Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• student visa work restrictions

if a student is attending college on a student visa can the student work during school year? also if he can't go home for summer and can't live on campus, can he work? if he can work,does he have to have a ss number?

if a student is attending college on a student visa can the student work during school year? also if he can't go home for summer and can't live on campus, can he work? if he can work,does he have to have a ss number?

Comment

F1 Students are generally not allowed to work. You can talk to the Director of International Students at your college to work on campus. They will only allow you to work 20hrs on campus and the pay is normally about $5 or $6. Not all colleges have work though. If you come from a country where there is a shortage of foreign currency and you are unable to pay your tuition you will be allowed to work. You will have to prove the shortage when you send your application for employment. The answers to your questions would be : If you have authorization, you can work during the school year and if not - NO. Having nowhere to go for summer is not a good reason to seek work authorization because they gave you that F1 with the understanding that you can afford tuition, room and board.

Comment

hi there chuck. i am an international student too. i work ON CAMPUS for 20 hours and was told i can work full time during the summer break. i do suggest that you look for employment on campus, because thats what we are allowed right now. just persevere, im sure you can have something. otherwise, try to have teaching assistant positions from your own department and it does pay a LOT more than the usual jobs on campus.
        i got my social security number from the school's request to socail security. SO TRY TO LOOK FOR ON CAMPUS jobs. otherwise, well, i really dont know. we dont want to get into trouble you know.

Comment

Oh and the SSN. You have to have one to work. Most students have them. The person who handles international students will help you with that. How long has this student been on this status? No bank account etc?????????

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation