Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

the question about a divorce and citizenship.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the question about a divorce and citizenship.

Hi guys;

How are you?

i got my permanent green card based on marriage with the us citizen. But right now the marriage is not working out and now my wife and I are getting divorce.

It's almost been 5 years since i got my 1st conditional green card. Later my conditions were removed after having an interview of my wife and me. but now we're getting divorce. I'm planning to apply for the USC when it will be 4 years and 9 months of my 1st conditional PR.

Is it possible to apply for a citizenship after a divorce? Am i still going to be illegible to apply for a citizenship after a divorce?

Hi guys;

How are you?

i got my permanent green card based on marriage with the us citizen. But right now the marriage is not working out and now my wife and I are getting divorce.

It's almost been 5 years since i got my 1st conditional green card. Later my conditions were removed after having an interview of my wife and me. but now we're getting divorce. I'm planning to apply for the USC when it will be 4 years and 9 months of my 1st conditional PR.

Is it possible to apply for a citizenship after a divorce? Am i still going to be illegible to apply for a citizenship after a divorce?

Comment

Hi Sanjay2002,

If your conditions were removed, yes you can apply for citizenship after 4 years, 9 months when your green card was issued. Come back and tell us when this big event happens and lots of luck!

Comment

HI Sanjay, I am surprised you didn't apply for Citizenship before now, as you were legible at 2 yrs 9 months from your 1st GC issue date, based on marriage.

As you are going through divorce now then yes apply at 4 yrs 9 months as Proud mentioned, and divorce will not affect you applying now as you are not basing it on marriage.

Please be sure to fill in forms correctly though as if I am not wrong, if you apply and your divorce is not through yet, you have to check married at the question, as in theory you still are.
        If this is the case, when you go for interview you then tell the officer that you are now divorced, where they will update your file.

Good luck and let us know how you get on
        -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        God Bless America - God Bless Immigrants - God Bless Poor Misguided Souls Too

National Domestic Violence Hotline:
        1.800.799.SAFE (7233) 1.800.787.

Comment

Thanks Proud USC and Sprint_Girl07. i appreecite it! ok i'll let you know what happens after i file. Thank you!

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation