the following links...

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/in...?pg=i130guide2

http://www.visajourney.com/faq/index.htm#step%204

and this one ... visit menu on the left side...

http://www.kamya.com/intro/

once u get NOA after filing the petition ...u can apply for Advance parole and visit the country u want with ur fiancee...good luck...Pasha

Comment

DB,

find out exactly what is your fiance current status (status is questionable ?!). If he is or was in any violation (overstay), from what I read, using Advance Parole to travel is not recommended. Before he adjusts and gets green card, he can always be refused entry into the US because of previous overstay.

Comment

If you love him and dont want to lose him, then get married right away and file adjustment of status package i-130/485/765/864/325a forms. follow links that Pasha gave you .

I concur with Aneri. I would not chance using the 1-131(advance parole) to visit outside the USA until he has greencard in hand. Advance parole gives permission to leave, only problem is there is no guarantee you will be let back in. This is relative whether you had or did not have previous overstay. It is solely at discretion of Immigration.

If you are in Vermont serv center or less busy serv center , most likely green card in 6 to 9 months. Others serv centers vary in timeframe,, some ranging taking up to 3yrs for greencard/interview.

Where are you (geographic area)

Comment

Thank you so much! I was thinking the change of status package was best but I don't know anything about anything We live in Michigan

Comment

I just want to re-iternate the warning of others: Do NOT let him leave the country under any circumstance until he has a permanent resident stamp in his passport!!!

Good luck.
              Have a nice day

Comment

That's what we thought - he is talking to an immigration lawyer tomorrow. I found out he is definitely on a J visa and his arrival/departure record apparently says valid for duration of stay and has no actual leave by date on it. What does that mean? And since he has a social security card and Michigan driver's license still, he can work while we await his change of status application package to go through, right?

Comment

Hi DB

Yes, technically he can still work because he has in his possesion documents that qualify for the I-9 for employment.

Didnt realize that was u in the other thread. so ignore my discussion about the fiance visa.

One more thing... Make sure your fiance does not have J1 visa with 2 year foreign resident requirement.

Comment

Does the fact that he was sent over here when he was 14 change anything about his visa status? He has never changed his visa and has graduated high school and attended two different colleges over 3 years.

Comment

no has nothing to do with his current status.

like I said.. check to see if his j visa has a 2 year foreign resident requirement. so u dont have any surprises.

It appears that he is illegal status right now for not attending classes for a year.

Also, when I mentioned that "technically he could work because he has in posession documents that qualify for the I-9 form for employment. He is not legal to work here! you have to read between the lines here.

Comment

DB,

So is your fiance a J or an F? You said he came as a student and then you said he is definitely a J. I can't imagine a J granted to a student of 14 years of age.

Comment

He told me that he has a J visa - I don't know if his aunt an uncle (who he was living with) changed him to a J after high school when he entered college? He honestly has never had anything to do with his visa before now (But trust me, I will be on him from now on!)
                          What type of visa would they issue to a 14 year old coming over to attend high school, etc.?

Comment

Pepper2004,

I just spoke to my fiance and it is definitely a J-1 visa. I need that boy to let me photocopy his documents, so I have a better idea as to what people are referring to I am the one most activly researching our situation

Comment

How long does it take for someone that married a US citizen to get their green card or temp work permit or any other kind of paper that makes them legal?

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation