Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having a lawyer present at an interview

We have our AOS marriage interview coming up in August. The interview will be with Me (I'm the USC) my wife and my nine year old step-son. We hired an immigration lawyer that fill out and filed all our forms. He has helped us organize our paperwork, and has given us some helpful information about preparing for the interview. He wasn't cheap, but I think I paid a fair price for the work he has done. It's now time for us to decide if we want him to attend the interview with us. Ofcourse that is not cheap either.

I don't feel there should be any reason our AOS case should be denied, but from what I've heard and read on this site...nothing is guaranteed. I would be interested in hearing peoples opinions and experiences on having an Lawyer attend the AOS interview. Is it/was it worth it...why or why not? Thank you.

We have our AOS marriage interview coming up in August. The interview will be with Me (I'm the USC) my wife and my nine year old step-son. We hired an immigration lawyer that fill out and filed all our forms. He has helped us organize our paperwork, and has given us some helpful information about preparing for the interview. He wasn't cheap, but I think I paid a fair price for the work he has done. It's now time for us to decide if we want him to attend the interview with us. Ofcourse that is not cheap either.

I don't feel there should be any reason our AOS case should be denied, but from what I've heard and read on this site...nothing is guaranteed. I would be interested in hearing peoples opinions and experiences on having an Lawyer attend the AOS interview. Is it/was it worth it...why or why not? Thank you.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tntdino:

I don't feel there should be any reason our AOS case should be denied, but from what I've heard and read on this site...nothing is guaranteed. I would be interested in hearing peoples opinions and experiences on having an Lawyer attend the AOS interview. Is it/was it worth it...why or why not? Thank you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In my opinion its not worth the cost to you, our case was straight forward and we had no problems at all. Your lawyer will NOT be able to help you at your interview, they can only sit at the side of the room to ensure your rights are not breached, they cannot answer any questions or prompt you on questions and certainly cannot direct the proceedings in any way.

Just make sure you have all the items you have been asked to take to the interview, be totally HONEST and I am sure everything will be fine.
      Good luck and I look forward to sending you Congratulations

Comment

Only criminals need lawyers

Comment

Not all tax attorneys represent criminals. But I assume, if you go to the interview with a Lawyer it gives the appearence of being guilty of something.

Comment

Only criminals need lawyers*

*Copyright 2007

Comment

True story. The first time I said this was to my ex-"wife" right after the AOS interview when she asked me why we didn't have a lawyer. Several years later and many thousands of dollars later she really learned this !

Comment

I disagree.

Comment

What; like you were there? It really happened. it was as we were crossing Canal Street. She was upset she was only conditional and thought it was because we didnt have a lawyer. You were not there. I said it ! Who are ou to disagree when you were not even there !

Comment

I disagree that ppl should go w/out an attorney. Comprende?

Comment

Then, you must be a lawyer, JF2007! I've read about numerous cases where couples went to interviews without attorneys present - and their applications were approved. If the case is solid, no marriage fraud involved, plenty of evidence, they shouldn't need to spend thousands extra for an attorney.

Comment

no I am not. and yes I know many couples and other types of petitions being approved without an attorney, sure. However, the attorney takes alot of the weight off (paperwork, etc)potential problems and many even know the true local procedure of specific CIS office and/or officers and the way they work individually.

Comment

You are wrong JF ! Having an attorney present creates immediate suspicion and heightened senses by the immigration agents. Why would sincere people need an attorney? What are they hiding? That's what I would want to know. What are they hiding ???!!!???

Comment

I disagree.

Comment

How can you disagree on what I want to know? You can't read my mind. I want to know what they are hiding ! You can't disagree what is in my mind ! I WANT TO KNOW WHAT THEY ARE HIDING !

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation