Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I was adopted when i was 5 in 1987 am i a citizen?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was adopted when i was 5 in 1987 am i a citizen?

hi anyone who can answer this i would be very gratefull.. i was adopted from korea when iwas 5 and that was in 1987 and right now i am 26... did i become a citizen when iw as adopted way back then... my parents were us citizens.... thank you

hi anyone who can answer this i would be very gratefull.. i was adopted from korea when iwas 5 and that was in 1987 and right now i am 26... did i become a citizen when iw as adopted way back then... my parents were us citizens.... thank you

Comment

@i was adopted: my assumption is yes, you are a US citizen if the parents were USC at a time of your adoption. But then, I'm not 100% sure, because earlier someone had a link somewhere how naturatlization law has been changed a lot, and depends on what were the exact laws in 1987. Good luck! (anyong~)
      Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there.

Comment

Do not listen to anyone else but me on this forum. You are not a citizen. Your parents need to file a petition for alien relative if not done so already. If they did not do this when they adopted you, they are idiots. Once you are a permanent resident, you have to wait a few years to naturalize.

Comment

yeah, SonofMichael is right! Here's what I have just found (on USCIS's site):

There are two legal ways to bring an adopted child into the country. Please review the differences, as they are important to your successful adoption.

Immigration/Adoption of child based on 2-years residence through submitting Form I-130: If you adopt a child before the child turns 16 (or 18, as described below), and you live with the child for two years as the child's primary caregiver, then you may file an I-130 petition for an alien relative. The petition may be filed after the 16th (or 18th if a sibling) birthday, and the two years may culminate after the 16th (or 18th) birthday. (Please note that, generally, all qualifying criteria must be established BEFORE the child may enter the U.S.)
          Immigration/Adoption of an orphan through submitting Form I-600: If you adopt or intend to adopt a child who meets the legal definition of an orphan, you may petition for that child at any time prior to the child's 16th (or 18th, as described below) birthday, even if the adoption takes place subsequently (and in certain cases, the adoption does not occur until the child comes to the U.S.).

~j.
          Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there.

Comment

Sonofmichael is always right

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs