Free Healthcare Means........

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brit, it's a 43 second clip. Only a fraction of her speech. I didn't see the whole thing so I don't know if she talked about an actual plan during that speech, and neither do you. Jumping on it and blowing that one piece out of proportion is akin to the birthers jumping up and down about Mrs Obama's gaffe regarding her husband's "home country".

Undoubtedly though, as a potential republican candidate, she'll be towing the party line and promoting their plan. In all honesty, I'd like to hear more from all the potential candidates here. There are a couple that look good on paper, but we haven't heard enough about them to judge.
    The whole of life is but a moment of time. It is our duty, therefore to use it, not to misuse it - Plutarch

Comment

The trouble is to me at least is she is setting herself up as a serious contender yet comes up with a silly statement as she did. It's hard to take her seriously. Very much like Palin and her interviews in the run up to the election last year. If I were a potential Republican voter in NM, I'd have to be thinking twice. Harry Reid may not be popular but at least he can talk seriously. Like it or not, she'll be remembered for that interview.
      "What you see in the photograph isn't what you saw at the time. The real skill of photography is organized visual lying."

Comment

Just doing a search on Sue Lowden reveals the TV interview wasn't the first time she floated the "chickens for healthcare" idea. That actually happened a couple of weeks ago. Either her or her campaign advisers obviously seem to think they might be on to a winner here Maybe she has the same advisers McCain had?

As they say on this website "kudos to Lowden for sticking by what she believes, come what may"... however...It looks like she's increasingly becoming the butt of jokes. This is not a good thing for fighting an election.

theplumline.whorunsgov.com
        "What you see in the photograph isn't what you saw at the time. The real skill of photography is organized visual lying."

Comment

The "chickens for healthcare" tagline is nothing more than spin-doctoring, Brit, but I've already made my point on that.

As for Reid talking seriously, that's probably the least serious thing you've ever said, but it also proves my point on opposition vs your side. Reid's made more gaffes in his career than Lowden has made in hers. The difference? The left white-washed over each and every one. Smelly tourists in DC? Oh, he didn't mean that! Light-skinned negro that talks just like a white man? Meant to be a compliment! It's ridiculous. Though maybe the biggest point is that the right need to hire the Dem spin doctors...
          The whole of life is but a moment of time. It is our duty, therefore to use it, not to misuse it - Plutarch

Comment

So will Lowden at the rate she's going LOL

Ok so in fairness that is ILWs trademark (LOL), I found a piece on Lowden sort of supporting her view from the WSJ . Hardly a left wing rag. But take a look at the comments. Most are not taking it very seriously if at all. These are likely Republican readers.

I still say this is not a long term solution. I'd like to see what her views on that are if she can tear herself away from chickens and goats for a moment.

Comment

Actually, the goat was Reid's doing. His staff turned up at her office with a chicken and a goat. Pretty childish, IMO, as is their helping people to bombard her email as detailed in the link you posted.

The right probably aren't taking too seriously because it's nothing more than a molehill being turned in to a mountain. They also know that bartering and haggling in health care does take place. I agree that it's not ideal and no, not the best long term situation, but in the meantime it's a viable option and not something people should avoid simply because they "shouldn't have to". As for the comments, well, it's hard to tell. Most of the ones I read have mostly comments from the opposition. It's bizarre. LOL.

Regardless, Lowden's not confirmed as the contender yet. There are a couple of others with their hat in the ring so if this is really going to hurt her, then it will. As of this moment, it hasn't. She's still polling higher than Reid and if anything, more Republicans (and all the others here that are just plain sick of Reid) now know her name more than any of the other potential candidates. You and I both know it's not always about the person or the politics, but the branding and name-recognition.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">You and I both know it's not always about the person or the politics, but the branding and name-recognition. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which is why Palin left politics to concentrate on making more money! Not exactly a winning political strategy but oh yes, I forgot, she's marketing herself as a "maverick" so that's ok. I'm sure she'll run in 2012 but what will she have to offer by way of experience other than turning up at meetings and being the favorite cheerleader?

Sue Lowden would stand a better chance than her!

Comment

It's far too early to compare Lowden to Palin, though to be fair some of the things we remember most about the latter were also spin-doctoring - i.e. it was Tina Fey that said "I can see Russia from my house", not Palin. Not that what Palin actually said wasn't daft, but it wasn't exactly how it's remembered.

I admire Palin in a strange way - I think what she did, running for VP, putting up with all that stuff AND still going afterwards takes some guts (or a real break from reality. LOL). I'm not convinced she'll run in '12 and well, if she does, it'd be the best thing she could ever do for the left. I've said before I don't think she has a real political career ahead of her, but I think she has a big future as a political commentator. She'd certainly be more interesting to watch than the likes of Maddow and Beck. And ****, Brit ... we're all out to bring home the big bucks. Some of us just get luckier than others. LOL. If someone wanted to pay me thousands of dollars to stand in front of a group of people and say "You betcha!", I'd do it too!

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Aroha:
                    It's far too early to compare Lowden to Palin, though to be fair some of the things we remember most about the latter were also spin-doctoring - i.e. it was Tina Fey that said "I can see Russia from my house", not Palin. Not that what Palin actually said wasn't daft, but it wasn't exactly how it's remembered.

... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sarah Palin's interview quote earlier:

"GIBSON: What insight into Russian actions, particularly in the last couple of weeks, does the proximity of the state give you?

PALIN: They're our next door neighbors and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska."

Tina Fey's SNL spoof later:

Tina Fey dressed as Sarah Palin: "I CAN SEE RUSSIA FROM MY HOUSE!"

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">PALIN: They're our next door neighbors and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Couric: Well, explain to me why that enhances your foreign-policy credentials.
                      Palin:

Well, it certainly does, because our, our next-door neighbors are foreign countries, there in the state that I am the executive of. And there…

Roll on 2012

Comment

Except, it wasn't actually nonsense, Brit & RN. You can, in fact, see part of Russia from an island in Alaska. It's another island and not populated, but the two are only a couple of miles apart. Apparently, if it freezes in the winter, you can actually walk from Alaska to Russia! So there you go. Semantics, huh? What was most stupid about it was that she used that example as a foreign policy credential.

However, my point was that the "I can see Russia from my house!" line was not what Palin said, yet if you ask most people, it gets attributed to her, even by media that should know better. It may have started from a comedian, but it still got some serious spin.

Comment

Now what? I quoted things as they are without giving any opinion of my own, at least, this time around. One thing is certain: here or anywhere else, politics is unclean. And it's not meant for anybody who's faint-hearted. &lt;A general comment.&gt;

Comment

RN, I merely addressed you as well as Brit because you also quoted the interviews, obviously in response to my comment that Palin never really said you could see Russia from her house. Even then, all I did was clarify that what she actually said wasn't complete nonsense, even though the majority of people believe it to be thanks to the SNL skit and the way it was played up in the media.

I don't see a personal attack in there anywhere, or even any comment on your opinion (or lack thereof). Maybe you're indulging in a little spin-doctoring of your own. Would you like a chicken?

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation