Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "battered spouse . WAVA as the last ditch option to staying here

Does the CIS actually investigate "battered spouse" petitions? or just grant it (even without police reports?)
    How does one share the family court rulings on abuse allegations with the CIS?
    How long does the CIS take to grant said petition?

Does the CIS actually investigate "battered spouse" petitions? or just grant it (even without police reports?)
    How does one share the family court rulings on abuse allegations with the CIS?
    How long does the CIS take to grant said petition?

Comment

Normally, CIS doesn't "actually" investigate (in person, if that's what you mean) immigration benefit applications or petitions that they receive, VAWA cases included. I think it's mathematically impossible much as they want to or have to. But VAWA itself has been receiving so much incremental changes procedurally in the last couple of years to accommodate wider beneficiaries such as those with removal orders and trafficking victims.

A police report is one of the strongest documentary evidence to establish abuse, although it's not a single must-have document to be attached to Form I-360. Affidavits by disinterested persons, court documents (e.g.TROs), doctor's diagnoses, media coverage, and so on and so forth, can help to establish a prima facie case against the USC or LPR abuser that can work in the self-petitioning victims' favor.

A VAWA case just like any other immigration benefit application is discretionary depending on the weight of evidence submitted to overcome the burden of proof. If the claim is highly convincing, favorable adjudication time could last only in a matter of four to six months.

Comment

The situation is that she kidnapped the child and went to a shelter. Her TRO was denied by the court. There was a police report of child abuse that was showed that it was her false allegation.
        There are affidavits from neighbours and the pre-school that she was not physically or mentally abused; this will be on record at the custody hearing in early August.
        what would it do to her VAWA application is if the family court session transcript which shows that she if abusing VAWA to stay in the country wound up with the USCIS?

Comment

Mike, wait a minute, I responded in the context of the question. Because the spirit of the OP's concern is if the USCIS will "actually" investigate the veracity of the abuse, that's why I responded accordingly along the same premise. Of course, the same matter can't be treated as the same and equal to the routine "background check" of each and every immigration benefit applicant so much so after the events of 9/11. I hope you get what I mean.

Comment

Mike, now I saw the point where you're confused, but sorry I'll answer Klinus first and I'll get back to you afterwards.

Klinus, based on your posts here's how I read the situation (correct me if I'm wrong). You're the father, a USC, and your alien wife kidnapped your child and she filed a TRO to deny you any access to your child, and she's claiming that you're abusing her physically and mentally. She's filing an I-360 under VAWA to gain immigration benefit. Am I right in my reading?

Comment

Mike::

Yes, I am the USC father. She filed a TRo which was DENIED. I expect that she will claim physical and mental, I have depositions that will rubbish her allegations - in family court.

If she waited till the final divorce decree, which being a contested custody case could take 3 years (at least I can do that0 during which time she will be out of status. further since her status is unknown, I will ask and for (and probably recieve) full custody, with, according to CA Family Code 3048 her having only supervised visitation. That is why I suspect that she will try to file a 360.
              How will the Vermont Service Center react to the Family court transcripts (which include at least 50 neighbors who are royally pissed off at her kidnapping the kid and making him live ina shelter for a month)

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mike_2007:
                i do,,thnx,,but this is the part that i got at the beggening,,bubt what iam saying is ,,if its ganna hurt if u have a previous issue with the immigration and like i said it was dissmesed and waived by both the judge and the immigration? thats my question ,,is it ganna hurt to get it proved ,,or after it gets to the embassy? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mike, here's the point, I'll distinguish the two cases by form.

Klinus' question is about I-360 under VAWA, will CIS investigate if the applicant is actually abused? Yes, but only through documentary evidence.

For your part about I-130, will the CIS investigate your relationship with your petitioner? Yes, but through marriage or birth certificates only.

But both alien applicants for both application/petition will be background checked by the USCIS.

Regarding your question about a "previous issue" with immigration and it's possible effects on a pending I-130, it's details should be assessed and scrutinized by an immigration practitioner who can give you a clearer scenario and who can recommend the best relief possible.

Comment

What documentation? There are three police reports the first that happened when she called the cops after I cut up her (my) credit card, the secodn when she broke open my study door and made an "unfounded" child abuse claim and third when she kidnapped the child. Everybody who knows the two of us have testfied that she is, well, a little nuts. Importantly that includes three people who saw her and talked to her just before she left for the shelter.
                  Unless she lies....

Comment

If as you claim her abuse allegation is unfounded, then her I-360 will be denied. But it's up to the USCIS to make such a determination based on the merits of the documentary evidence that she will provide. You know, she may also seek assistance from the "shelter" to advance her own side of the story, and of course you cannot deny her an equal protection of the law that she is likewise entitled to like yourself. But all in all, it's very difficult when only your side of the picture is out in the open. Sorry.

Comment

Mike:

One more question: is the only way that she can get a waiver before the divorce decree is vAWA?

The reason that I ask the question is that we would have established by August that there was no mental or physical abuse; if she suddenly says that she had authorization to stay we would ask the court to conder her perjury in terms of a custody decision.

Honestly I don't care if she stays or goes; just stay away from my son, the damage to whom she has done will take years to repair...

Comment

Mike:

1) the shelter actually called the cops - which is highly unusual
                        2) my attorney came from the DA's office and will ensure that the gory details get to ICE from the DA's office

Comment

Just call me RN please, not Mike. I wouldn't have minded it if I was a man, but I'm not.

Pardon me, but this is going to be my last take on this thread.

I simply feel uncomfortable blabbering around without knowing her own version of the whole situation.

If you filed a petition before on her behalf and she's currently a conditional GC holder, she could file Form I-751 on her own 90 days before her GC second anniversary with documentary proof that your marriage was entered into in good faith, plus a divorce decree. Without a divorce decree, her I-751 will be denied.

Good luck, buddy.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by klinus:
                            Mike:

One more question: is the only way that she can get a waiver before the divorce decree is vAWA?

The reason that I ask the question is that we would have established by August that there was no mental or physical abuse; if she suddenly says that she had authorization to stay we would ask the court to conder her perjury in terms of a custody decision.

Honestly I don't care if she stays or goes; just stay away from my son, the damage to whom she has done will take years to repair... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
                            I am going to supplement Rough Neighbor here. There are other ways for her to get green card, but it depends on how she arrived in the country and how long she has resided in the US.

As for the VAWA claim, it will depend in the evidence she provides. Being denied a TRO may or may not help her case. If will not hurt her case either. For a TRO to be granted beyond the initial 14 day period, the court must decide whether you will harm her, seek retribution, or harass her in the future. If no indication is found, then the TRO will be denied. The court does not rule, generally, on the validity of the abuse claim. The court may use physical and/or emotional abuse as an indication, but that is as far as it goes.

Your divorce is strictly a state matter only and the court generally does not see any justification of her legal status, current or future, as subject unless a child is involved. And if the child is involved (assuming she is the natural mother), the court looks at what is in the best interest of the child. That may not include you or her, for that matter. The court may award you physical custody, but both of you will have joint custody. If you have joint custody where she can visit the child, you must oblige under the decree of the court. If you don't, you will be in contempt of the court and the court may remove you as legal guardian. It is not in their jurisdiction. Additionally, claiming perjury will also be dubious unless you can show from her testimony that she did lie in the TRO case.
                            "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams on Defense of the boston Massacre

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by klinus:
                              Mike:

1) the shelter actually called the cops - which is highly unusual
                              2) my attorney came from the DA's office and will ensure that the gory details get to ICE from the DA's office </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
                              1. Shelter's do call the cops for independent verification if one goes to a woman's shelter claiming abuse.
                              2. Your attorney may have come from the DA and is probably fighting for you, however, I don't think the attorney can use immigration status in civil proceedings. It will prejudice the decision that the court will set up a higher standard for immigrants to follow. That alone will invalidate any divorce decision favorable to you.

If you do place immigration status as evidence. it opens up the Pandora's box where she can attack you personally. If you have not followed the procedures when you were married to adjust the status, if you are using immigration status as a control mechanism, if you want to use her immigration status that she is not entitled to any benefit from you, then you will be made to look more like a controller than anything else.
                              "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams on Defense of the boston Massacre

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation