Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Becoming a US Citizen.

My father became a US Citizen about 3 years ago at the time I was 15 years old, Now im 18. When he became a US Citizen my mother from the Dominican Republic had to sign some paper work in order for me to become a citizen, but she didnt she was afraid she might never see me again.But now that im 18 i would like to know if I can become a US citizen throught my father.Or if theres anything I can do about it..Can anyone help me please?

My father became a US Citizen about 3 years ago at the time I was 15 years old, Now im 18. When he became a US Citizen my mother from the Dominican Republic had to sign some paper work in order for me to become a citizen, but she didnt she was afraid she might never see me again.But now that im 18 i would like to know if I can become a US citizen throught my father.Or if theres anything I can do about it..Can anyone help me please?

Comment

Your father can sponsor you for a green card now. Earlier, you would have gotten citizenship automatically when he naturalized if you were under 18 and in his custody.

Comment

I ALREADY HAVE MY GREEN CARD. AND I WANT TO BECOME A USC. THATS WHY I WANTED TO KNOW IF THERES SOMETHING THAT HE CAN DO?

Comment

Probably not. (I'm not a lawyer, so am hedging on this.) It's up to you now to go through the process and wait. Why the urgency for U.S. citizenship if you already have a green card?

Comment

ANOTHER THING. I WAS NOT UNDER MY FATHER'S CUSTODY WHEN HE BECAME A USC, THAT'S WHY MY MOTHER HAD TO SIGNED SOME PAPER WORK BUT SHE DIDNT BECAUSE SHE DID NOT WANT TO GIVE MY CUSTODY TO MY FATHER. SO i WANT TO KNOW IF THERES A PROBLEM WITH THAT?

Comment

A USC IS BETTER THEN A GREEN CARD. SPECIALLY FOR COLLEGE STUDENTS. I WANT TO KNOW IF THERE'S SOMETHING I CAN DO?

Comment

Again, no. If you have a green card, you just have to go through the process of waiting and filing for naturalization when you're eligible. In fact, you may be eligible now, if you've had your green card long enough, although I'm not sure if you need to be 18 or 21. Also, how did you get your green card? Your father's sponsorship, or some other?

I just checked--you can apply at age 18. See the following link.http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/services/natz/index.htm

Comment

You can simply apply if you meet the criteria. Go to USCIS website and go to Forms. Download the N-400 form and guidelines. If you meet the guidelines and havethe money, you can apply.

You can - as AliBa says, apply at 18.

Comment

There is no difference between a greencard and USC in education, except for some rare scholarships that may require citizenship.

Go ahead and apply to become USC when you have had your greencard for 4 years and 9 months.

Comment

ok thank you every one for the answers

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs