Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As stated...

From President Bush's State of the Union speech, Jan. 23, 2007: "Extending hope and opportunity in our country requires an immigration system worthy of America - with laws that are fair and borders that are secure. When laws and borders are routinely violated, this harms the interests of our country. To secure our border, we're doubling the size of the Border Patrol, and funding new infrastructure and technology. Yet even with all these steps, we cannot fully secure the border unless we take pressure off the border - and that requires a temporary worker program. We should establish a legal and orderly path for foreign workers to enter our country to work on a temporary basis. As a result, they won't have to try to sneak in, and that will leave Border Agents free to chase down drug smugglers and criminals and terrorists. We'll enforce our immigration laws at the work site and give employers the tools to verify the legal status of their workers, so there's no excuse left for violating the law. We need to uphold the great tradition of the melting pot that welcomes and assimilates new arrivals. We need to resolve the status of the illegal immigrants who are already in our country without animosity and without amnesty. Convictions run deep in this Capitol when it comes to immigration. Let us have a serious, civil, and conclusive debate, so that you can pass, and I can sign, comprehensive immigration reform into law."

GOD, WHAT A SWEET AND BEAUTIFUL SPEECH!!!!!!!!

American Pie (Don McLean / 1971)
    "A long, long time ago I can still remember how that music used to make me smile and I knew if I had my chance that I could make those people dance and maybe they'd be happy for a while but February made me shiver with every paper I delivered, bad news on the door step, I couldn't take one more step, I can't remember if I cried when I read about his widowed bride but something touched me deep inside, the day, the music, died. So...
    CHORUS
    Bye, bye Miss American Pie drove my Chevy to the levy but the levy was dry an them good ol' boys were drinkin whiskey and rye singin this will be the day that I die, this will be the day that I die.

Did you write the book of love and do you have faith in God above, if the bible tells you so, and do you believe in rock n' roll, can music save your mortal soul and can you teach me how to dance real slow? Well I know that you're in love with him cuz I saw you dancin in the gym you both kicked off your shoes and I dig those rhythm and blues. I was a lonely teenage bronkin buck with a pink carnation and a pick up truck but I knew I was out of luck, the day, the music, died. I started singin...

Chorus
    ...etc., etc., etc..."

GOD, IT KEEPS RINGING IN MY EARS FOR MORE THAN 30 YEARS NOW... WHAT A BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL SONG!!! WHAT A SWEET, SWEET POETRY!!!

THANK YOU, AMERICA.

From President Bush's State of the Union speech, Jan. 23, 2007: "Extending hope and opportunity in our country requires an immigration system worthy of America - with laws that are fair and borders that are secure. When laws and borders are routinely violated, this harms the interests of our country. To secure our border, we're doubling the size of the Border Patrol, and funding new infrastructure and technology. Yet even with all these steps, we cannot fully secure the border unless we take pressure off the border - and that requires a temporary worker program. We should establish a legal and orderly path for foreign workers to enter our country to work on a temporary basis. As a result, they won't have to try to sneak in, and that will leave Border Agents free to chase down drug smugglers and criminals and terrorists. We'll enforce our immigration laws at the work site and give employers the tools to verify the legal status of their workers, so there's no excuse left for violating the law. We need to uphold the great tradition of the melting pot that welcomes and assimilates new arrivals. We need to resolve the status of the illegal immigrants who are already in our country without animosity and without amnesty. Convictions run deep in this Capitol when it comes to immigration. Let us have a serious, civil, and conclusive debate, so that you can pass, and I can sign, comprehensive immigration reform into law."

GOD, WHAT A SWEET AND BEAUTIFUL SPEECH!!!!!!!!

American Pie (Don McLean / 1971)
    "A long, long time ago I can still remember how that music used to make me smile and I knew if I had my chance that I could make those people dance and maybe they'd be happy for a while but February made me shiver with every paper I delivered, bad news on the door step, I couldn't take one more step, I can't remember if I cried when I read about his widowed bride but something touched me deep inside, the day, the music, died. So...
    CHORUS
    Bye, bye Miss American Pie drove my Chevy to the levy but the levy was dry an them good ol' boys were drinkin whiskey and rye singin this will be the day that I die, this will be the day that I die.

Did you write the book of love and do you have faith in God above, if the bible tells you so, and do you believe in rock n' roll, can music save your mortal soul and can you teach me how to dance real slow? Well I know that you're in love with him cuz I saw you dancin in the gym you both kicked off your shoes and I dig those rhythm and blues. I was a lonely teenage bronkin buck with a pink carnation and a pick up truck but I knew I was out of luck, the day, the music, died. I started singin...

Chorus
    ...etc., etc., etc..."

GOD, IT KEEPS RINGING IN MY EARS FOR MORE THAN 30 YEARS NOW... WHAT A BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL SONG!!! WHAT A SWEET, SWEET POETRY!!!

THANK YOU, AMERICA.

Comment

Don't be too happy about what he said. I do not trust this president any more than I trust this congress. These people say one thing and then do another.

Remember, this is the president who allowed the patriot act to become law. This is the president whose immigration, customs & enforcement organization is overseeing mass deportations regardless of how it affects families. This is the president who wants you to be afraid of Arabs because most people of Arab descent are Muslims and Muslims are "evil".

I don't want this president to sign into law some immigration band aid. And Guest workers do not really take into account family situations either. Do you really think that the current government cares about your family members? Do you really think they care about you? Having the current government sign into law some immigration reform is like wishing for a tooth ache.

And finally, you just have to think that people like someone12 more than likely voted for this president. Or like the current administrations tough tone on people out of status. Comments like "dirtbag illegals" and such are the type of things close minded people would say. How many people do you know that have an honest open mind would call people dirt bag illegals? The people out of status are not objects, they are human beings.

So be careful of what you wish for, you just might get it.

This whole issue is like Social Security, the third rail of politics. No one wants to touch it. And that's a real shame, this country right now needs allies, not more enemies. But that's all the government is doing, making more enemies. Those people south of the border are not your enemies, they are just poor.

The people who spout off saying deport all of them are the same type of people who were wrong about the Irish, wrong about the Chinese and now, today in this present time period, their wrong about the Latinos.

Better to wait for 08 and a completely new administration. The rest of the republican congressman and senators are up for reelection then too. Then maybe we can get real change in a positive way and not negative. Because the immigration system today is completely broken and does not take into account families, low wage labor, among other issues.

I don't really trust the democrats that much either but we need to fix this problem. People are being hurt by it on all sides of the borders. We need a completely new system, not some band aid and to do that we need real discussions on this.

Comment

It'd be unfair to blame the President, the current immigration situation is the cumulative result of years of failed legislation, amendments and patches designed with little consideration of their real impact upon families, immigrants and the applicability of the law itself.

Immigration law has been amended over and over again, some measures being the result of rushed legislation with little meaningful debate. The result is evident. Just today, some immigration measures were proposed as additions to the minimum wage package, and they will be debated in the context of that particular bill and not in the larger context of immigration reform where their impact can debated and measured against other provisions and chapters of the Act.

The real impact of immigration law cannot be measured in dollar figures, or inmate counts; it's the real lives of real people, including many U.S. citizens, that make immigration law a delicate, complicated and critical statute meriting careful and paused debate. Reducing this law to amendatory language is damaging, not to mention potentially dangerous.

President Bush just called for real reform, not punctual amendments and patches. Instead of a serious debate the approach of some in Congress seems to be in the form of small enforcement-only amendments; more of the same legislation will only produce more of the same results.

Congress, as a whole, knows better and can do much better, the question is, will they take upon the challenge?

Comment

Pres. Ronald Reagan upon signing the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, said: "We have consistently supported a legalization program which is both generous to the alien and fair to the countless thousands of people throughout the world who seek legally to come to America. The legalization provisions in this act will go far to improve the lives of a class of individuals who now must hide in the shadows, without access to many of the benefits of a free and open society. Very soon many of these men and women will be able to step into the sunlight and, ultimately, if they choose, they may become Americans."

IT WAS TRUE THEN. IT'S TRUE NOW. IT WILL BE TRUE IN THE FUTURE.

Comment

The illegal immigration problem is the product of a restrictionist, unrealistic approach to immigration. This is a legal problem that has resulted in masses of illegal immigrants "living in the shadows". Any legalization program, by itself, is not going to solve the problem, only a meaningful change in the law will. The illegal immigrant population is only the result, not the cause, of the problem.

Say you see a water stain on your wall. You may chose to paint over it, make it go away, but the stain will come back in a few days. You may convince yourself that there's no water leak, but the stain will come back. You can tell your friends that it's somebody else's fault, but the stain will come back. You need to swallow your pride and fix the pipes, and after that, you may paint over the stain.

The immigration problem is no different, you have a broken, illogical approach to immigration that has resulted in millions of illegal immigrants. A legalization program alone is not going to resolve the problem, it'll only make it disappear "for a while". Only meaningful and substantial change will actually resolve a situation that has resulted in exploitation, degradation, human trafficking and hardships for aliens and citizens during the last 20 years. Legalization is only "part" of the solution.

Comment

I think you what we have is a watered-down apathetic approach to citizenship. It used to be that the point of immigration was that you wanted to encourage acclimation and contribution to the country's culture and society.

Now it has become a form of membership where priviliges are partioned off for a fee. Indeed many people a perfecty happy (and the number is growing based on recent statistics) with just a green card. They have no desire to abandon their previous citizenship. Instead they want to maximize their options.

Regardless of how other countries act the U.S. is behaving as if an open border philosphy will merely put us in harmony with the policies of other countries. I guess they just turn a blind eye to the restrive policies Mexico imposes on immigration to its own country. I guess the militancy that exists on the southern border of Mexico is just something that can be ignored.

To those who believe in a one world globalization philosophy this make perfect sense. To those who understand the ramifications of such a philosophy it is frightening.

Comment

I can't tell the future, and I remember what happened to those who thought they could.

Many in the House and Senate have expressed their intent to conduct serious and meaningful reform. There's also certain cells in both the House and the Senate who are opposed to any sort of meaningful change; and we all know who they are. In the House, the new chairman of the Judiciary has repeatedly introduced legislation calling for immigration reform. His counterpart in the Senate is committed to the protection of fairness and liberty, above and beyond the context of immigration.

I would simply say that the last ten years clearly show the result of the current enforcement-only approach. The facts are undisputed and the cases of abuse and degradation plenty and documented. The call of reform has been made at all levels and the urgency is extreme. To continue with such approach is to accept its consequences, to accept that illegal immigration is here to stay promoted through legislation that fails to address the real issues behind the problem.

Congress is capable of producing great legislation, but it remains to be seen if they're willing to seriously take upon this challenge.

Comment

how about a different refrain...?

bye bye Mr Illegal guy....drive your chebbie to the border and then wave us goodbye...and them bad ole boys were scamming visas oh my....oh this will be the day that you leave....oh this'll be the day that you leave....

Comment

IP: got 140 IQ, veteran, management job that can't be outsourced, business administration educational background... don't be rude, Miss, what do you mean "free time?????"

Comment

at least I don't keep cutting and pasting the same idiotic quote because I cannot think of an original reply...

how about...

"the lunacy of supporting illegal immigration is to be willing to live with diseased-ridden dirt***** while watching wages decline, schools filling up with leprosy-infected brats of illegals and hospitals turning away American taxpayers because the illegals have drained away the financial resources of the medical industry while our cities become overcrowded petrie dishes for TB and our highways become littered with auto wrecks caused by illegal alien scumbags that walk away from the carnage they created.."

Comment

IP: daaaaa? get closer... how 'bout Rosie?

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JDA:
                          This is the president whose immigration, customs & enforcement organization is overseeing mass deportations regardless of how it affects families. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I really couldn't get past this. It's too bad that we have such an unfair legal system that imprisons convicted criminals and deports illegal immigrants, regardless of what it does to their families.

Poor fellas. Let's bust open the prisons and let the illegal immigrants stay so everyone can be happy!

Sorry, what's the HTML for sarcasm?

Comment

once again Iperson demonstrates her lack of basic understanding of our laws.....illegal is the RIGHT word, because they are not in the US LEGALLY, ergo, they are here illegally.
                            They are ILLEGAL ALIENS and ILLEGAL IMMGRANTS, not 'undocumented' as so many wimps like to refer to them as....

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by iperson:
                              <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">IP: daaaaa? get closer... how 'bout Rosie? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Either one of the two for sure.

Enjerth- commonly made mistake- illegals are not criminals. Illegal is the wrong word, the proper one undocumented. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Commonly made mistake, I didn't say they were criminals. I was just comparing them to their lawless cousin, the convict.

Nonsense. Criminal is a class of lawlessness. I've heard the argument that they are not criminals. Even though they may not be criminals (until they commit forgery, identity theft or other common crime committed by illegal immigrants) their unlawful entry and/or overstay makes them illegally present. Hence, illegal immigrants (or substitute your favored noun, but illegal non-the-less).

But if you want to argue about how enforcing immigration law hurts the families, the same argument can be made against imprisoning criminals.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation