Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green card & citizenship marriage answers needed

I got married for love, but now I am considering a divorce almost a year later. His interview for a green card is next month. I still care about him but I don't know if I can stay in this marriage any longer. I don't want to interfere with his status because he was on a student visa, and since we got married he applied for the green card, but I heard that he cant change his status again for 10 years. I want to know what options he has availible if I decided that I want a divorce. If there are no other options I would like to know how long after the interview do we have to stay married to eachother for him to get his green. Also, if we get divorced soon after he gets a green card would that interfere with his citizenship, and would he have other alternatives for aquiring citizenship if he at least has a green card but then gets divorced?

I got married for love, but now I am considering a divorce almost a year later. His interview for a green card is next month. I still care about him but I don't know if I can stay in this marriage any longer. I don't want to interfere with his status because he was on a student visa, and since we got married he applied for the green card, but I heard that he cant change his status again for 10 years. I want to know what options he has availible if I decided that I want a divorce. If there are no other options I would like to know how long after the interview do we have to stay married to eachother for him to get his green. Also, if we get divorced soon after he gets a green card would that interfere with his citizenship, and would he have other alternatives for aquiring citizenship if he at least has a green card but then gets divorced?

Comment

If the divorce occurs during the "conditional" residency period, the sponsored immigrant can secure permanent residency by filing a waiver of the joint requirement of I-751 as soon as the divorce is final. That waiver requires that the immigrant be able to prove that the marriage was legitimate.

The immigrant could apply for citizenship 4 years and 9 months from the date he received permanent resident status (this should be 90 days prior to the expiration date on the GC he receives if AOS is approved) if not still married to a US citizen.

Comment

Hi,
        I I am married with a USC for over 4 years, but have not obtained my GC yet (In process) am I able to apply for naturalization to become a USC myself, or is the three eyars is from the date my GC was approved.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation