X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green card expired...what to do

Dear friends
    I am in great trouble...my green card got expired 1 year and 3 months ago....

I got married to an US citizen four years ago ..on that basis we filed for the GC that was valid for 2 years. when we realized that my GC is expired (2-3 months later) we filed for the Citizenship in August (thinking that this is the next step but we did not know that we should have a valid GC to obtain Citizenship. we had no idea about the I-90 or I-751 form to renew the GC or remove the conditions on GC). INS returned the application saying that it is early so file it in September ..so we sent it again, i got my fingerprints done and recently i did recieved the date to have the oath for citizenship.

Now my problem is what should i do to get my status back....so that i can work and can travel abroad (I am expecting an important visit to my country)
    And how much time it may take......
    PLEASE HELP

Dear friends
    I am in great trouble...my green card got expired 1 year and 3 months ago....

I got married to an US citizen four years ago ..on that basis we filed for the GC that was valid for 2 years. when we realized that my GC is expired (2-3 months later) we filed for the Citizenship in August (thinking that this is the next step but we did not know that we should have a valid GC to obtain Citizenship. we had no idea about the I-90 or I-751 form to renew the GC or remove the conditions on GC). INS returned the application saying that it is early so file it in September ..so we sent it again, i got my fingerprints done and recently i did recieved the date to have the oath for citizenship.

Now my problem is what should i do to get my status back....so that i can work and can travel abroad (I am expecting an important visit to my country)
    And how much time it may take......
    PLEASE HELP

Comment

Are you kidding us or your self?

It's pratically impossible to recieve the conditional GC without knowing that you need to remove the condition.

If you explain your situation like this to the INS, they will send you home since it will show them that you are not honest.

Now, if for some reason you messed up and were not able to apply for the condition removal, that's a whole different story. I have no idea how you can resolve it, but I am sure there is a legal way to deal with it.

Dont think people are stupid. If you try to deceive them like this, you will just look ridiculus. Tell the truth and you will get good advice on this board.

Comment

1) You might want to double check with USCIS, but imo your temporary GC is now expired/abandoned/kapoot/fudgaaboutit
        2) If #1 hold true, then you're currently an illegal in the US due to abandonement of AOS.
        3) If #1 hold true, then submitting the N400 application will get you into more trouble, since you're now misrepresenting/lied to USCIS with regard to your current status./

My suggestion is to withdraw the N400 and restart the marriage based AOS process after confirming with USCIS that the temp GC has been revoked. You can apply for Advanced Parole & EAD at the same time which will allow you to work and travel outside US. Wait time for those 2 documents varies but shouldn't exceed several months at the most. The illegal status wil be forgiven due to marriage to USC.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation