Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bill Requiring Hospitals to Report Undocumented Patients Defeated on House Floor

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill Requiring Hospitals to Report Undocumented Patients Defeated on House Floor

5/18/2004
    The House just considered and defeated it by a vote of 331 – 88 legislation sponsored by Representative Dana Rohrabacher (R-CA) (The Undocumented Alien Emergency Medical Assistance Amendments of 2004 (H.R. 3722)). Among its provisions, H.R. 3722 would have denied hospitals and other health care providers reimbursement for uncompensated emergency care they provide to undocumented immigrants unless they report those immigrants to the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). Providers would thus have had to verify the immigration status of all uninsured patients presenting health care emergencies. Health care providers would be required to transmit to DHS information including their patients' financial data, identity of employer, and biometric information. The Rohrabacher bill also would have narrowed the scope of emergency health services available to undocumented persons and have made inability to pay medical expenses a basis for removal from the U.S. Employers of undocumented workers whose medical expenses are reimbursed by the federal government would have been required to repay the government for those costs.

5/18/2004
    The House just considered and defeated it by a vote of 331 – 88 legislation sponsored by Representative Dana Rohrabacher (R-CA) (The Undocumented Alien Emergency Medical Assistance Amendments of 2004 (H.R. 3722)). Among its provisions, H.R. 3722 would have denied hospitals and other health care providers reimbursement for uncompensated emergency care they provide to undocumented immigrants unless they report those immigrants to the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). Providers would thus have had to verify the immigration status of all uninsured patients presenting health care emergencies. Health care providers would be required to transmit to DHS information including their patients' financial data, identity of employer, and biometric information. The Rohrabacher bill also would have narrowed the scope of emergency health services available to undocumented persons and have made inability to pay medical expenses a basis for removal from the U.S. Employers of undocumented workers whose medical expenses are reimbursed by the federal government would have been required to repay the government for those costs.

Comment

wow.... thanks for posting it over here...didn't know about that...

Comment

DID THIS BILL ALREADY PASS OR IT IS STILL IN CONGRESS...?

Comment

Having problem reading? Title clearly said it was defeated, its a goner.

Comment

yes title is CLEAR for those of us who speak and read english as a first language

Comment

I don't think even the bill's sponsor ACTUALLY expected it to pass.

The INS already knows where illegals are. I don't think the INS realy needs to be TOLD where they are located.

They just choose NOT to find them. That's the problem.

-= nav =-

Comment

guys...

there is nothing wrong with reading.... i didnt even know somebody can put such a bill....lol.... of course it was not going to pass.... i was wondering in future they might come up with funniest bills with hope to pass....lol....i didnt even check this post after first time....only today it got my attention and then realized whats going on....have a great day...!

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation