Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long do background checks take?

My husband finally had his interview in Kansas City Dec. 18. The interviewer said all looked good, but the background check hadn't come back yet.

He has since received his authorization to work in the mail, but no green card. Because he's been here so long (since 1998), this petition is for permanent residency. He's Canadian.

Does anyone know how long the backlogs are running?

My husband finally had his interview in Kansas City Dec. 18. The interviewer said all looked good, but the background check hadn't come back yet.

He has since received his authorization to work in the mail, but no green card. Because he's been here so long (since 1998), this petition is for permanent residency. He's Canadian.

Does anyone know how long the backlogs are running?

Comment

Terese,

some people are cleared in the matter of minutes, for the others it takes months... The problem may be that USCIS submitted the request to FBI late (should be cleared before the interview), it was misplaced, any other imaginable reson; or - the name generated a "hit" on one of the lists they are checking. That would mean that now FBI is doing manual checking (comparing other info) to clear your husband's name.

Comment

I know there were no "hits", so how long do we wait before we try to find out if it's been lost or mishandled or something?

Comment

I am out USA and the embassy approved every thing and sent it to Washington DC to administrative processing ( which some say is the same background checking) and I am waiting since July 17th if the embassy sent it right away so you talk about 6 months and no answers

some said as long as we have no issues (which is the case) we should not worry, I just worry about my wife who needs me badly for illness circumstances

Comment

Now we're in May and still nothing. The lawyer tells us they are backed up, that KC Immigration office has staffing issues and there is nothing to do but wait.

I *so* want him to be able to visit home this summer. I guess we'll just sit. UGH!

Comment

"¢ The Interagency Border Inspection System (IBIS) Name Check"” IBIS is a multi-agency effort with a central system that combines information from multiple agencies, databases and system interfaces to compile data relating to national security risks, public safety issues and other law enforcement concerns. USCIS can quickly check information from these multiple government agencies to determine if the information in the system affects the adjudication of the case. Results of an IBIS check are usually available immediately. In some cases, information found during an IBIS check will require further investigation. The IBIS check is not deemed completed until all eligibility issues arising from the initial system response are resolved.

"¢ FBI Fingerprint Check"”FBI fingerprint checks are conducted for many applications. The FBI fingerprint check provides information relating to criminal background within the United States. Generally, the FBI forwards responses to USCIS within 24-48 hours. If there is a record match, the FBI forwards an electronic copy of the criminal history (RAP sheet) to USCIS. At that point, a USCIS adjudicator reviews the information to determine what effect it may have on eligibility for the benefit. Although the vast majority of inquiries yield no record or match, about 10 percent do uncover criminal history (including immigration violations). In cases involving arrests or charges without disposition, USCIS requires the applicant to provide court certified evidence of the disposition. Customers with prior arrests should provide complete information and certified disposition records at the time of filing to avoid adjudication delays or denial resulting from misrepresentation about criminal history. Even expunged or vacated convictions must be reported for immigration purposes.

"¢ FBI Name Checks"”FBI name checks are also required for many applications. The FBI name check is totally different from the FBI fingerprint check. The records maintained in the FBI name check process consist of administrative, applicant, criminal, personnel and other files compiled by law enforcement. Initial responses to this check generally take about two weeks. In about 80 percent of the cases, no match is found. Of the remaining 20 percent, most are resolved within six months. Less than one percent of cases subject to an FBI name check remain pending longer than six months. Some of these cases involve complex, highly sensitive information and cannot be resolved quickly. Even after FBI has provided an initial response to USCIS concerning a match, the name check is not complete until full information is obtained and eligibility issues arising from it are resolved.

Comment

Finally, a resolution!

We filed paperwork a couple of months ago after verifying that we were well outside normal processing times. We continued to check in on the 800 number monthly. Finally, in late July, a representative told us that we needed to make an appt. to see an agent in Kansas City. We did, and went the following week.

As it turned out, the agent who did his interview last December had retired. His security clearance had been completed months ago, but no one was actively keeping up with that agent's cases as she had not been replaced yet. It took them 45 minutes to even find the file, but they finally did and told us he'd have his green card within 30 days.

He got his card within 10 days, and we're now scheduled to take a much needed vacation back to Canada so he can visit family

Comment

Hey herbit,
                  good news for me.i got the green card finnally.
                  filed i485-oct 06
                  finger prints-nov 06
                  Interview-march 07-status name check pending.
                  2nd fingerprint-jun 07
                  welocome letter aug 20 2007
                  got card-aug 28 2007
                  original when called finger print check,they did not have my fingers on file but when i took the 2nd fingers they had it righ away.
                  i wrote to Senators and congress but i don't knw if it help or not.
                  good luck and best wish

Comment

How do you find out there were "no hits"?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ms_terese:
                    I know there were no "hits", so how long do we wait before we try to find out if it's been lost or mishandled or something? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation