X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please can someone answer...

Hello

I am new to this board and I have several questions.

I am a Jew who is planning to marry a Muslim.
    I was wondering how long it takes for the process as a result of 911 and racial profiling.

In a nut shell I am legal and he is not...is the fact that he is muslim going to delay his application? how long does it currently take to apply for a green card, work permit, citizenship?

Thank you for repsonding...
    Sinecerely
    CG

Hello

I am new to this board and I have several questions.

I am a Jew who is planning to marry a Muslim.
    I was wondering how long it takes for the process as a result of 911 and racial profiling.

In a nut shell I am legal and he is not...is the fact that he is muslim going to delay his application? how long does it currently take to apply for a green card, work permit, citizenship?

Thank you for repsonding...
    Sinecerely
    CG

Comment

911 has nothing to do with you and your future husband as long as you guys file the petition properly, there shouldn't be any problem.

The processing time depends on the service center you are filing with. usually it shouldn't take more than 2 months to get the work permit from the day you file for the Adjustment of Status and work authorization.

Jew married to a Muslim! this gives me the hope. Good luck

Comment

'In a nut shell I am legal and he is not..'

'..not legal' means he overstayed his visa or he entered without inspection?

Are you USC?

Those facts will have a huge impact on the lenght of the process.

Comment

Thanks for responding...what is USC?

Comment

oh silly me ..you meant am I a US citizen? yes I am

Comment

USC = U.S. citizen
              LPR = Lawful Permanent Resident (green card holder)

Only a USC or an LPR can file an alien relative petition form I-130. This the first step in the process. You can file this form even if your hubby (E)ntered (W)ithout (I)nspection (hopped a fence, EWI). But he cannot adjust his status while in the U.S. (file I-485). He'd have to go back to his home country and go through "consular processing" to return as an immigrant (I-130 is approved) or on a non-immigrant spousal visa (K-3) while I-130 is still pending.

If you're a USC you and your hubby can file form I-485 concurrently with I-130 (assuming he enterd ispected with a visa or Visa Waiver Program) as well as forms I-756 (employment authorization), I-131 (advanced parole to travel outside the U.S. while I-485 is pending). LPR can only file form I-130. Filed/pending I-130 won't change your hubby's status from illegal to legal, only filed/pending I-485 will. If you become a USC and upgrade I-130 to the immediate relative you'd still have to wait for the I-130 to get approved before filing I-485.

On average it takes 6/12 months to get I-130 approved and 1/3 years to get an interview after I-485 is filed. Employment authorization shouldn't take more then 3 months. Advanced parole takes about 3/5 weeks to obtain.

If you're married less then two years at the time of your I-485 interview he'll get a conditional two year green card. You'll have to file for a removal of condition 90 days before the two year anniversary. It could take another 1/1.5 years to remove the condition. If he stays married to you for 3 years after obtaining first green card he can apply for the U.S. citizenship. It will take another year for the application for citizenship to get approved. Otherwise he'd have to wait for 5 years assuming that he fulfills the residency requirements.

http://uscis.gov

Comment

To add to that. The fact that he's a Muslim in theory can slow the whole process down considerably because of many common Muslim names that result in lengthy security clearances.

Comment

Employment authorization document,EAD is form
                  I-765 not I-756.

Comment

Thanks to all who replied!!!!!

Comment

hi cafegal ...

u got very good replies from all...but wanted to tell u something if he is visa overstayed then there is no problem but if he entered without inspection... u cant adjust the status while him being in USA... u will have to file a waiver I 601 and he will have to leave the country first in order to get qualified for adjusting status...good luck... Pasha

Comment

Thank you Pasha
                        He entered the country legally with a visa

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources