X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EAD holder subject to deportation?!

Hi everyone:

I was told by an immigration attorney that immigrants who are adjusting their status, even though they hold a valid EAD they can be subjected to deportation?
    Isn't the EAD an official document that proves the legal status of an immigrant while waiting for his/her GC?
    Feedbacks on the issue will be appreciated.

Hi everyone:

I was told by an immigration attorney that immigrants who are adjusting their status, even though they hold a valid EAD they can be subjected to deportation?
    Isn't the EAD an official document that proves the legal status of an immigrant while waiting for his/her GC?
    Feedbacks on the issue will be appreciated.

Comment

EAD is just a permission to work. It can not be used as to an authorization to travel or as to a proof to any kind of legal status. I've a friend who had pending AOS based upon marriage to USC, she was picked up by immigration officials along with other illegals at her job where she was working. It is very ironic that despite of her having valid EAD, she was deported. She was told that having an EAD doesn't mean that she had legal status and she was also told that Attorney General has discretion to detain and deport anyone who has no legal status even though someone is having a valid EAD. That's how I came to know about this EAD thing in connection with deportation. So, whoever told you about the above information, is absolutely right.

Comment

EAD means you can work ONLY. It does not confer any kind of lawful status. If you have a deportation order against you and you have a valid EAD you can be deported. If you have a pending I-485 and you have a deportation order you can be deported.

Comment

To put it simple, up untill you become a sworn in US citizen you can be deported.

http://www.immigrate2us.net
          I am not a lawyer nor do I claim to be one so please double-check any information given by me, or anyone else for that matter, with a certified (immigration)lawyer before you take any further steps.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation