Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• visitors visa to student visa?

hi, i'm in the US right now as a tourist but i would like to enroll this coming spring semester (jan 2006). i was told its possible, but extremely difficult, to obtain a change in status from tourist to student while i'm here in the US and that i should just go back to my home country and apply for a student visa there. also, it might take a while for my student visa application to be approved, and by then, my tourist visa would no longer be valid.
    any thougts on the matter? thanks!

hi, i'm in the US right now as a tourist but i would like to enroll this coming spring semester (jan 2006). i was told its possible, but extremely difficult, to obtain a change in status from tourist to student while i'm here in the US and that i should just go back to my home country and apply for a student visa there. also, it might take a while for my student visa application to be approved, and by then, my tourist visa would no longer be valid.
    any thougts on the matter? thanks!

Comment

Someone12, don't assume. Tell what you know, not what you think you know.

loopy, search the posts in this site, there are cases where AOS from B1/2 to F1 were performed successfully.

Be sure to keep your status valid all the way through.

ECS

Comment

i don't know what your problem is someone12. i was asking a question and was hoping that someone could give me their ideas on the matter, i certainly don't appreciate you telling me i'm a liar cause i'm not.

Comment

thanks ECS! will just check previous posts!

Comment

What college do you go in Las Vegas?

Comment

Loopy, my experience. I was here on a B1 Visa; I applied for an F1 and although the USCIS misunderstood the I-20 form (the one given by your college) so I had to explain the problem, I was granted for an F1 in about 3 months (Mesquite TX processing center). Of course I did not lie in all this process and I proved I had the financial support; you have to prove you can maintain yourself and pay for the college for at least 1 year. I hope my experience helps.

Comment

sona7881: Where are you from? and why you had to change your visa, why in the first place you have not apply for the student visa?
                Who will pay for your college fee?
                90% of the peoples try to come here on one or the other visa, and try to change the status, Any one who comes to US always have some one to support, brother, sister, parents, in-laws, who had already file the petitions for him and without misrepresenation you can never get the visa.
                Now you guys are giving or guiding the USCIS not to change the status of B-1/B-2, F-1,F-2, J-1/J-2, E,L and some other visas.
                I have printed the complete matter of these and will get to the bottom of this case through USCIS/BCIS, Policy Department. Why they have double standerd as well as the change of status should only be allowed to US Citizen Childern Married/unmarried, and Childern of LPR, only.
                No Student should be allowed to work out side of the college campus.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation