Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• detailed greencard information for married foreigners

Hello, I am new to this site and I am very happy to have found a place where my doubts may be finally cleared.
    I have been struggling get information about visas for spouses of American citizens.
    My husband and I have filed a petition to obtain a greencard,in order for me to be able to get a job in the States and live there. I am an Italian citizen and we are supposed to stay here in Italy for another 3 years.
    We filed the petion in April 2005. The embassy in Rome sent me a letter in early June telling me my petition was approved and forwarded to Naples, but before a greencard would be issued I had to wait for the American embassy to say the last word. Now I have been waiting for about 3 months and still no greencard.
    1) how long does it usually take to get a greencard here in Italy?
    2)what are the exact privilegies I get from a greencard?
    3)does it have an expiration date?
    4)does it give me the right to get a job in the States as if I were a lawful American citizen?
    5)does it give me the right to study in the States?
    Also, my husband and I got married in February 2003, after only 12 months we knew each other. Now we're realizing, after a year of hell together, that we may have made a mistake and we're considering separation. We've been living separated for 2 months now and I am thinkins that later on we might want to legalize our separation, making it legal. What would the consequences be for me?
    1)would I lose my greencard?
    2)would I be able to go to live to the States on my own and get a job?
    3)should I start filing for other kinds of immigration forms?
    I am considering to leave Italy in about one year, move to New York (state), and start a new life there, which means being able to get a job and continue my college studies. Would I be able to do it without him? You can't imagine how frustrated this situation makes me. I have no certainties in my life right now and all I want is just forgetting the hell I have been in and start my life again, running after my dreams. I am only 22 and I am not ready to sacrifice myself for another 2 years, like I have been. Please help me, I need all these information.

Hello, I am new to this site and I am very happy to have found a place where my doubts may be finally cleared.
    I have been struggling get information about visas for spouses of American citizens.
    My husband and I have filed a petition to obtain a greencard,in order for me to be able to get a job in the States and live there. I am an Italian citizen and we are supposed to stay here in Italy for another 3 years.
    We filed the petion in April 2005. The embassy in Rome sent me a letter in early June telling me my petition was approved and forwarded to Naples, but before a greencard would be issued I had to wait for the American embassy to say the last word. Now I have been waiting for about 3 months and still no greencard.
    1) how long does it usually take to get a greencard here in Italy?
    2)what are the exact privilegies I get from a greencard?
    3)does it have an expiration date?
    4)does it give me the right to get a job in the States as if I were a lawful American citizen?
    5)does it give me the right to study in the States?
    Also, my husband and I got married in February 2003, after only 12 months we knew each other. Now we're realizing, after a year of hell together, that we may have made a mistake and we're considering separation. We've been living separated for 2 months now and I am thinkins that later on we might want to legalize our separation, making it legal. What would the consequences be for me?
    1)would I lose my greencard?
    2)would I be able to go to live to the States on my own and get a job?
    3)should I start filing for other kinds of immigration forms?
    I am considering to leave Italy in about one year, move to New York (state), and start a new life there, which means being able to get a job and continue my college studies. Would I be able to do it without him? You can't imagine how frustrated this situation makes me. I have no certainties in my life right now and all I want is just forgetting the hell I have been in and start my life again, running after my dreams. I am only 22 and I am not ready to sacrifice myself for another 2 years, like I have been. Please help me, I need all these information.

Comment

Hi Jules,

Welcome. Let me first ask you what's your understanding about why a foreign born spouse of an US citizens can get a green card?

I'll try to answer some of your questions. It wasn't very clear from your post, but I assume what was approved by DHS in Rome was your husband's I-130 Petition for Alien relative. That only means that your husband, as US citizen, can bring his wife to the US. If the above assumption is correct, the approval is sent to the consulate in Naples (Napoli) which has jurisdiction over your place of residence. The next step is for the consulate to send you a set of forms and instructions called Packet 3. When you complete the forms and collect required documents, and return that to the consulate, you'll be called for the interview.

After a successful interview, one is granted an immigrant visa. Only after one enters the US with immigrant visa, will one receive a green card.

I don't know how long the process takes in Italy. Who moved out when you two separated? Has the consulate your current address? You can also always call them and ask what's going on.

If you divorce, you cannot get a green card based on your marriage.

Comment

thank you so much for your answer. I have already received a letter from Naples stating that the petition was accepted and that they were going to send a request to the States. They never mentioned anything about the Packet 3, so I don't have any idea of what that is. I would like to know how long the whole process is going to take. We are actually not talking about divorce right now, if anything we'll get legally separated, so that we'd still be married. So first I am supposed to get an immigrant visa, you said. What is that exactly and what kind of privileges does that give me?
        Do you advise me to start applying for another kind of visa, since I am planning on leaving Italy in about one year?

Comment

Once you have received the Immigrant Visa, you can go to U.S. (Initially you may have condiional residence for two years and after 2 years may be required to apply for removal of conditions). You can live in the U.S, you can work for any company, and in any capacity, you can sponsor green cards for your relatives and you can become a U.S. citizen once you have been a permanent resident for more than five years

Comment

Jules, let's figure out first where in the process of obtaining an immigrant visa you are.

What exactly the letter from Rome says? Can you take a look and let us know what term they used when they reffered to the approved petion?
            And the same for the letter that you received from Naples.

Comment

ok guys, thank you for your help. I actually called the consulate in Naples today and got it all figured. I am at the packet 3 right now and I am waiting for them to give me an appointment for the interview. I suppose what I am most concerned is if I will lose the visa if I get legally separated. Does anybody know for sure if I'll keep it or not? If you answer to this question, please be sure, because I am already confused. Also, does the visa give you the chance to get a job as an American inside a military base?

Comment

Throughout the process of obtaining an immigrant visa based on marriage to US citizen, the validity of the relationship is an important issue. And that goes beyond just a piece of paper that says that you two are married. Yes, there are people ( married to US citizens) being denied immigrant visas / green cards.

One is granted green card (based on marriage) to be able to live in the US with!! his/her US spouse.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation