Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canada -> USA no documentation professional student

Please read the following information thoroughly. I'm trying to help a good friend out here in the states that's stuck in a hard situation.

His family (Canadian) moved to the US around 1989. Their son, pre-school age at the time, enrolled in school and continued on up through high school. They didn't plan on staying for more than half a year, but things changed, business went well and they decided to stay..without a change of status.

Everyone in the family has a SSN that says "Not Valid for Employment." The daughter has married a US citizen and will be sponsoring her parents in a year, unfortunately my friend is now in his mid twenties and would have to wait for his parents to sponsor him, roughly taking another 5 years.

My friend is in school. He's already received his bachelors from a University and is enrolled in pharmacy school. He is not on a student visa.

He says its too risky now to apply for a student visa in Canada, and wants to avoid that as a whole.

Is there any way possible for him to become naturalized? Or even receive a work permit so he can work, without getting in trouble? Can he get by during the summers using his SSN?

He does not want to move back to Canada.

Please read the following information thoroughly. I'm trying to help a good friend out here in the states that's stuck in a hard situation.

His family (Canadian) moved to the US around 1989. Their son, pre-school age at the time, enrolled in school and continued on up through high school. They didn't plan on staying for more than half a year, but things changed, business went well and they decided to stay..without a change of status.

Everyone in the family has a SSN that says "Not Valid for Employment." The daughter has married a US citizen and will be sponsoring her parents in a year, unfortunately my friend is now in his mid twenties and would have to wait for his parents to sponsor him, roughly taking another 5 years.

My friend is in school. He's already received his bachelors from a University and is enrolled in pharmacy school. He is not on a student visa.

He says its too risky now to apply for a student visa in Canada, and wants to avoid that as a whole.

Is there any way possible for him to become naturalized? Or even receive a work permit so he can work, without getting in trouble? Can he get by during the summers using his SSN?

He does not want to move back to Canada.

Comment

Hi chunkymonkey and welcome to the forum

I just wanted to welcome you and say that due to the election many members that can help you with some answers may not be online just yet. Be sure to check back later or tomorrow if you get no replies, I am sure some knowledgeable members will help you here soon.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      God Bless America - God Bless Immigrants - God Bless Poor Misguided Souls Too

National Domestic Violence Hotline:
      1.800.799.SAFE (7233) 1.800.787.

Comment

Come Back On the 6th Of November! the world Stands Still Until final notice! Nothing personal! today Is Not The Best Day To seek Answers!!!! ELECTION, Etc.
        USC and Legal, Honest Immigrant Alike Must Fight Against Those That Deceive and Disrupt A Place Of Desirability! All Are Victims of Fraud, Both USC and Honest Immigrant Alike! The bad can and does make it more difficult for the good! Be careful who y

Comment

He needs a USC Girlfriend.

If he leaves he will have a 10 year ban, so for that matter will his Parents, so not an easy deal for them.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Theone:
            He needs a USC Girlfriend.

If he leaves he will have a 10 year ban, so for that matter will his Parents, so not an easy deal for them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

usc girlfriend can not do anything for him. He needs to have a usc wife .

Comment

lol

Comment

Thanks for the help.

Why will he be faced with a 10 year ban? Is it not possible for him to be granted a work visa?

Comment

well, when one overstays in the USA by 6+ months and leaves, he/she is banned from returning for 3 (overstay &lt; 1 year) or 10 years (overstay &gt;10 years).

Has anybody ever petitioned the family before (relative, employer)?

Your friend can NOT change status within the USA since he has no status to change from. He can adjust status only if petitioned by immediate family (USC spouse).

Now, his parents will become legal permanent residents in 1,5-2 years. One of them can then sponsor him. But again, he wouldn't be able to adjust status in the USA since he wouldn't have legal status and wouldn't be considered "immediate family" for immigration purpose. The only way he can adjust status is if there is a waiver approved (I have to double check if it would be available). By waiver, I mean he should prove that his parents would suffer extreme harship if he can't stay in the USA.

There is one more way: cancellation of removal

Basicly, he reports himself and then asks for cancellation of removal. That would work only if he can prove that his removal/deportation would cause EXCEPTIONAL and EXTREMELY UNUSUAL HARDSHIP to parent (or child, spouse) who is a US citizen or permanent resident.

Comment

He should see a good immigration lawyer who is willing to do the research and work for him.. As a Canadian, a visa was not needed to enter the country (and there is rarely documentation because you did not need a passport either. You also do not need a visa to go to school - even University.(Check the Dept of State website - it is there). Someone applied for something is they have SSN # (even if it says not valid for work) so your friend needs a lawyer. Somewhere I saw information about situations like this. Maybe he could apply under the 245i section if he can prove he was here on April 30 2001. He needs to continue going to school.

Comment

First, your "friend's" sister cannot sponsor her parents until she becomes a USC. She cannot become a USC until she has been an LPR for three years if married to a USC. So none one is going anywhere soon, much less a spouse who has a 10 year ban as well.

Comment

Sodium Hypochlorite

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs