X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emergency medicaid question- URGENT

Hi:

Does anybody know if non-LPRs are eligible for emergency medicaid? Also, if eligible and if one chooses to take that what implication, if any, does it have on his future imigration petition?

Here is my case:
    My dad came here to visit me about 3 years ago on tourist visa, had a stroke and became completely non-ambulatory. We got 4 extensions for him and unfortunately INS denied the 5th one and as well as the motion to reopen (his doctors had letters stating his condition and that he cannot take transcontinental fligth given his health condition). I applied for USC this April and waiting on to get naturlized and apply for him (out of status now). He had to be hospitalized this weekend and most likely the insurance would deny any claim based on pre-existing condition. I leanred that imigrants, legal and illegal, can get emergency medicaid. Can my dad get that to pay his hospital bill only (he is 76). Could that be an issue when I apply for his status adjustment? Any suggestion would be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi:

Does anybody know if non-LPRs are eligible for emergency medicaid? Also, if eligible and if one chooses to take that what implication, if any, does it have on his future imigration petition?

Here is my case:
    My dad came here to visit me about 3 years ago on tourist visa, had a stroke and became completely non-ambulatory. We got 4 extensions for him and unfortunately INS denied the 5th one and as well as the motion to reopen (his doctors had letters stating his condition and that he cannot take transcontinental fligth given his health condition). I applied for USC this April and waiting on to get naturlized and apply for him (out of status now). He had to be hospitalized this weekend and most likely the insurance would deny any claim based on pre-existing condition. I leanred that imigrants, legal and illegal, can get emergency medicaid. Can my dad get that to pay his hospital bill only (he is 76). Could that be an issue when I apply for his status adjustment? Any suggestion would be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

Comment

Hi tomhu,

Sorry to hear about your situation...contact this number and they will help you out to get Medicare for your dad... Social Security Administration 1-800-772-1213... I guess it shouldn't matter when u apply for him after becoming a USC as he will be your immediate relative but I m not sure on this one so you might want to consult a lawyer about that...

Contact tomorrow the number I wrote before...and they will try to help you whatever they can... lets take care of his health first...immigration doesn't even come as first preference when question is about your dad's health... I wish him to get well soon...Pasha

and its medicare and not medicaid.

Comment

In case like this emergency Medicaid will cover all the bills. Speak to hospital's social worker and they will apply for emergency Medicaid which covers one time's expense. Usually it takes between one or two months. Social worker might collect some information from you but they don't pass that information to INS, as far I know. And keep this to that hospital only.

"Section 1903(V) of Social Security Act provides that aliens who are not lawfully admitted for permanent residence or otherwise permanently residing in the United States under color of law may be provided medical assistance for the treatment of emergency medical condition only"

dude in short and sweet when he is hospitalized social worker will come to you guys and take care of business from there don't worry.

Comment

Was an affidavit of support completed on his behalf? Just wanted you to be aware if he gets benefits, they may want reimbursement from the sponser,but they cannot deny him medical treatment

Comment

As Vivek says it sounds like a situation where the hospital social worker can assist in getting your Father signed up. This link describes the "means tested benefits". Emergency medicaid is not considered one and medicare isn't listed at all so hopefully they wouldn't be affected by the I-864.
            http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/imm...overty3.html#5

Comment

Thanks to everyone who responded. Just a clarification, I did I 134, not 864 while I sponsored him. Does that make any difference in obligation on my part?

Comment

11. That I intend do not intend to make specific contributions to the support of the person(s) named in item 3.
                (If you check "intend," indicate the exact nature and duration of the contributions. For example, if you intend to furnish room and board, state for how long and, if money, state the amount in United States dollars and state whether it is to be given in a lump sum, weekly or monthly, or for how long.)

What was your answer to this question number 11 in I-134? Don't worry nothing is going to happen.

Comment

So, I still need to know for sure if applying for emergency medicaid would be viewed as being on public charge when I can apply for my dad. Please help me on this.

Thanks.

Comment

"The following types of programs are not counted as means-tested public benefits: emergency Medicaid..."

http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/affsupp.htm

Comment

Thanks Sphyrapicus3. So if I apply for emergency medicaid and my dad gets the hospital bill supplimented, whenever I will apply for his LPR in the form 485, part 2 (Have you received public assistance in the US from any source, including the US government or any state, county, city or municipality (other than emergency medical treatment) or are you likely to receive public assistance in the future?), will the answer be NO or YES. I talked to the partner of my lawyer. She does not seem to be very knowledgeable in that. However, she said that a YES answer would complicate his case.

Comment

tomhu,

Why don't you cross that bridge when you come to it? If your dad needs emergency medicaid now then get him emergency medicaid and worry about filling in forms later.

Comment

Tomhu, you will be fine for sure and I am telling you from my experience working for welfare system. Also if you cannot afford medication later on then I am sure there are public hospitals are there in your state or city where you register your father and you have to pay $10 or $15 per visit and medication will be covered also. It does not reflect anything on INS. Just make sure that he is not hospitalized for long term. I hope that is not the case.

Comment

Can you take out some kind of loan. If he has been here for three years and suffered a stroke in that time who has been paying for his mdical bills?

Comment

Thanks all who responded. My condition is probably I would be able to make the payment through some payment plan which would be really tight on me (given that I have to pay for his care giver as well which costs me about $1100/month along with other routine medication and doctors visits). I will go for payment plan, if getting emergency medicaid will definitely have an negative impact on his 485 process. Thats what I am trying to figure out.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation