• Show
Clear All

• NeedHelpFast
    replied
    I agree with Theone.

Leave a comment:

• Theone
    replied
    A re-entry permit is only useful if he is maintaing US Residency, its not a golden bullet.

Leave a comment:

• Theone
    replied
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mike_2007:
    i just dont understand why do u wanna give up ur status???????dont,,,just get a reentery permint ,,,ur making a big mistake,,at least in my openion </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

To be a US PR you have to have the US as your residency, pay Taxes etc etc.

You can theoretically lose it in a day, or keep it for many years whilst being outside the US.

Each case is very specific, not many Immigration Lawyers are fully up to speed on this. It is fairly easy to say where both ends are, difficult to say where the crossover is.

There are 194 or so countries in the world, USA is just one of them.

Leave a comment:

• althea
    replied
    TNX ANERI, I REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR HELP.
    GOD BLESS ALWAYS ! WHERE IN US ARE YOU NOW ?

Leave a comment:

• aneri
    replied
    a window, counter, room or seperate line... I meant to say that, in some countries, it hapens often enough that a PR abandons GC for the consulates to designate a "space" for that purpose.

When you decide you no longer want to be PR in USA, you go to the consulate, fill out the form and return your GC.

GC is to live in the USA. Visitor visa is to visit. Can you do both at the same time? As I see it, one is either living in the USA or visiting the USA... can do both at the same time.

In one way, by applying for a visitor (tourist) visa, you are saying you are not living and have no intention of living in the USA. That would mean you are abandoning your GC at that time.

Leave a comment:

• althea
    replied
    Aneri , what is the window for returning GC? do you have any idea what is the use of it? can a GC holder qualify to apply for a visit visa?

Leave a comment:

• althea
    replied
    Aneri, can you explain the window for returning GC ? is it ok , to apply for visit visa even if i have a GC?

Leave a comment:

• Rough Neighbor
    replied
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by aneri:
    ... <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rough Neighbor
    ...and impossible to imagine that anyone would ever do that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> I've been to the consulates where they have 3 windows: "non-immigration", "immigration" and "returning GC". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, aneri, I agree with you, there is really that section. My statement was just very sweeping, though it wasn't meant to be. I supposedly meant that GC holders like the OP who want to surrender their cards are very, very few especially if she's from the Philippines.

One celebrated case there of doing so was the Paredes family. It was in 1986. I was very young then, so I just heard and read it to have happened. The family now live in Australia.

Leave a comment:

• aneri
    replied
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by althea:
    i just got mg GC am i qualify for re-entry permit? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    You can always apply and see if you get one. If you do, at least you'll have an option and some time (2 years) to see how the things develop in your home contry... If and when you know that for sure you wan't be coming back, you can always surender Re-entry permit and GC at the local ambassy and ask for tourist visa instead.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rough Neighbor
    ...and impossible to imagine that anyone would ever do that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> I've been to the consulates where they have 3 windows: "non-immigration", "immigration" and "returning GC".

Leave a comment:

• Rough Neighbor
    replied
    "Many people?" make it "few people" to be more accurate and realistic. And say that most of these few did not "voluntarily abandon" their green cards.

Leave a comment:

• Theone
    replied
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rough Neighbor:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Theone:
    If you abandon your GC Status you can apply for a Visitors Visa.

Imposible to say whether you would get one, depends on your individual circumstances. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

... and impossible to imagine that anyone would ever do that.

Althea, what you're feeling now is just temporary. Give yourself a chance to imbibe your actual situation. Look beyond yourself.

I'm telling you, lots and lots of people are doing everything just to attain the exact same stage that you're at now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why?

I have come across many people who have done this.

And have subsequently visited the US.

Actually I thought I might be in a similar position a year ago, might still happen.

Leave a comment:

• Rough Neighbor
    replied
    Ask mike.

Leave a comment:

• althea
    replied
    i just got mg GC am i qualify for re-entry permit?

Leave a comment:

• Rough Neighbor
    replied
    As they say, everyday is a new day, and what a way to start it this Thursday morning!

You don't want any obligation from the US government that you stay here for a long time, just to keep your status; instead you want to stay where you want, give it up, and apply for a tourist visa? Wow!

The US government doesn't have any obligation to abide by your own life pattern.

Okay, give up your permanent residency, the sooner the better, and apply for a tourist visa once you're back to your country.

But please, get back to us and give us the update after three months. We'll be waiting.

Leave a comment:

• althea
    replied
    Rough Neighbor , tnx may be your right but im still confuse, ill give it a try , im homesick sobbb, if ever i would like to ask what are the qualification for re-entry permit, i dont have a job right now , am i qualify for re-entry permit ? TNX again i realy appreciate it.

Leave a comment:

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation