X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My case

Hello,

I am from Brazil and have been in the US for 4.5 years, I came here with a 3 months tourist visa. I have many relatives that are US residents/citzens (uncles and cousins) they encouraged me to stay, saying that I could find a job that would sponsor me.

Well time passed quickly and my visa and I-94 expired, and I still could not find a sponsor untill the last year. My current employer is a non-profit brazilian organization in DC, they are aware of my illegal status and willing to sponsor me. I talked to a imigration lawyer by phone and he told me that since I've been illegal for more than one year my only chance to legalize my status was to get married =(.

My question is, is there any way that I can legalize my status other than getting married?

I know that from time to time the law changes so I was hoping that I could find a solution to my case, but I don't wanna waste money consulting a lawyer again if there is no chance for me.

Thanks in advance.

Hello,

I am from Brazil and have been in the US for 4.5 years, I came here with a 3 months tourist visa. I have many relatives that are US residents/citzens (uncles and cousins) they encouraged me to stay, saying that I could find a job that would sponsor me.

Well time passed quickly and my visa and I-94 expired, and I still could not find a sponsor untill the last year. My current employer is a non-profit brazilian organization in DC, they are aware of my illegal status and willing to sponsor me. I talked to a imigration lawyer by phone and he told me that since I've been illegal for more than one year my only chance to legalize my status was to get married =(.

My question is, is there any way that I can legalize my status other than getting married?

I know that from time to time the law changes so I was hoping that I could find a solution to my case, but I don't wanna waste money consulting a lawyer again if there is no chance for me.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

so far your only chance is to get married to USC. Your lawyer is right. As for the changes in law, keep hoping, I guess.

Comment

Yes, getting married would be your only option. If you don't want to get married but want to stay in the states, you can hope and pray that the laws change. If go back to Brazil, you will not be able to come back here for 10 years.
        Have a nice day

Comment

Marry a USC.

And then talk to me afterwards...maybe I can teach you Capoeira

Comment

Yes get married.

And in turn, you'll invariably without you knowing, add another tick that gets added to an internal database of Brazilian tourists who overstay and get married.

Which results in yet another memo sent to the Brazilian consulate, which yes, results in even MORE brazilians getting denied tourist visas.

Translation we then get mr unknown (perhaps innocent) Jose Brazilian coming here complaining about how the US immigration system is being narcissistic and unfair. In which case, we can then tell him to send you the email to thank for the tightening of the rules.

It disheartens me to realize just how self-serving and selfish most illegals are. To comprehend the fact that NONE of them ever spend a moment to think outside the box, and realize just what effect their actions will have on the rest of their countrymen.

There's a reason why some country's citizens can come across in their bathrobes with no ID (canadians) and why some are constantly rejected (mexicans and brailizans).

-= nav =-

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed