Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alien Overstay since 1990 Married now Divorced NEED HELP

I try to make this as brief as possible, and truly hope someone can help me on this complicated issue.
    I came to the USA in July 1990 on a Waiver. I went through Immigration in NY and all I had was a white card which told me I could stay 90 days. My boyfriend and I decided to get married, so I stayed longer and we got married in December of 1990. I was very young, and my Husband said he take care of the paperwork. I went to have pictures made and saw a Doctor, that was it. My husband also took care of changing my Social Security Card.
    We was married until 1995 and until then I did everythin a citizen usually does. I worked, payed taxes etc. and then finally in 1996/97 we both got divorced.
    I told my husband I don't have a green card like other people, my german passport expired and I can't get a new one until I have that, and I needed to go see my Mother in Germany who was dying. He never took care of anything, and after researching everything I could and then finally contacting a Lawyer a few months ago, I was told that the only thing I could do is either to marry again a USA citizen and then with the help of an attorney adjust to status, or wait until the November 06 elections are over to see if I would qualify to stay here.
    PLEASE, can anyone help me or has any idea what I can do?? I have been here for 16 years, never committed any crime, and believe I should be allowed just to adjust to status on my own.
    ANY RESPONSES WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

I try to make this as brief as possible, and truly hope someone can help me on this complicated issue.
    I came to the USA in July 1990 on a Waiver. I went through Immigration in NY and all I had was a white card which told me I could stay 90 days. My boyfriend and I decided to get married, so I stayed longer and we got married in December of 1990. I was very young, and my Husband said he take care of the paperwork. I went to have pictures made and saw a Doctor, that was it. My husband also took care of changing my Social Security Card.
    We was married until 1995 and until then I did everythin a citizen usually does. I worked, payed taxes etc. and then finally in 1996/97 we both got divorced.
    I told my husband I don't have a green card like other people, my german passport expired and I can't get a new one until I have that, and I needed to go see my Mother in Germany who was dying. He never took care of anything, and after researching everything I could and then finally contacting a Lawyer a few months ago, I was told that the only thing I could do is either to marry again a USA citizen and then with the help of an attorney adjust to status, or wait until the November 06 elections are over to see if I would qualify to stay here.
    PLEASE, can anyone help me or has any idea what I can do?? I have been here for 16 years, never committed any crime, and believe I should be allowed just to adjust to status on my own.
    ANY RESPONSES WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

Comment

yea yea....never committed any crimes..you don't belong here, and the BS about a new marriage to who? You want to find some new "miraculous" husband? Sounds like marriage fraud (just the thing some dirtbag immigration attorney would suggest)
      Why don't you just go home?

Comment

You never questioned why you had no green card? How did you work without proper ID?

Comment

now now, don't ask too many questions....remember, she committed "no crimes"...except working without authorization, remaining in the US without authorization, LYING to our immigration folks when she entered on her farphegnugen passport on the waiver program, etc, etc, etc.

Comment

What's the point in having a helpful discussion board when there's nothing helpful about it. This person is seeking 'help' not flames or any type of pre-judgements.

Criminal or ideal role model is irrelevant. The point is this person is in need of help, period. If there is nothing helpful to suggest, then suggest nothing.

To the person that commented about "dirtbag immigration attorney", be aware there are far more worst types of attorneys out there. They did not make the laws, they are playing the game by them, and if the law states one should be married to a US citizen to correct your status, then that's how the game is played...Don't like it? Speak to congress...

tinisoul: Unfortunately the only type of advice that I can give is the same a "dirtbag attorney" would also give. The only workaround for your situation is to marry a US citizen. There are people willing to go through the 2 years that it would take for you to correct status. However this will come at a price. If you decided to go that route, then I suggest that you do more research (craiglist, other useless boards like this, etc..etc..), ask friends, friends of friends, and find out what a fair deal would be.

Nuph said.

-Sham

Comment

Perhaps she should also be aware that ICE just arrested a "marriage ring" which connived at arranging marriages to US citizens for illegal aliens. Those who got "married" with the assistance of the ring now run the risk of being permanently banned--immigration fraud can do that for you.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AliBA:
                Perhaps she should also be aware that ICE just arrested a "marriage ring" which connived at arranging marriages to US citizens for illegal aliens. Those who got "married" with the assistance of the ring now run the risk of being permanently banned--immigration fraud can do that for you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
                I do not think she would be that desperate to exchange money for services with a USC that could constitute marriage fraud. Since she has been divorced, it may be possible that she has another significant other but is afraid to tell that person certain facts about her loose status. Nor is the marriage ring indicative of any marriage to an immigrant who overstayed the visa which the other spouse is a USC or LPR.
                "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams on Defense of the boston Massacre

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tinisoul:
                  ANY RESPONSES WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
                  Since you overstayed your visa because you married your former BF/Husband, you may have some options.
                  Option 1 You could file a waiver if you meet certain conditions. It would be best to consult legal professionals if you do not want to provide a little more details about your former marriage. But this option is the least favorable b/c waivers admit to certain crimality which an immigrant is barred from re-entry. Furthermore, it would be in conjunction with adjusting your status based on status other than marriage, ie employment, assylum, or refugee.

Option 2 Marriage to a USC if that marriage is bona fide. It would be difficult and time consuming given the basic facts of this case.

Option 3 Return to your home country and start your life anew. This is always an option, no matter what the circumstancess are and is not intended for any other purposes.

I do not think that after the Nov elections, there would be any serious immigration reform, namely a guest worker program. This is only my opinion though.
                  "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams on Defense of the boston Massacre

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hudson:

Since you overstayed your visa because you married your former BF/Husband, you may have some options.
                    Option 1 You could file a waiver if you meet certain conditions. It would be best to consult legal professionals if you do not want to provide a little more details about your former marriage. But this option is the least favorable b/c waivers admit to certain crimality which an immigrant is barred from re-entry. Furthermore, it would be in conjunction with adjusting your status based on status other than marriage, ie employment, assylum, or refugee. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

?! Arent waivers only available to spouses and children of USC? She can't be legaly employed, how she'll get to the AOS through employment? Assylum seekers can file for assylum regardless of statut... etc. Did I misunderstand what you were saying?

Comment

This Someone is a kid and has always been a j e r k. People are here in this forum to seek help and here's this AH making fun of the person. Anyway, how did the poster become an American citizen without first obtaining a green card? That's the million dollar question!

Comment

I went through Immigration in NY and all I had was a white card, which TOLD ME I COULD STAY 90 DAYS. My boyfriend and I decided to get married, SO I STAYED LONGER and we got married DECEMBER OF 1990.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I have never committed any crime </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My husband also took care of changing my Social Security Card, then I did everythin a citizen usually does. I worked, payed taxes, etc.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">He never took care of anything, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

...and I needed to go see my Mother in Germany who was dying.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I have been here for 16 years </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

...and believe I should be allowed just to adjust to status on my own.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">16 US "overstay" years - 7 married years = 16 US "unlawful" years </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
                        <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I have never committed any crime </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We was married until 1995.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">then finally in 1996/97 we both got divorced. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">He never took care of anything, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">16 US years - 7 Married years = 9 US "overstay" years? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Correction: He never took care of anything, so it is 16 years unlawful status
                          The above is simply an opinion. Your mileage may vary. For immigration issues, please consult an immigration attorney.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Anyway, how did the poster become an American citizen without first obtaining a green card? That's the million dollar question! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

She's NOT a citizen.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by aneri:
                              ?! Arent waivers only available to spouses and children of USC? She can't be legaly employed, how she'll get to the AOS through employment? Assylum seekers can file for assylum regardless of statut... etc. Did I misunderstand what you were saying? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
                              She can admit to a crime of moral turpitude by filing a I-601(employment, marriage, etc) or I-602 (for assylees). And from what I understand, the person does not necessarily have to been convicted of a moral crime, or any crime, juar voluntarily confessing to a moral terpitude crime. It is very risky and admitting to a moral terpitude crime when no conviction of any crime is on the books, it would make the request unorthodox, to say the least.

The OP did not state she had a child and given her reluctance to provide more information, with due cause, it is possible that she may have a child given the almost six years worth of marriage. But not knowing the domestic situation, and not assuming anything, it is possible for the OP to file a harship waiver.

Finally, the attorney, IMO, gave the two paths of least resistance, marriage or wait. If the elections do not turn out the way NILC or AILF percieve, it is quite possible a waiver could be the only route to remain in the US.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation